Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

if Steam Deck doesn't run ALL your games, Valve will consider it a bug.

FSR (if it works like Proton-GE this thing is going to run almost everything at 60fps) and Raytracing confirmed.

https://translate.google.com/transl...o-corre-todos-los-juegos-de-tu-biblioteca-de/

Lol , they never said they would run well. I am sure there will be one offs and other issues but I guess valve will make it a priority to get those working ?

Although with amd's scaling tech maybe you could get away with all those features on it. 600p to 800p I wonder how that would look

Last edited:
Lol , they never said they would run well. I am sure there will be one offs and other issues but I guess valve will make it a priority to get those working ?

Although with amd's scaling tech maybe you could get away with all those features on it. 600p to 800p I wonder how that would look
running, yes, games will run, maybe 100% of them. However, the true test is keeping them working without crashes, or hassle free -except for things like mods, which is understandable you need to tweak things yourself-.

I got most of my games to work on Linux, but not all, and some that run can crush. Still I am very happy with how games are running on Linux as of now.

ProtonDB helps to know which games actually work, but this one is a game that crushes often, at least on my rig, yet it receive positive feedback, so certain ratings might be deceitful.
https://www.protondb.com/app/409720

If you don't mind the crashes it is just fine

6 months ago
Stability:Frequently

It often crashes in menus, remember to save!

There are several reviews like that one, giving the game an okay but it crashes at random. Perhaps Valve staff using Protontricks and Winetricks will solve the issues with any game.

They are going to change the format of the intros and stuff in some games for formats not supported anymore or incompatible.

new Steam Deck competitor, as mentioned in the article: OneXPlayer 1S. It's a 2,5K screen as it seems to be more powerful than Steam Deck.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/onexplayer-1s-gaming-cpu-upgrade

"So, how much of a gaming powerhouse is the Onexplayer 1S? Well, the company claims it can handle Monster Hunter: World at an average of 60fps with default settings, while the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2 maintains around of 46.9fps. This is thanks to the Iris Xe onboard graphics baked into Intel’s 11th gen gaming CPUs, "

Looks like they may be in mass production

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675180/view/2963920750895461227

I know they are dev kits but man there are a lot and its getting close to dec

6547cd3d456974ffe243470bcfde208070f96eb7.png

Some devs have gotten them

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/2984186817523157399

new steamworks sdk with deck support

Several Steam Deck-related functions for developer use were added in the latest Steamworks SDK update:

• Added IsSteamRunningOnSteamDeck - Can be used to optimize the experience of the game on Steam Deck, such as scaling the UI appropriately, applying performance related settings, etc.

• Added SetGameLauncherMode - In game launchers that don't have controller support you can call this to have Steam Input translate the controller input into mouse/kb to navigate the launcher.

• Added AppResumingFromSuspend_t callback - Sent after the device returns from sleep/suspend mode.

• Added ShowFloatingGamepadTextInput - Activates the modal gamepad input keyboard which pops up over game content and sends OS keyboard keys directly to the game. Note: Currently this is only implemented in the Steam Deck UI.

• Added FloatingGamepadTextInputDismissed_t callback - Sent after the floating gamepad input keyboard displayed via ShowFloatingGamepadTextInput has been dismissed.
Looks like some nice additions that will help quality of life wise on the deck

Nice, battery life is super important. I guess all of that will be done at the driver level, regardless of the OS.

Talking of which, after more than 2 months with Linux and some testing, barely using Windows 11 on my desktop, I am 100% sure I am going to install Windows 11 on the Steam Deck. :smile2:

On my desktop computer I will be switching between both operating systems, but after more than 2 months of using and testing Linux, I am a bit tired.

I'm happy how my games are performing on Linux though. Most of them launch well (took some time and distro hopping to achieve that).

That said..., it's not all birds singing and happy moments.

There are still crashes for no apparent reason.

An hour ago I was playing Redout. The game was running at a very high framerate with FSR on, and then the framerate driopped to about 23 to 30 fps, and stabilised there. Wth????

A dizzying slide dance., a little annoying. So yeah, I like Linux very much, but I prefer Windows 11, thanks.

Nice, battery life is super important. I guess all of that will be done at the driver level, regardless of the OS.

Talking of which, after more than 2 months with Linux and some testing, barely using Windows 11 on my desktop, I am 100% sure I am going to install Windows 11 on the Steam Deck. :smile2:

On my desktop computer I will be switching between both operating systems, but after more than 2 months of using and testing Linux, I am a bit tired.

I'm happy how my games are performing on Linux though. Most of them launch well (took some time and distro hopping to achieve that).

That said..., it's not all birds singing and happy moments.

There are still crashes for no apparent reason.

An hour ago I was playing Redout. The game was running at a very high framerate with FSR on, and then the framerate driopped to about 23 to 30 fps, and stabilised there. Wth????

A dizzying slide dance., a little annoying. So yeah, I like Linux very much, but I prefer Windows 11, thanks.

Yes I will have windows 11 on mine too , I hope someone creates a really quick dual boot launcher. My 18 year old steam library is large but game pass is also really nice to have. I just don't know if windows 11 will work on the deck. Doesn't the screen have to be a certain size and resolution ?

Yes I will have windows 11 on mine too , I hope someone creates a really quick dual boot launcher. My 18 year old steam library is large but game pass is also really nice to have. I just don't know if windows 11 will work on the deck. Doesn't the screen have to be a certain size and resolution ?

720p, so it's ok.

Edit: actually it also has a 9" size recommendation. So maybe needs magnifying glass. :D

720p, so it's ok.

Edit: actually it also has a 9" size recommendation. So maybe needs magnifying glass. :D

It works fine when I used switch to remote desktop to my windows 10 computer. But I can't remember it auto scales to make things larger or not

720p, so it's ok.

lol could be , i've used windows 8 and 10 on smaller screens so i can make due as i would most likely just launch from steam and xbox apps anyway.

not necessarily, there are "recommended" specs but things like the GPD Win 3 for instance, which is 720p works perfectly fine.

Dual boot would be fine with me. It's how I've set up my desktop computer.

You first install Windows then Linux (not the other way around 'cos Windows overwrites Linux partition system). You could leave Linux isntalled in the internal drive and then install Windows 11 in a external SD card, which makes dual booting better and you have the best of both worlds.

In the end you are going to need external SD cards, yes o yes

not necessarily, there are "recommended" specs but things like the GPD Win 3 for instance, which is 720p works perfectly fine.

Dual boot would be fine with me. It's how I've set up my desktop computer.

You first install Windows then Linux (not the other way around 'cos Windows overwrites Linux partition system). You could leave Linux isntalled in the internal drive and then install Windows 11 in a external SD card, which makes dual booting better and you have the best of both worlds.

In the end you are going to need external SD cards, yes o yes

I was thinking of an external ssd with an usb enclosure for when i want to game. I really wish someone made a usb m.2 2230 holder.

I was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/ElecGear-224...d=1631805931&sprefix=m.2+2230,aps,180&sr=8-14

It be even better if it was usb c.

You can see the size diffrences here

b3YtbWluLmpwZw

a 2230 would be extremely light and wouldn't be bulky. You could even design it so it clips on up top and not hang off.

I was thinking of an external ssd with an usb enclosure for when i want to game. I really wish someone made a usb m.2 2230 holder.

I was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/ElecGear-2242-Hard-Enclosure-Magenets/dp/B082CFQYKR/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2SMBWD2R1BKTL&dchild=1&keywords=m.2+2230+ssd+enclosure&qid=1631805931&sprefix=m.2+2230,aps,180&sr=8-14

It be even better if it was usb c.

You can see the size diffrences here

b3YtbWluLmpwZw

a 2230 would be extremely light and wouldn't be bulky. You could even design it so it clips on up top and not hang off.
a very interesting approach I haven't though of. I was thinking about getting either the 256GB or the 512GB model and run open world games there or games that need to quickly stream data from the disk, then buy a typical 1TB -or larger- Micro SD card, I could live with it.
dont worry about that, Windows 11 will be fully supported. If they dont, I expect many units to be returned when issues start to arise on Linux. It's a great OS and whatever, but it's just a miracle that Windows games run so well at all.

Some of the confusion seems to appear from an IGN interview, where Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais mentioned how "we haven't really found something that we could throw at this device that it couldn't handle" that we covered before. Here's the thing though: even though the Steam Deck will ship by default with the Arch Linux based SteamOS 3, they have also been testing Windows 10 and they've been working with AMD to get it supported on Windows 11 too. So speaking from a hardware standpoint, yes it probably will work with the vast majority of games on a performance level.

I've warned about it, I've been playing for more than 2 months many of my games on Linux and...

Valve spoke a little bit more about the Steam Deck, to clarify the situation on supporting the whole Steam library (Linux compatibility). As expected, they are deflating expectations a bit, saying that they do intend the Steam Deck to be able to run all steam games hardware wise, but that Proton might not bring 100% game compatibility.

Clearing up what games will and won't run on the Steam Deck | GamingOnLinux

Yes, games will run, many of them ran on my computer, but for them to be 100% stable.., I just don't see it, it's impossible. Random crashes, games that work a few seconds and return to the desktop, other just wont start no matter what and so on and so forth....

Last edited:
Just want to repeat, Valve needs to strongarm AMD into releasing a multiuser GPU driver so they can seamlessly switch betwen Linux and a Windows VM.

Just want to repeat, Valve needs to strongarm AMD into releasing a multiuser GPU driver so they can seamlessly switch betwen Linux and a Windows VM.
do you mean running Windows 11 in a KVM with GPU passthrough on top of Linux?

Someone told me the CPU and motherboard must support IOMMU then, so you could just set up GPU passthrough on top of Linux, and then run Windows 11 in that KVM. In theory, you could run Windows 11 with the dedicated GPU in a KVM on the system. But I have no experience with that.

It's the only way I see for Linux to survive for more than a few seconds on the Steam Deck, at least in my case.

Steam Deck UI leaked:

Last edited:
a very interesting approach I haven't though of. I was thinking about getting either the 256GB or the 512GB model and run open world games there or games that need to quickly stream data from the disk, then buy a typical 1TB -or larger- Micro SD card, I could live with it.
dont worry about that, Windows 11 will be fully supported. If they dont, I expect many units to be returned when issues start to arise on Linux. It's a great OS and whatever, but it's just a miracle that Windows games run so well at all.

Some of the confusion seems to appear from an IGN interview, where Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais mentioned how "we haven't really found something that we could throw at this device that it couldn't handle" that we covered before. Here's the thing though: even though the Steam Deck will ship by default with the Arch Linux based SteamOS 3, they have also been testing Windows 10 and they've been working with AMD to get it supported on Windows 11 too. So speaking from a hardware standpoint, yes it probably will work with the vast majority of games on a performance level.

Micro SD 1TB cards are all around $150. That is why I was looking at that enclosure . This will fit its 1tb FOR $150 which is the cost of a 1TB micro sd card and is 2.5GB/s read and 2.1GB/s write the enclosure I linked to before is only capable of 1GB/s and I don't think the usb 3.2 can do much more than that anyway.

I will do a $50 micro sd 512 for $40ish and the 256gig inside the system along with a set up like this a little further down the line

do you mean running Windows 11 in a KVM with GPU passthrough on top of Linux?
It only has one GPU. The only alternative to multi-user drivers would be using hibernation to switch between OS's, but that's going to be a lot slower.

Still, would be nice if the deck automated switching between hibernated OS's if that's the best option.

It only has one GPU. The only alternative to multi-user drivers would be using hibernation to switch between OS's, but that's going to be a lot slower.

Still, would be nice if the deck automated switching between hibernated OS's if that's the best option.
hmmmm, yeah, it seems you need 2 GPUs. The GPU passthrough is a superb idea, but not possible on the Steam Deck.

GitHub - bryansteiner/gpu-passthrough-tutorial

I have a GTX 1080 (but the fans arent working properly) and 2 GTX 1060 3GB (one of which I am using as of now) that are a gift from a sibling of mine and have sentimental value.

That guide is something I could follow. I love Linux but I refuse to play on it. I did that for 2 months and the experience is surprisingly ok, but 70-80% of my games showed issues. On Windows 11 everything goes as smooth as butter in that sense.

With this solution though, you can get the best of both worlds. That being said, with 2 1060 3GB that are the EXACT same model, I gotta be careful when selecting the one that will use Windows exclusively -connected to the Displayport, to enjoy Freesync and 165Hz- while Linux is connected to the HDMI port (144Hz, no Freesync, not necessary for OS stuff).

The first thing I am gonna do after getting the Steam Deck is installing Windows 11. To fiddle I have my desktop computer. On the Deck, I just want to play games

Back