AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Lossless Scaling (and Magpie) Mini-guide (both Windows utilities that enable FSR for all your games)

LOSSLESS SCALING EASY WAY (AUTO)
  1. Start Lossless Scaling and select FSR as the scale type
  2. Launch any game in windowed mode
  3. Set the game resolution to the resolution you want to scale the game from (i.e. 1600x900 to 1440p)
  4. Set the scale factor to Auto, HDR Support checkbox if you want to, etc
  5. With the game running at for instance, 1600x900 windowed, use the hotkey or the "Scale in 5 sec." button to enable FSR
The game window will automatically maximize to your native monitor/TV resolution. Voilá. Lovely :smile2:

MAGPIE

Also Windows has another utility, FREE and open source.

Magpie not only works on games but also works on videos and movies. :)

More info about Mabpie and to download the english version here:

Last edited:
LOSSLESS SCALING (MANUAL) - Mini guide
  1. Start Lossless Scaling and select FSR as the scale type
  2. Launch any game in windowed mode
  3. Set the game resolution to the resolution you want to scale the game from (i.e. 1600x900 to 1440p)
  4. Set the scale factor you prefer
  • 1.3 = Ultra Quality
  • 1.5 = Quality
  • 1.7 = Balanced
  • 2.0 = Performance
Then, like on Auto, use the hotkey to enable it or the "Scale in 5 sec." option and you are done.

In "Manual" mode you can check the option "Force resize" for most games. Or disable it for those game which arent very compatible with it.

Quality modes and scale factors:

amd-fsr-quality-mode-dev-chart-01.jpg

I shall share some screengrabs of games running with Lossless Scaling on later.

Imsgli tool also allows to zoom the screengrab in, a la Digital Foundry. In that case you can see a more pronounced difference (the art in the pillars of Sonic All Stars, the stands or billboards in the F1 game, etc) even though 1768x992 is more akin to FSR Quality than Ultra Quality. Still, it is a laudation to the quality of this technique when you need to zoom in to actually see important differences.

On a different note...

Call of Duty Vanguard to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) - VideoCardz.com

Wow.... You have a keen eye. So glad to know he is a contributor.

MAGPIE is awesome. And FREE! (I use it now instead of Lossless Scaling)

It adds FSR, and other upscaling algorithms such as Lanczos, RAVU, FSRCNNX, AVNet, Anime4K, Integer Scale 2x, and Integer Scale 4x.

The difference is that it works in any window! Even on notepad, or Paint or Youtube, VLC video player, etc etc. :mrgreen::D

It's super easy to use.

1) You run Magpie.

2) Launch the game you want to rescale, in window mode and set the resolution from which you want to upscale (1920x1080, 1600x900, 1768x992, etc)

3) You press the key combination to run it (Alt + F11) (use same hotkey to disable it) and voilá. It's wonderful!

You can download the latest version here, which is also translated into English.

Release v0.6.1 · Blinue/Magpie · GitHub

LOSSLESS SCALING or MAGPIE?

Magpie's advantages
- It's free.
- Most importantly, NO negative performance gains (for whatever reason, some games when used with Lossless Scaling, fare worse framerate wise with FSR and using a lesser resolution than at native resolution), shrug
. Easier to use.
- More versatile.
- Can be launched with Windows.
- It has an internal framerate counter.

Lossless Scaling's advantages
- Lossless Scaling has better HDR support.

It's about personal choice, because both do a great job.

I find myself using Magpie more though.

My first screengrabs comparison featuring Magpie. :love:

Divinity Original Sin 1 Enhanced Edition Native 1440p vs FSR 1600x900 MAGPIE - Imgsli

Life is Strange Native 1440p vs FSR 1768x992 MAGPIE - Imgsli

In the end, the most important thing for me about this upscaling techniques is that before I used to drop settings left and right but never drop native 1440p, 'cos anything below that looked HORRIBLE. :mad: But now even playing games a 1366x768 to achieve 165fps, sure dont look perfect, but my eyes wont bleed anymore. :yes:

Magpie is working much better for me. Lossless Scaling in some games runs like a 70-90% slower -better than native, but not good compared to Magpie- for whatever reason.

At first I thought it was due to the HDR support, the readme of Lossless Scaling says
  • 'HDR Support' is needed if your game and hardware support HDR output. It consumes a little more GPU computation and twice as much VRAM.
I thought this was the issue and disabled it, but the numbers were about the same.

Then instead of the default FSR I used FSR Lite, which the readme describes as:
  • FSR Lite
    An optimized version of AMD FSR, which is better suited to less powerful GPUs, but has slightly worse quality
Neither it solved the issue.

Ryse Son of Rome, which works with Auto HDR looks really great and performs well -not as good as Magpie but 60fps 900p is the norm-. However, there are slight performance drops to 55-58fps, but worst of all, sometimes the game is working but for unknown reasons the image remains still, as if the game had frozen, but it didn't....you can hear every move you do with your character and enemies surrounding you. This usually happens after a few seconds of gameplay. This never ever happens with Magpie, shrug.

a pet peeve of mine, Mass Effect Andromeda (prefer it over ME1, 2 and 3), is running at "1440p" 60fps on my machine and I can't believe it.

Using Magpie I got it running at 1706x960 -FSR Quality for a native 1440p TV or monitor- and 60fps with superb graphics.

It is one of the most impressive games -graphics wise- of the past decade, along with Star Wars Battlefront II.

And on my GTX 1080 I remember running it a 1440p native and 60fps with a 115% resolution scale. Those were the limits of the great GTX 1080, the GPU got hot -like 72ºC and fans were spinning quite a lot-

When the fans of the GTX 1080 started to fail, I plugged the GTX 1060 3 GB in.

The experience in ME: Andromeda and the likes was horrible in comparison. Can't blame the GPU though. But I just couldn't run the game at 1440p even on low settings, at decent framerates (by that I mean at least 30).

Getting it running at GTX 1080 quality levels using a humble GTX 1060 3GB, gosh. I couldn't believe my eyes, and the fps counter :mrgreen: (60fps, very very stable, with most settings at Max save shadows which I set to Medium and AO which I set to "simple" SSAO).

Last edited:
btw, ME: Andromeda has a quite unique (and painful) way to treat the game in Windowed mode.

In that mode, the game sets the window's screen to 1280x720p by default.

You have to manually resize it by dragging the edges of the window, toggle between window and fullscreen in the settings and it tells you on the left what is the actual resolution.. lol.

I set it to 1706x960 by doing that on my native 1440p display.

SxMowo6.png

HDR turns off in windowed mode. The game runs at rock solid 60fps using those settings, save for cinematics, where it varies, but the temperature is lower overall than when I played on the GTX 1080 and it runs as smooth if not better, it's a VERY good experience.

I love that you're creating what seems to be the most comprehensive performance + IQ data on forced FSR in the Internet @Cyan.
Congrats and thank you!

Question : Cyan do you have monitor drivers installed ?
it's just that the game has your monitor listed as generic pnp monitor thats generally what happens when you dont have the monitor drivers installed

When the fans of the GTX 1080 started to fail, I plugged the GTX 1060 3 GB in.

The experience in ME: Andromeda and the likes was horrible in comparison. Can't blame the GPU though. But I just couldn't run the game at 1440p even on low settings, at decent framerates (by that I mean at least 30).

Getting it running at GTX 1080 quality levels using a humble GTX 1060 3GB, gosh. I couldn't believe my eyes, and the fps counter :mrgreen: (60fps, very very stable, with most settings at Max save shadows which I set to Medium and AO which I set to "simple" SSAO).

So which of those statements is true ? The 1030 wouldnt run at 30fps at low settings or it ran at 60fps most settings at max ?

Back