AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Quick question : does DSR support all resolutions or is it like early DLSS in only supporting common resolutions ?

It supports any resolution and even the presets are there for user convenience since it can run off any rendering res.

Yeah I used to set all kinds of crazy resolutions to DSR down from on my old 1080p monitor. It's a great tech. I don't have the GPU power to downscale on my new monitor though. It's all upscaling now until I get a GPU update!

Avengers @4K max reconstruction quality:
DLSS: preserves fine details much better (better than native), ghosting almost gone (better than native), reconstructs fine lines perfectly in stills (better than native), but some artifacts are present in motion.
FSR: far less details preserved, fine lines are worse, ghosting is amplified, much worse motion artifacts.

Necromunda @4K max reconstruction quality:
DLSS: same story, DLSS is closer to native, however some particles are rendered differently than native ..
FSR: same story, but oversharpened.

In all situations FSR looks far worse than DLSS as you go lower than 4K, or as you go lower in reconstruction quality.

With FSR, i'd probably consider lowering resolutions at first, depending how it performs ofcourse. Perhaps lower some settings, but lower fidelity isnt all that fun either if you want the most stunning experiences. Maybe balance it with acceptable resolution/FSR.
Its an implementation having a good place in the pc space, atleast.

I wonder if that's what's going on here or if game's TAA simply hides (clips) the particles in motion.
With DLSS, the lava lines look thicker and the hot particles count is increased, to me the scene look richer, that's why I described it as different to native TAA, but of course HardwareUnboxed had to tell it differently, In fact the whole video is filled with remarks trying to force the notion that FSR doesn't look that worse than DLSS despite it's flaws.

Why the heck would you want to lower the base resolution prior to FSR? That's making a bad problem much worse (reduced source detail for the upscale).

Is anyone keeping track of the full list of games getting FSR through unofficial patches? It looks like there was a bunch of them coming up ever since AMD made the source code available.

Isn't the Avengers supposed to be a terrible game? Not trying to start fights, just curious if I got my facts straight.
Yup, it's one of the worst audience-rated games of 2020 and on its way to becoming the next Anthem.

however some particles are rendered differently than native
TAA cuts off tons of particles in tons of scenes in this game (rain, snow, sparks, etc), super easy to check by switching to TAA Low (disables AA in the game) where all these particles are present.
Sarcasm mode - If it was a DF review, Alex would have been set on fire already on reddit for such a mistake*! (mind you, if this mistake was about FSR of course:rolleyes:)

TAA cuts off tons of particles in tons of scenes in this game (rain, snow, sparks, etc), super easy to check by switching to TAA Low (disables AA in the game) where all these particles are present.
Sarcasm mode - If it was a DF review, Alex would have been set on fire already on reddit for such a mistake*! (mind you, if this mistake was about FSR of course:rolleyes:)

Yeah treating TAA as native in all of these comparisons is not ideal as TAA isn't necessarily representative of what the game is trying to render. In this case the author just assumes that the added detail under DLSS is an artifact without first looking into whether TAA is simply hiding detail that should be there.

Okay, dumb question time: will FSR work with super-scaling for those of us with 1080 monitors?

I don't see FSR doing a lot of good at rendering 1080, so I'd have to super-scale my res up to at least 1440 to use it...but how will that affect things?

Sorry if it's dumb, but I mean it as a legit question.

Okay, dumb question time: will FSR work with super-scaling for those of us with 1080 monitors?

I don't see FSR doing a lot of good at rendering 1080, so I'd have to super-scale my res up to at least 1440 to use it...but how will that affect things?

Sorry if it's dumb, but I mean it as a legit question.
I'm not sure why you'd want to though. The only real reason to use these upscaling or reconstruction techniques is to improve performance by internally rendering the game at a lower than native resolution. If you're rendering at higher than native then using FSR then you'd probably end up with similar performance to native with worse fidelity.

I'm not sure why you'd want to though. The only real reason to use these upscaling or reconstruction techniques is to improve performance by internally rendering the game at a lower than native resolution. If you're rendering at higher than native then using FSR then you'd probably end up with similar performance to native with worse fidelity.
Just to play with it tbh, I like to try playing around with any new driver features just to make sure I understand them a bit and to see what they do for myself. I'm still kicking myself for waiting so long to try Freesync, I don't want to make that mistake again.

You're right it'll probably won't improve the image quality, but I hope you can understand that I just sort of want to see for myself what it looks like. Screencaps and videos are never as good as the real thing, and I have the hardware to play with it a bit so I'm gonna just for fun. Literally, I find that sort of thing fun. I love playing around to see the little image and performance differences, I just find it fascinating and interesting.

(Not a new thing, been doing it for a few decades just 'cause I find it to be a bit of a hoot. ;) )

With DLSS, the lava lines look thicker and the hot particles count is increased, to me the scene look richer, that's why I described it as different to native TAA, but of course HardwareUnboxed had to tell it differently, In fact the whole video is filled with remarks trying to force the notion that FSR doesn't look that worse than DLSS despite it's flaws.
Also strange how they downplay DLSS at lower resolutions like 1080p, where the differences between FSR and DLSS are much more obvious, with the narrative that both upscaling techniques hurt image quality too much to be useful. When infact their own data demonstrates that DLSS at 1080p looks better than native 1080p lol: https://imgsli.com/NjE4NDI

Back