Thinking of upgrading my monitor in a reasonable way.

I figure if I like how this works I can look for/build a syncing kit. They are NOT common on Amazon US or anywhere else I could find. :(

FWIW, just this morning I ordered a Monoprice 35in Zero-G Curved Ultra-Wide Gaming Monitor V2 for use at the office, to replace the pair of cheap TN-panel 23" HP LCDs I've had for a while. I have a VESA mount attached to my desk which I'll use to hold this new bad boy. Earlier today, they had one as an open-box item for $329, and their SUMMER15 discount code also applied (15% off!) along with free shipping. Not gonna complain about $307 for a nice monitor upgrade!

I'll post back with my thoughts after I get a chance to give it a whirl next week.

@hoom
Have you considered ultrawide?
They're all 1440 high and main part of why I want to go for a new monitor is because I'm feeling my existing 2560*1600 isn't enough vertical so no not really.

I'm semi-settled on hanging around to see what sort of discounts Dell puts on U4320Q & then see what I think vs something like LG 43UN700-B.

I think a new monitor is a wise investment right now, they're the only hardware that seems reasonably priced if not even some bargains around.

I haven't put the backlighting on my monitor yet, mainly due to laziness about cleaning up all the clutter I keep behind it that will now show up. The fan thing on my viddy card helps, but it's no miracle worker. I still hit the 80s when gaming hard but it cools down faster and doesn't go as high. It definitely helps get cooler air to the cards, I approve but in hind sight I would have just gotten a kit with the connectors and bought my own fans. Better selection.

OH! The screwdriver that came with the fan thing is ADORABLE! I might have gotten it just for that. Not only is it cute, but I can actually use it to tighten the screws holding my keyboard tray to my desk without removing the tray! :love:

They're all 1440 high and main part of why I want to go for a new monitor is because I'm feeling my existing 2560*1600 isn't enough vertical so no not really.

There are 1600p 21:9 monitors available, but not many. I have one (the Dell 38") and I love it.

Obviously I'd prefer a 21:9 2160p but they weren't available when I bought this.

There are 1600p 21:9 monitors available, but not many. I have one (the Dell 38") and I love it.
Agh, the Dell resolutions filters doesn't have that option so the 2* 38" models were not being shown :runaway:
The Alienware AW3821DW is some pretty interesting specs but the price is that bit more above the 43" that feels like its in the unreasonable basket.
I think I can only justify the 43" if I can catch it on a 25-30% off discount from standard rate.

Agh, the Dell resolutions filters doesn't have that option so the 2* 38" models were not being shown :runaway:
The Alienware AW3821DW is some pretty interesting specs but the price is that bit more above the 43" that feels like its in the unreasonable basket.
I think I can only justify the 43" if I can catch it on a 25-30% off discount from standard rate.

The Alienware AW3821DW is a gorgeous monitor, I had one for about a week but ended up returning it in favour of the LG 38GN950 based on the inability to turn off the rather poor local dimming function and the lack of ambilight. However I've since put a custom Ambilight kit on my LG anyway so that negates that advantage and the local dimming is almost as bad on this monitor - but at least I can turn it off if I want for HDR content.

The Alienware looked gorgeous though and had a very high quality feel to it. It also had a great built in FPS counter.

Just an update...

I still love it to pieces, it's just fantastic. The OSD is a bit obnoxious, the backlighting isn't perfect but it's not distractingly bad either. The colors are insane and so is the crispness of everything!

I was worried a bit though, my GPU was running a lot hotter with this monitor. Instead of low 70s I was getting mid 80s. I realize it's because it was drawing a lot more FPS, but it bugged me because the temps would spike on menus and drop during gameplay. :/

Figured it out, enabled Radeon Chill and set it for a low of 90 and a top of 165. Suddenly I'm in the mid 60s and I can't tell the difference gaming except my fans aren't screaming.

I never thought a monitor upgrade could improve my gaming so much, but it did! I'm still working out all the tricks/ways to use it right, but it's a fun learning curve and the improvements are immediate and glorious!

If you don't have freesync/gsync please consider it, it's really a game changer!

Yeah if there is one place that game devs should be implementing frame caps its in menus.
It was insane! The menus would be at over 400fps and the temps would go into the mid to high 80s, and this was in Dirt 3!

Lots better now, but like I said I still have a lot to learn. The gaming is so much smoother though and better, I actually like the insanely bright "FPS mode" because I'm seeing details I've never seen before.

It was insane! The menus would be at over 400fps and the temps would go into the mid to high 80s, and this was in Dirt 3!

Lots better now, but like I said I still have a lot to learn. The gaming is so much smoother though and better, I actually like the insanely bright "FPS mode" because I'm seeing details I've never seen before.

Yup, a good monitor can be a far more significant upgrade in my experience than a new GPU.

If you don't have freesync/gsync, here's my reminder to GET IT!

I'm gaming at 60fps or better now in pretty much everything, the difference is amazing. I can't over state how big a difference this is for me and my gaming experience, it's like I upgrade my entire system but the hardest part of the upgrade has been to LIMIT the output of my GPU, which is a really nice change.

I think of it every time I game now, and it can be such a profound difference that I'm gonna keep coming back here and bumping this thread up just to help someone else out there.

Back