Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellent video as allways, and a perfect fit for John, PlayStation is his home!
It’s a cool video, but we all know that Sega is his favorite.*

* The views presented by John’s heart do not necessarily represent the views of Digital Foundry, and can you imagine the YouTube comments if Sega made current hardware….

* The views presented by John’s heart do not necessarily represent the views of Digital Foundry, and can you imagine the YouTube comments if Sega made current hardware….

Yeah obviously Sega is his thing, but they kinda dont exist anymore. He was a pc gamer many moons ago but now a diehard playstationer.

Yeah obviously Sega is his thing, but they kinda dont exist anymore. He was a pc gamer many moons ago but now a diehard playstationer.
odd, John is always a PC gamer and always will be, but maybe that's just me. The way he uses the PC and his expertise makes me think that. Never heard of him being a console gamer. His head could have twirled around though, but he looks like the typical scholar guy, not very emotional and attached to a piece of plastic.

odd, John is always a PC gamer and always will be, but maybe that's just me. The way he uses the PC and his expertise makes me think that. Never heard of him being a console gamer. His head could have twirled around though, but he looks like the typical scholar guy, not very emotional and attached to a piece of plastic.

He flew by the name dark1x for about 20+ years ago already if i remember correctly. He was a true pc gamer back then, a very knowledgable one and loved the superior hardware and games on the platform. John's been around for a very, very long time regarding tech forums. If he's still a pc gamer or not, i bet he is, once a.... :p If not, it will be itching forever.
Oh and, i agree on the plastics..... Cold alumnium is where its at ;)

I d love to see a deep down analysis to the Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast

Never heard of him being a console gamer. His head could have twirled around though, but he looks like the typical scholar guy, not very emotional and attached to a piece of plastic.
Yes, that's several bookcases of ... scholarly plastic behind him in every video. :D

a modder has created a version of Mortal Kombat 2 using the tools of Doom 2.

The options of the shooter are such that he completely changed the genre to convert it to a fighting game.

Dead Space is one of those games that I should like, and I really wish I did, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I should give it another shot.

Dead Space is one of those games that I should like, and I really wish I did, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I should give it another shot.

I tried to get into it multiple times but the controls and movement just never clicked for me. Hopefully the remake works out.

I tried to get into it multiple times but the controls and movement just never clicked for me. Hopefully the remake works out.
Yeah, I don't remember what it was. Just couldn't get into it. Sometimes the opposite happens, when I can acknowledge that a game is objectively bad, but for some reason it clicks with me and I play it a bunch.

Disappointed in this one -- was expecting a lot more talk about early deferred renderers, the pros and cons of deferred dominated dead space's look and helped usher in what... basically every single game to this day would look like.

(Also, I wouldn't say its exactly correct to say tiled deferred is less 'pure' deferred -- tiled is an optimization on lighting, but the fundamental approach that separates 'deferred' from 'forward' and provides the main pros/cons is still exactly the same: a gbuffer is rendered up front and you sample it for the data necessary to produce your final image.)

As far as non-tiled deferred renderers, you'd be surprised -- I'm pretty sure old-style (pre-HDRP) unity still has plain-old non bucketed deferred and forward renderers, lots of games still ship on that deferred path.

Will you guys at DF cover the Doom 3 og xbox port anytime? Its impressive how well they got that one running on a p3 733/64mb ram geforce3/4 system.

It says it was architected on the 360. I thought it was on PS3
I think they just mean that 360 was the "lead platform", which makes sense given the performance, and the close relationship EA had with Microsoft at the time. Dead space was a holiday 2008 game, and Mass Effect was a holiday 2007 game that was an Xbox exclusive, for example. Even if it wasn't built specifically for Xbox 360, EA's internal tools were probably more mature for 360 than they were for PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back