Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

I think your opinion counts because you own one, right? And a PS5 and a high spec PC. If anything your opinion is one with the least bias.
I’m not sure how to take this, yes I own then all - I had a XSX and downgraded as I got a 3070 so felt it was overkill.

I really like the XSS but when prices drop (or when I have enough MS rewards points) I will re-upgrade to XSX.

I think the XSS is a great little machine, the SSD size and lack of optical is a bit of a shame but otherwise it’s a great little console and I think ideal for parents to get kids if the can stomach digital purchases or CoD lol

Not everything has to be in comparison to the competition.
Can be measured in comparison to how they did before.
The combined sales of serie X and S in Japan are still lower then that of XBox One were in the same time period, and XBO sold like about a quarter of what 360 did. By the way, the split between serie X and S should be around 70/30, so I don't see where this narrative of the success of serie S come from

Obviously, congratulations to MS on nabbing another 0.5% of the market and doubling their slice of the pie. I was just taken aback by the initial comment and thought it was actually doing well…my mistake…I’ll remember in future that all comments in all dedicated threads must be as if in a vacuum that it is the only product on the planet.

I included the article for you to read. I thought it was interesting that MS felt they were experience success with the series s

Why is it a competition ?
It's a competitive commercial market with a limited number of people wanting/able to game on a console.

Some gamers will buy all platforms, but for the everybody else the console manufacturers are competing with each other for those consumers will not buy all platforms.

I included the article for you to read. I thought it was interesting that MS felt they were experience success with the series s
And they don’t say that at all.

They use clever marketing words like unprecedented demand…and what else would they say? ‘We’ve failed again but not quite so much this time’?

I’m not sure this is specific to XSS, but recently a game stopped working on QR - it will suspend but if I start another game it will then essentially end the other game so it’s acting like QR not working…but suspend is, does that make sense?

Has anyone come across this issue?

I’m not sure this is specific to XSS, but recently a game stopped working on QR - it will suspend but if I start another game it will then essentially end the other game so it’s acting like QR not working…but suspend is, does that make sense?

Has anyone come across this issue?

I've had some issues with some games and QR. There's a certain amount of spottiness. Some of it stems from when my daughter and I are playing the same game.

I've had some issues with some games and QR. There's a certain amount of spottiness. Some of it stems from when my daughter and I are playing the same game.
just me playing and the game used to work fine - it’s weird how it just started playing up, maybe delete and reinstall may help.

Last edited:
hiya, anyone know whether microsoft has unlocked HDR for any resolution other than 4K?

A few months ago, HDR was still locked for 4K https://www.neogaf.com/threads/no-hdr-with-1440p-120fps-on-xbox-series-s-x.1602548/page-3

"xbox ambassador" says it will be added in an update but no certain dates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...series-x/cf4a830c-e656-45aa-b1da-6eae11855fa9

EDIT
uh... turns out this issue has been on xbox since xbox one, and inherited by xbox series, and according to a post on july, this issue still hasnt been fixed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...p/7d343744-5884-4fa5-a476-8c41c14b210a?page=8

I thought the 1S supported HDR, that was one of the reasons for the bump in speed.
What circumstances does a game support HDR on 1S?

turns out xbox series SSD can be cloned Xbox Series X SSD Replacement & Cloning Experiments - YouTube

this makes me think, what happen if you cloned xbox series S ssd to series X ssd with the partition resized to use 1TB. could be an alternative (cheaper?) method to upgrade series s SSD in the future.

Considering that MS sources the NVME SSD from multiple vendors, I wonder if/when MS will allow other SSD makers to make external SSDs for the XBS consoles? If they can make the internal drive for MS, there's no reason (other than licensing) why they couldn't also make external drives for the XBS consoles.

Regards,
SB

Considering that MS sources the NVME SSD from multiple vendors, I wonder if/when MS will allow other SSD makers to make external SSDs for the XBS consoles? If they can make the internal drive for MS, there's no reason (other than licensing) why they couldn't also make external drives for the XBS consoles.

Regards,
SB

I hope they do allow it and it brings the price down. Our S is usually at 95% plus full. Streaming might be a bit of a fix but we'll probably still want a bit more storage.

Regards,
SB

The card is just a standard CF Express, but it seems thr Xbox os have some kind of whitelist.

Although AFAIK no one has tried to use a different ssd plugged there with the data/partitions cloned.

But currently CF express cards are way more expensive than Xbox Series expansion card.

So currently if you have devices that use CF express cards, it's cheaper to buy Xbox series expansion card and format it and use it on yiur device.

Interesting, but did he just forget to clone the xbox series s SSD onto the bigger one?
yep, and he already showed before that.... that ssd swap without cloning wont work. probably he did the video on the fly, without a script. so he forget things

I am sure in the future there will be more options than just the external card. I wouldn't be surprised if a company comes out with a universal adapter for the slot that allows you to use a standard nvme drive

Back