Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

any idea how to downgrade the xbox series firmware?

the dolby vision update makes me loss
1. ALLM
2. VRR

both of them greyed out. Xbox series S, LG CX.
Please try to check your TV settings. Maybe your TV went to a dolby vision mode (and not back) and does not support VRR and ALLM in this mode. If the xbox does not show up the features, the TV does not report those features back.
I had to deactivate DV on my xbox because else my x900h TV does not have a game-mode and the lag makes games unplayable.

Please try to check your TV settings. Maybe your TV went to a dolby vision mode (and not back) and does not support VRR and ALLM in this mode. If the xbox does not show up the features, the TV does not report those features back.
I had to deactivate DV on my xbox because else my x900h TV does not have a game-mode and the lag makes games unplayable.

The TV was in normal hdr mode as I was using 120hz and Dolby vision only works for 60hz on lg CX.

Forza Horizon 5 Series S footage in 60fps Performance mode.

There are some very serious cutbacks in comparison to Series X Performance mode. Still time to improve things, but this would pretty well explain how FH5 looks so amazing(on Series X). They truly aimed for a next gen target for the flagship version, and so other versions will need heavy paring back.

Forza Horizon 5 Series S footage in 60fps Performance mode.

There are some very serious cutbacks in comparison to Series X Performance mode. Still time to improve things, but this would pretty well explain how FH5 looks so amazing(on Series X). They truly aimed for a next gen target for the flagship version, and so other versions will need heavy paring back.

Two things I really liked about that.
  • An apparent large focus on the audio of the game. Yes!
    • I wonder if they are making heavy use of the audio acceleration hardware?
  • The stories sound more interesting and might be enough to get me to try a driving game for the first time since the early 2000s.
Regards,
SB

What's so bad that it needs improving?
I think anybody who watches the video and has any reasonable eye for graphics will see the massive cutbacks that have been made. Did I make a mistake in assuming that people on this forum would understand this stuff better than your average gaming forum? :/

Just from the off, the extreme pop-in and lack of anti-aliasing are wildly noticeable. Are you really unable to notice this?

Just from the off, the extreme pop-in and lack of anti-aliasing are wildly noticeable.

So how do you improve upon what they delivered with only 4TFs RDNA2? What do you suggest they scale back instead?

They can reduce the population in the town :LOL:
I assume the game is dynamic daylight, you would assume it is since its open world but I havent seen any driving at night.
I'ld look at doing something with the shadows, it looks like 2 cascade SM.
Get rid of the parallax texture mapping

I think anybody who watches the video and has any reasonable eye for graphics will see the massive cutbacks that have been made. Did I make a mistake in assuming that people on this forum would understand this stuff better than your average gaming forum? :/
It's always a bonus to point out your observations even if they seem obvious to you. As well as someone possibly just missing them, there are going to be different levels of experience in the B3D userbase including 'novices' who will learn to observe given good instruction and examples.

Edit: More than that after just skipping through the video, it doesn't show the two versions so someone like myself unfamiliar with FH5 on XSX can't have any idea what's different on XSS!

Btw turns out my luck with electronics also happen to my XSS. The outer plastic shell/case is bent!

I've half disassemble it (surprisingly easy. MS helpfully marked the opening directions, the screws to unscrew) and yes it's still bent. Hopefully will have some time to try opening the whole thing this weekend.

Btw turns out my luck with electronics also happen to my XSS. The outer plastic shell/case is bent!
Weird. Devices like consoles are typically made from thermosetting plastic. Once set, it will aggressively revert to its original shape and it does not dent easily, and unless pressure is constantly exerted, doesn't bend easily either. A bend that doesn't revert generally means it was heated up, re-shaped then cooled again. :runaway:

If you could get an analog video signal out of this without the need for an HDMI converter there would be a huge amount of retro gamers buying these.

Games That Show the Biggest Difference Between the Xbox Series X and S
The Xbox Series S was marketed as an entry-level Series X that offered the same experiences at lower resolutions. A year into the generation, that promise hasn't quite panned out that way. Many games strip back visual settings on top of the resolution sacrifice, but others go a step further with major missing features and different frame-rate targets. This article lists three games that showcase the greatest disparities between Microsoft's ninth-gen offerings.

Back