Rumor: There may be a cheaper 500GB Xbox Series Seagate SSD.

Dr. Nick

Veteran
According to a report from XboxSquad.fr, a listing for a 500GB SSD option from Seagate has appeared on wholesale retailer Innelec's internal systems. The listing suggests this costs around 125 euros, making it cost roughly half that of the 1TB version, as you might expect.
Report: There may be a cheaper 500GB Xbox Series X|S Seagate storage card on the way | Windows Central

This should have been available on launch day IMO. I'm waiting for a 2TB or 4TB version to be honest.

Well, 500GB is quite useless IMHO. It is ok to get an upgrade for a lower price, but it does not really make sense because much space is already lost as you have than 2 different SSDs and you can't split up games, so you will always have some "lost" space with every additional SSD. Also it is important to always leave some space be free so the SSD doesn't write itself dead.

The price is another thing. Yes you are paying extra for the form-factor (small high-speed chips are expensive) but still 125€ is a bit to much. I really expected something in the range of 80€ as normale 1TB SSDs are already in that price range.

btw, also waiting for 2 & 4 TB sticks. Everything else does not really make sense (again IMHO).

I want this...

E_rq88oUYAAWUep

Too bad it's a fan mock up.

Tommy McClain

More choice in available capacities would be nice. Hopefully this is an indication that 2TB and larger options are coming soon.

Even though I'm short on space I'm reluctant to purchase the current 1TB option. With only one expansion port on the console I'd prefer 2TB at minimum.
I want this...

E_rq88oUYAAWUep

Too bad it's a fan mock up.

Tommy McClain
This would be pretty cool.

Well, the nice thing about Microsoft's solution for added storage is that it's hot swappable. So, without turning off the console, you should be able to easily take out an expansion drive and stick in another expansion drive. The only inconvenience is that the expansion slot is in the back. Considering it's hot swappable, it would have been a better idea to put it at the front of the console, IMO.

Basically this means that the amount of storage you have for your games is basically unlimited, well, still limited by your budget I guess. :p Finish playing a game and a game you want is on another drive? Just swap drives and start up the other game without turning the console off.

Granted, a larger drive will always be more convenient, but in theory (if you have a lot of money) you never have to uninstall a game again for the rest of your life. :D

Of course, I haven't see reports from anyone that has tried this, so who knows if MS screwed something up that would prevent you from using the expansion drives like this.

Regards,
SB

I've seen streamers use this to fast copy games to their wife's system, both are powered on and not power cycled. Works like a charm. Have the game on the external card, pop it out of the Series X, pop it into Series S, copy to internal drive, pop the card out, place back into Series X and start the game, start up game for wife on Series S and they're in the game and playing together rather quickly.

Well, 500GB is quite useless IMHO. It is ok to get an upgrade for a lower price, but it does not really make sense because much space is already lost as you have than 2 different SSDs and you can't split up games, so you will always have some "lost" space with every additional SSD. Also it is important to always leave some space be free so the SSD doesn't write itself dead.

The price is another thing. Yes you are paying extra for the form-factor (small high-speed chips are expensive) but still 125€ is a bit to much. I really expected something in the range of 80€ as normale 1TB SSDs are already in that price range.

btw, also waiting for 2 & 4 TB sticks. Everything else does not really make sense (again IMHO).

They are hot swappable. So you can have a 500 gig drive filled with games plus your main storage of 1tb when you out grow that you can buy a 1tb drive and in total have 2.5 tb of storage. Keep certain games on your 500gig and certain ones on your 1tb and the most played games on systems. Some games like COD may end up filling a 500gig drive or close to it at some point so you can simply have a call of duty cart

I am also almost 100% certain that someone will make a drive hub for the system with a wire connected in the back that runs to a small hub allowing you to put a few drives in it and have easy access for it.

I'd also expect a 2TB option over the next year , I think segate/ms are just waiting for the single chip 2TB options to come in
MDI0eDUzMC5qcGc

Don't think there is enough room in there for two 1tb chips.

Last thoughts , I wonder when the segate deal ends and we see other companies tackle this. Perhaps this holiday season is the last exclusive block for segate ?

They are hot swappable. So you can have a 500 gig drive filled with games plus your main storage of 1tb when you out grow that you can buy a 1tb drive and in total have 2.5 tb of storage. Keep certain games on your 500gig and certain ones on your 1tb and the most played games on systems. Some games like COD may end up filling a 500gig drive or close to it at some point so you can simply have a call of duty cart

I am also almost 100% certain that someone will make a drive hub for the system with a wire connected in the back that runs to a small hub allowing you to put a few drives in it and have easy access for it.

I'd also expect a 2TB option over the next year , I think segate/ms are just waiting for the single chip 2TB options to come in
MDI0eDUzMC5qcGc

Don't think there is enough room in there for two 1tb chips.

Last thoughts , I wonder when the segate deal ends and we see other companies tackle this. Perhaps this holiday season is the last exclusive block for segate ?
Yes, hot-swapable is nice, but 500GB is still very tiny and you will loose much space just because you will leave some space empty on every "stick" you have. The bigger the drive the smaller this "footprint" will be in comparison to it's size.

A 2 chip solution might be possible by using a double sided solution. That might produce more heat, but in this case the chips don't need to be so fast to reach the minimal bandwidth. But the latency would be higher (well doubled when just reaching the same bandwidth with 2 chips) with lower frequencies. Don't really know if that is a thing. So far this is the only thing I can think of because they only have this one-chip solution. A multi-chip solution can be even cheaper than a single high-frequency chip.

Yes, hot-swapable is nice, but 500GB is still very tiny and you will loose much space just because you will leave some space empty on every "stick" you have. The bigger the drive the smaller this "footprint" will be in comparison to it's size.

A 2 chip solution might be possible by using a double sided solution. That might produce more heat, but in this case the chips don't need to be so fast to reach the minimal bandwidth. But the latency would be higher (well doubled when just reaching the same bandwidth with 2 chips) with lower frequencies. Don't really know if that is a thing. So far this is the only thing I can think of because they only have this one-chip solution. A multi-chip solution can be even cheaper than a single high-frequency chip.

It all depends on how ocd you want to be I guess. If you really want to figure out how to fill the card then you can move games around until you fill it up to almost 100% right

I dunno how they would go about expanding the capcity. It looks like from the tear down that there isn't room on the other side for a chip but maybe a redesign of the caddy would work ?

Double sided isn't possble without extending the length of the expansion card due to the limited thickness in order to fit into the slot. And if you extend the length of the card, then there's no reason you'd necessarily need to go double sided.

Basically unless MS wants to change the form factor of the expansion cards, then they will be limited to a single NAND chip. Larger quantities will eventually come as NAND chip capacities increase. The question is whether MS will eventually change the form factor (longer? L shaped?) to allow for multi-chip expansion SSDs.

Regards,
SB

Double sided isn't possble without extending the length of the expansion card due to the limited thickness in order to fit into the slot. And if you extend the length of the card, then there's no reason you'd necessarily need to go double sided.

Basically unless MS wants to change the form factor of the expansion cards, then they will be limited to a single NAND chip. Larger quantities will eventually come as NAND chip capacities increase. The question is whether MS will eventually change the form factor (longer? L shaped?) to allow for multi-chip expansion SSDs.

Regards,
SB
Ah, yes. Totally forgot that most of the card is inside of the slot and only a small part is outside.

Back