Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

There's nothing special I see graphics wise. Actually, graphically, I think it looks poor say compared to Destiny 2 and Call of Duty.

Gameplay wise, it's limited from I have seen although I do believe there will be more maps etc. That said comparing to Destiny 2 and Call of Duty, gameplay is weak at this point in time.

Bots are poor from what I have seen but then I don't expect any actual MP gameplay to have any bots.

On PC there are a lot more better MP games, Rainbow 6 Siege, CSGO, Overwatch, Destiny 2, Call of Duty.

I was expecting to see something spectacular graphics wise but have been disappointed.

Game looks way better than D2, cod i dont know pretty much the same maybe slight worse hard to tell.
Lot more better MP games? You dont know that, everyone i watched streaming the game was excited about the game and how good it is, how good it feels.
There is nothing wrong to have a choice. More is better after all.
And MP is free yaaaay

Curious ... the Technical Test build has a 7.92 GB update today.

Gameplay wise, it's limited from I have seen although I do believe there will be more maps etc. That said comparing to Destiny 2 and Call of Duty, gameplay is weak at this point in time.
As long a long time Destiny Crucible player, I have no idea what you're talking about. Crucible was filled with a bunch of players who were forced to play it to get rewards, and PVE was forced to be played by Crucible players to obtain the exotic gear they needed to play crucible. No one was happy, the weapon and gear meta was always changing. They're constantly buffing and nerfing classes for PVE completely destroying the balance on PVP, and vice versa. There has never been any consistency one patch to the next, and they've barely added any unique modes to destiny outside of gambit.

The only reason people play the modes in crucible that are available, Trials, Ranked, etc, and all other modes that get little action is because they incentivize players to play them on weapon quests to obtain, incredibly OP weapons. It's a terrible grind just to compete on equal footing with other players.

All the other games you mentioned, none of them are traditional arena shooters. They aren't even the same game, the closest would have been destiny, and I use this extremely LOOSELY, because it has the same holy trinity, but it's tie in with PVE makes it completely off putting. The reality is Halo is the only title I know of that still follows the traditional Quake model, of map control, timed weapon drops and pick up spots, and timed power weapon spots, and timed gear spots with equal starts. Players play Halo entirely for its gameplay, there is no progression, you can't just 'level up' and get more guns and attachments and feel like you're progressing as a player; you actually need to earn it.

COD with its score streaks and super low TTK, allows players to kill 5-9 players in a single clip on a single hot streak, something that is virtually impossible in a game like Halo. It's not even the same game, I'm not even sure what you're trying to compare here.

any death match game where you bring your load out to play, will never play out like Quake and Halo. When Halo Infinite releases this year, given the population sizes it has over Quake today and going forward, Halo will be the definitive arena shooter for the category, that's just a fact, which is sad in a way because Quake is really the grand daddy of all competitive FPS. But alas, it's good to see that arena will still be kicking.

Last edited:
Graphically still pretty mediocre. Hopefully it's as fun as halo 3's multiplayer.

I agree but A) it's MP (are there ANY great looking multiplayer FPS B) on Xbox Series I believe it is 120 hz? Thats ridiculously demanding. RIDICULOUSLY.

Edit: yep just double checked some YT FPS tests. It runs in ~120 FPS on Series. That's nuts, and you really cant compare it to 60 let alone 30 FPS games. It's 2/4X as demanding. Then add on it's MP, it's based on the Xbox One, the hurdles just stack up.

I dont like it this way, if it was up to me It'd be a ground up 30 FPS Series X title. I dont even want 60 MP or the Series S to exist lol.

I'm sure people complain about PC, but I'm also sure that was based on the Xbox version.

The game graphics will shine if at all in campaign at 60 FPS (which is still double many popular games). This is not the place. I will agree it looks a bit drab for my tastes here though.

Anyways people seem to be liking this, guess I should have tried to get in. They seemed to be taking lots of people. I'm just not into Halo MP historically so I didn't want to mess with it or take a spot from someone who could give actual feedback.

Last edited:
As long a long time Destiny Crucible player, I have no idea what you're talking about. Crucible was filled with a bunch of players who were forced to play it to get rewards, and PVE was forced to be played by Crucible players to obtain the exotic gear they needed to play crucible. No one was happy, the weapon and gear meta was always changing. They're constantly buffing and nerfing classes for PVE completely destroying the balance on PVP, and vice versa. There has never been any consistency one patch to the next, and they've barely added any unique modes to destiny outside of gambit.

The only reason people play the modes in crucible that are available, Trials, Ranked, etc, and all other modes that get little action is because they incentivize players to play them on weapon quests to obtain, incredibly OP weapons. It's a terrible grind just to compete on equal footing with other players.

Cant agree. I LOVE Destiny crucible even though I'm not very good at it. It's what I do almost all the time in the game. For me PVE is almost like the "work" of the game to get to the fun which is PVP. I stopped raiding long ago, the only real goals of PVE for me nowdays are: get max power for use in level-enabled PVP, get weapons and gear to take back into PVP. Maybe get a title now and again. Although dont get me wrong, PVE is a nice low intensity break from PVP at times. I see a lot of Destiny streamers youtubers which behave the same, almost ignoring PVE, they barely know that side exists. Now, are we the majority in the game? Certainly not. But your statement is misleading at best for many.

Cant agree. I LOVE Destiny crucible even though I'm not very good at it. It's what I do almost all the time in the game. For me PVE is almost like the "work" of the game to get to the fun which is PVP. I stopped raiding long ago, the only real goals of PVE for me nowdays are: get max power for use in level-enabled PVP, get weapons and gear to take back into PVP. Maybe get a title now and again. Although dont get me wrong, PVE is a nice low intensity break from PVP at times. I see a lot of Destiny streamers youtubers which behave the same, almost ignoring PVE, they barely know that side exists. Now, are we the majority in the game? Certainly not. But your statement is misleading at best for many.
I think we actually are in agreement here.
This is what people who enjoy crucible go through, but the opposite effect for pve players who play gambit and crucible because it offers powerful rewards each week.
Destiny 2 pvp is _fun_. Flat out, there's no doubt it's a fun game. There are tons of builds to try, some ridiculously op, others novel etc. But the issue is there's never a time in which you feel as a player any sort of stability. It's like enjoying a game of chess but the starting board and pieces are constantly changing, and not necessarily in a fair manner.

They've had tons of issues trying to balance console and PC, hunters for instance are insanely OP on console but fairly in line with PC. And it' just comes down to high jump and controller sensitivity not being able to keep up.

The top and my favourite crucible subreddit died like last year during covid. They just shut it down. Warmind takes a constant snapshot of what players are doing and this is the landscape.

ZrzDrYV.jpg

Less than 20% of the population at any given moment is doing crucible activities, and that's with players chasing powerful rewards. I'm sure the numbers would be even less if they didn't put any rewards in there: just look at how low private crucible is for instance.

I don't disagree that Destiny is a fun pvp game. It's certainly fun, but that doesn't mean it's a great MP title. Having a hard time believing someone would look at crucible and declare Halo weak. It's clear they've never seen high level arena being played.

I kind of lump Destiny and Halo into the same bucket as I did Golden Eye back in 1997. The amount of mileage you get from them for arena/deathmatch is heavily dependent on not being exposed to better alternatives. I'll be really curious to see if Halo's slow gameplay, small maps, classic modes, and small player counts will draw an audience in an age where console players have gotten used to Overwatch, Apex, CoD, Fortnite, etc that all deliver something more. Classic arena/deathmatch FPS (on PC) has been eroding gradually ever since QWTF was introduced back in 1997. By the time Quake3/UT rolled around it was up against TFC, CS, DoD, RTCW/ET, and BF1942, all of which were drawing more new players. Since then we've had a similar makeup with TF2/Overwatch, CS/CoD/Valorant, and BF/battleroyale/Fortnite, while there's a ~15 year graveyard of failed arena games (Painkiller, Quake4, QuakeLive, Warsow, Shootmania, UT on UE4, Quake Champions, and recently Diabotical.)

IMO the direction Halo Infinite ought to have gone is something akin to Planetside, but they probably couldn't make that cross-generation.

Last edited:
Destiny PVP is normally too bloody annoying to play. Play slow and the spawn point already swapped when I reached the other side of the arena.

Play fast and I kept getting 1 hit killed by titan and shotguns.

Focus on capturing the flags and I am forced to use area denial weapons (e.g. Witherhoard) because teammates didn't help capturing at all.

Focus on getting accustomed to weapons is also useless as bungie keeps fucking around with the guns. Probably not really an issue with a mouse, but with a controller the feel of the weapons keeps changing substantially.

The only balanced mode for me is "momentum".

If halo infinite MP will be more consistent, and able to make players follows objectives, it'll be better for me than destiny, I think.

Destiny PVP is normally too bloody annoying to play. Play slow and the spawn point already swapped when I reached the other side of the arena.

Play fast and I kept getting 1 hit killed by titan and shotguns.

Focus on capturing the flags and I am forced to use area denial weapons (e.g. Witherhoard) because teammates didn't help capturing at all.

Focus on getting accustomed to weapons is also useless as bungie keeps fucking around with the guns. Probably not really an issue with a mouse, but with a controller the feel of the weapons keeps changing substantially.

The only balanced mode for me is "momentum".

If halo infinite MP will be more consistent, and able to make players follows objectives, it'll be better for me than destiny, I think.
Agreed, that could be frustrating for sure, and you're right, there were always spawn swaps. Most annoyingly for me, is that abilities were too effective at what they did. I'm not a fan of abilities that directly do damage/kill in the OHK range. Ability spam shouldn't be the game and it's very difficult for bungie to balance that aspect with each patch and each new addition of exotics and class changes - and of course what is OP for say pub stomping, has essentially no effect on trials since it's a straight 3v3 with no respawns.

So it's certainly awkward I think, the game was designed around pve (classes are specifically designed that way for raiding etc). PVP was added, additional game modes shoe horned in, with a bunch of weapons focused around PVE, but with catalysts that were probably more PVP oriented. All in all, you're going to be spending way more time grinding for gear than you are playing crucible. Sigh

Agreed, that could be frustrating for sure, and you're right, there were always spawn swaps. Most annoyingly for me, is that abilities were too effective at what they did. I'm not a fan of abilities that directly do damage/kill in the OHK range. Ability spam shouldn't be the game and it's very difficult for bungie to balance that aspect with each patch and each new addition of exotics and class changes - and of course what is OP for say pub stomping, has essentially no effect on trials since it's a straight 3v3 with no respawns.

So it's certainly awkward I think, the game was designed around pve (classes are specifically designed that way for raiding etc). PVP was added, additional game modes shoe horned in, with a bunch of weapons focused around PVE, but with catalysts that were probably more PVP oriented. All in all, you're going to be spending way more time grinding for gear than you are playing crucible. Sigh

yeah the 1 hit kill abilities are ridiculous, and bungie's balancing also ridiculous. They nerfed warlock 1 hit kill abilities to the ground, but they kept the titan 1 hit kill "boost" ability. The supers also got ridiculous nerfs while hunter homing ice storm still have wide area, still homing like mad, and once struct, unfreezing is useless as instantly got frozen again.

in older games, this is a non-issue as people can spin up private servers with their own balancing. the "classic" private servers where it sticks to launch-condition (so no nerf, no buffs) also usually have a good enough population.

curious how 343i will handle the balancing on halo infinite. will they follow bungie's ridiculous amounts of changes that substantially changes weapons/skills behavior? and keeps flips flopping every few months?

I can understand that Destiny requires extensive playtime to keep up with which can be highly frustrating. Current Destiny PvP should and could be better.

But after Halo4(awful) and them trying in Halo5 but ultimately boring me I can't see Halo to ever replace Destiny to me.

Halo needs a total redesign and IMHO no evolutionary fix can transform that game into 2020++. Its base design is 20 years old. What I've seen so far from Infinity is only better looking with a few new mechanics but still the same design.

I'm not even sure there is an acceptable solution to the problem but I thought the same about Doom. Here they managed a quality modernised version which a lot seem to enjoy.

I can understand that Destiny requires extensive playtime to keep up with which can be highly frustrating. Current Destiny PvP should and could be better.

But after Halo4(awful) and them trying in Halo5 but ultimately boring me I can't see Halo to ever replace Destiny to me.

Halo needs a total redesign and IMHO no evolutionary fix can transform that game into 2020++. Its base design is 20 years old. What I've seen so far from Infinity is only better looking with a few new mechanics but still the same design.

I'm not even sure there is an acceptable solution to the problem but I thought the same about Doom. Here they managed a quality modernised version which a lot seem to enjoy.

Halo 4 multiplayer was awful because Halo 4 multiplayer was not Halo multiplayer. It was easily the worst Halo MP experience they could have created. They changed so many things in Halo 4 MP that most Halo MP players absolutely hated it. Halo 5 started to make it more Halo like, but it still wasn't enough to bring most Halo MP players back.

When I look at the PC side of things. Halo 1 and Halo 3 multiplayer gets the most players. It's entirely possible that Halo 4 and Halo 5 MP were so bad that no matter what 343i does with Halo: Infinite MP, they may not be able to bring back people that loved Halo MP. Especially now, when there's so much competition for player's limited MP playtime.

TL: DR - Changing Halo MP was what lost them most of their MP player base.

That said, Destiny PvP MP is absolute dogshit, IMO. The constant weapon and class balancing and rebalancing in order to purposely shift the META to force people to play PVE to farm new weapons so Bungie can make money by making people that want to rank high in PvP buy season passes = shitty for people that just want to jump into some quick Arena matches. But because of this, for those quick Arena matches, you have to spend hours and hours farming unless you get lucky with drops. Bleh.

And I'm someone that actually enjoys Destiny PvE ... when I'm not forced to farm it in order to do well in PvP. On top of that because the PvP is so bad, Bungie has to incentivize people to play it so that there's actually people to matchmake against ... but that just makes PvP feel bad because you have people that just stand there with a macro that makes them move randomly so they don't kicked out of PvP just so they can get their weekly PvP matches in. Or people that actually play but they don't give a shit because they are just there to get their weekly PvP quota. So you end up with matches where the top 1-4 players are actually playing PvP while the rest are there doing fuck all. And that just isn't fun.

And if they got rid of those weekly PvP quotas? Then Destiny 2 PvP becomes a virtual wasteland that almost no one bothers playing.

Yeah, if I think about Arena style PvP? I can't think of any game that has worse Arena style PvP than Destiny 2.

Regards,
SB

So you end up with matches where the top 1-4 players are actually playing PvP while the rest are there doing fuck all. And that just isn't fun.

I've never experienced fake bot players on console. My problem with PvP is some toxic weapon class(GL), imbalances and streamers having latency advantages ruining a lot game experiences at the level the game's matchmake thinks I have to play.

I agree that Destiny PvP is not for the casuals for a variety of reasons but if you play the season PvE(which you seem to enjoy) you should have access to an useful weapon pool especially with them canceling their sunsetting BS.

I've never experienced fake bot players on console. My problem with PvP is some toxic weapon class(GL), imbalances and streamers having latency advantages ruining a lot game experiences at the level the game's matchmake thinks I have to play.

I agree that Destiny PvP is not for the casuals for a variety of reasons but if you play the season PvE(which you seem to enjoy) you should have access to an useful weapon pool especially with them canceling their sunsetting BS.

The weapon pool is a confusing mess. Various random perks with confusing names and icon (heck, some perks even have exact same icon, but completely different effect and names), Impact / damage bar that means completely different real damage, and the ridiculous amounts of nerf/buff that makes getting used to a weapon annoying.

The ridiculous amounts of random perks is really annoying especially with a full vault. Postmaster quickly became full, and it can take me 30 minutes to clean it up every week. Because it keeps getting filled up and I don't remember any of the perks so I need to consult the internet for each items.

Things became much more fun after I simply dismantle everything. The whole destiny experience also much better when I ignores the bounties. And play momentum PVP where almost all weapons basically 1-2 hit kills
So basically the nerf/buffs to damage means nothing, only the changes in weapon "feel" (stability, auto aim, bullet magnetism, and cross hair magnetism, etc) that still affect gameplay.

Although looking at destiny subreddit, people really loves the weapon changes, the ridiculous amounts of perks, and the shower of loot.

Hopefully halo infinite will be much more streamlined. So players can enjoy nice weapons without being showered by ridiculous amounts of weapons and confusing perk, and can get comfortably accustomed to weapons without fearing it will change every few weeks or months.

Even better if the devs fully supports players shenanigans like battlefield series (strapping c4 to cars, drones... Sniping a jet and stealing it... The infamous rendezook... Invincible helicopter with 2 engineers that fix in realtime... Etc)

Hopefully halo infinite will be much more streamlined. So players can enjoy nice weapons without being showered by ridiculous amounts of weapons and confusing perk, and can get comfortably accustomed to weapons without fearing it will change every few weeks or months.

Even better if the devs fully supports players shenanigans like battlefield series (strapping c4 to cars, drones... Sniping a jet and stealing it... The infamous rendezook... Invincible helicopter with 2 engineers that fix in realtime... Etc)
If anything, I would hope that they make huge maps that allow 32/64/128 player games. That would be awesome. I hope they take advantage of the vehicles in such large open maps ala Tribes Vengence. Imagine a Tribes Vengence type open map with CTF where you use the Warthog, Chopper Wraith, Tank to fight to capture the flag and return to your flag. That would be awesome imo!

I have missed a game like that for years now and think there a huge gap for such a game to be successful in the current MP/BR landscape.

If anything, I would hope that they make huge maps that allow 32/64/128 player games. That would be awesome. I hope they take advantage of the vehicles in such large open maps ala Tribes Vengence. Imagine a Tribes Vengence type open map with CTF where you use the Warthog, Chopper Wraith, Tank to fight to capture the flag and return to your flag. That would be awesome imo!

I have missed a game like that for years now and think there a huge gap for such a game to be successful in the current MP/BR landscape.
If they want to emulate the vehicles from a Tribes game, I would hope it was more like the original and less like Vengeance.

Back