Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

People were reporting 2.2 eliminating ghosting in games. I did a quick test with UE4 debug camera. It draws this line to indicate what direction the object you are looking at is facing. I remembered the line ghosting severely with DLSS 2.0/2.1 as the camera is moved. I'm just moving the mouse up and down continuosly as I take a screenshot here:

2.1:
2.1.png

2.2:
2.2.png

Took a bit of effort to get 2.2 to draw that single ghost as clearly as it's showing here.

People were reporting 2.2 eliminating ghosting in games. I did a quick test with UE4 debug camera. It draws this line to indicate what direction the object you are looking at is facing. I remembered the line ghosting severely with DLSS 2.0/2.1 as the camera is moved. I'm just moving the mouse up and down continuosly as I take a screenshot here:

2.1:
View attachment 5578

2.2:
View attachment 5579

Took a bit of effort to get 2.2 to draw that single ghost as clearly as it's showing here.
Wow, that's a huge improvement. Should have less ghosting than TAA now in most games, which means the ghosting issue is fixed.

I would love to look into it, but I don't have R6S. Will wait for Doom Eternal which probably will have DLSS 2.2 too.

I tried using the DLSS 2.2 DLL with Metro Exodus EE but then DLSS won't enable.

I don't have a DLSS capable card so it's probable that my overall impression of it is being skewed as these videos are designed to highlight the scenario's where 2.1 falls down, but gotta say after seeing a lot of these comparison videos between 2.1 and 2.2 I'm leaning towards seeing that poster's argument who was arguing that DLSS's flaws were being papered over. I mean a lot of these ghosting artifacts seem pretty egregious!

I don't have a DLSS capable card so it's probable that my overall impression of it is being skewed as these videos are designed to highlight the scenario's where 2.1 falls down, but gotta say after seeing a lot of these comparison videos between 2.1 and 2.2 I'm leaning towards seeing that poster's argument who was arguing that DLSS's flaws were being papered over. I mean a lot of these ghosting artifacts seem pretty egregious!
These ghosting artifacts are there without DLSS too you know.

These ghosting artifacts are there without DLSS too you know.
Certainly not across the board. Definitely not in the Death Stranding comparisons I saw for one - the birds and cryptobiotes do not produce those trails without DLSS, and the edges of the geometry have ghosting that not even checkerboarding has (as per DF's video). I realize the explanation of the time was that some of those objects didn't have motion vectors, but I see pretty prominent artifacting around the wires/poles from these videos, which 2.2 definitely reduces (though not entirely).

Death Stranding 2.1:

Death Stranding 2.2:

Cyberpunk is another comparison where 2.1 showed significant trailing from the car lights when driving around that 2.2 helps reduce quite a bit.

Back