Dying Light 2

New game play footage and it seems like the data was leaked for Dec. I really loved the first one
Me too. This one's had a rocky production ride and is now, I think, on its third writer following the departure of Chris Avellone. I would have been happy with an evolution of the original game's mechanics. Zombies + Parkour = WIN! :yes:

Oh, I'll be PC all the way on this one, but mostly because all of my friends and I played the first game together on PC. But if you get it on Xbox, it will probably be a game that runs at 120fps and 8k on Xbox Series X2 in 7 years!

Oh, I'll be PC all the way on this one, but mostly because all of my friends and I played the first game together on PC. But if you get it on Xbox, it will probably be a game that runs at 120fps and 8k on Xbox Series X2 in 7 years!
yea , wish it was a play anywhere title.

MS should really start pushing that more imo

yea , wish it was a play anywhere title.

MS should really start pushing that more imo
I think they're sort of pushing it via Game Pass. It's really hard to convince devs to put resources into making a game Windows Store compatible and use the Xbox back end when there's not going to be any direct sales from the store cause everyone's on Steam. Game Pass stuff that's on both devices just works though; save synching is seamless now, etc. And it's the primary way people are going to engage with that stuff on the PC.

If it comes to Game Pass it'll effectively end up being Play Anywhere.

There are plenty PC games on Gamepass that also have Xbox versions that don't sync saves, and aren't network compatible. Even though Bethesda had a pretty close working relationship with Microsoft, but AFIK none of their games support cross platform saves. Second Extinction from Systemic Reaction is in game preview on Xbox and Gamepass and has had a Steam early access release for about a year, and I'm pretty sure they use Azure for their networking (it's online only), and they have their own log in after you launch the game, and they don't sync game saves, unlocks, or loadouts across platforms. And there's no cross play either, although they say that's happening sometime.

Being in Gamepass isn't a guarantee that a title will be crossplay, crossbuy, or receive any of the benefits implied with a title being Play Anywhere.

I kind of lost interest in the game once Chris Avalone was no longer associated with it. Maybe the story will still turn out good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's either now bad, or it's far less complex and branching than it was originally going to be with Avalone behind the story writing.

Regards,
SB

I don't mind as long as its good. But who knows .
I'm a sucker who's going to buy this regardless of the reviews. Dying Light had plenty of 5 and 6 out of 10s at release, and maybe they were right. But the Dying Light we have now is not the Dying Light we have now. The post launch support has been insane for that game.

I kind of lost interest in the game once Chris Avalone was no longer associated with it. Maybe the story will still turn out good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's either now bad, or it's far less complex and branching than it was originally going to be with Avalone behind the story writing.

Regards,
SB
I doubt they threw out all his work.

The problem is whether they will be able to continue it sufficiently and if so will it make any sense?

Considering that another project he was associated with basically fell apart once he was no longer a part of the project (the new Vampire game), I suspect that both projects have had issues with continuing the stories that he was crafting. Regardless, we shall see. Unlike the Vampire game, Dying Light 2 is too well funded ... or should I say has had too many funds already sunk into it for it to be cancelled at this point.

I'm probably being overly skeptical, but what little we've heard out of this project since Avallone left hasn't exactly given me much hope that the final product will be good. They went from frequently talking about the game and boasting of its branching story to almost radio silence.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
They may given the circumstances in which he was fired. When those kind of allegations surface, some companies go full out scorched earth on content produced by the individual.

They had a media event and a lot of hands on impressions hit the web

Haven't watched them all but game informer says they played the ps4 pro version which ran really well and then on a high end pc (that is where the footage is from).

Other than that it seems like people liked what they played. Watching the video you can certainly see its last gen roots which is fine if the game is fun and runs well. Hopefully 4k 60fps will work

Damn, the cross gen stick hit this one hard. Looks a lot worse than earlier footage.

Considering that the game was always meant to be cross gen, if it looks worse than earlier footage it's certainly not due to being cross gen.

Considering the development troubles that the game has gone through (constant delays), it's more likely this would be the reason if it looks worse than original reveal.

Regards,
SB

as long as the engine isn't buggy and we can maintain 4k with high levels of fsaa and the best filtering then it should be fine look wise. I think game play is the most important

Considering that the game was always meant to be cross gen, if it looks worse than earlier footage it's certainly not due to being cross gen.
I've been wondering if they were going to drop last generation consoles just as they did with the original game, which was originally announced as coming to 360 and PS3 but which they dropped along the way.

Back