Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

Except for Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank which you seem happy to ignore because of reasons that do not align with your narrative.

Ive played Demon Souls many moons ago, its only a graphical upgrade, IE remaster or remake (or whatever its called these days). Its like watching Top Gun all over with improved image quality, ive seen it, its not new. I can hardly call it for a new game since it isnt.
Returnal is an exclusive but then again with typical cross gen graphics, and since the whole narrative with cross gen last year when MS announced it plans, it was just the graphics that was the biggest problem since things would be held back due to cross gen.

Ive played Demon Souls many moons ago, its only a graphical upgrade, IE remaster or remake (or whatever its called these days). Its like watching Top Gun all over with improved image quality, ive seen it, its not new. I can hardly call it for a new game since it isnt.

The inconsistency that you are oblivious to is that is not your not opinion on events, but the investment in a game which either is, or or not, realised on any given platform. That ultimately reflects on any company's investment in any platform.

When it comes to measuring a publisher's confidence in particular hardware, it's about what time/money they are willing to invest in games on any given hardware platform.

That is just not true. Please bring the facts. State where they say what you claim. I searched and posted two examples of messaging which does nothing of the sort. And that’s just the first two hits.

All I have read so far is that they would still be doing exclusives. And they have done exactly that. Nowhere do they say that from point x their first parties will only output PS5 exclusives.

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

And for the record, I have no beef in this. I think both Microsoft and Sony’s positions are valid. And both have done what they said they would do.
Facts don't matter to some people. Only emotion.

Argument seems to be headed into infinite circles/

All is fair in love and war when concerning the two companies against each other. This is standard behaviour to put your best foot forward in front of your competition.
The question you should define at the heart of it is whether the player base/consumers are justified in being upset over what was communicated to them.

Does it matter in the long run? Probably not, anything you can scale up easily, also means you can scale down easily. It's just one of those things that comes with the territory.
So there were going to be a lot of cross generation 'design' regardless if it was exclusive to PS5 or not.
But we also shouldn't hand wave buyers who wanted the best from the their new hardware and were told they were going to get it at the beginning of the generation.

The comms around it were probably stretching a lot of truth here. Combined with some other dev comments about the challenge of scaling down to Series S etc, a narrative was formed that Series S was holding things back.

I definitely believed it, a lot of people believed it so much that people wish it didn't exist; we have some of those discussions here in this forum.

Context ->
GodFall moving to PC.
wrt godfall now coming to PS4.

This is the core of the problem:

“what Sony had us believe we should expect and no more cross gen (we believe in generations)”

Your interpretation, and the one from some others, of the phrase “we believe in generations”, is that this means from this point onward only PS5 exclusives would be made.

You have 0 evidence however that this is what they originally meant, and that they then changed their mind.

I do understand why you would want to believe this is what they meant though. I think everyone with a PS5 would have liked all exclusives going forward to be PS5 exclusives that could only be done on the new hardware.

But Sony have actually been very clear in both their messaging and in their past behavior. So it is really a matter of having projected your own desires upon reality.

This is the core of the problem:

“what Sony had us believe we should expect and no more cross gen (we believe in generations)”

Your interpretation, and the one from some others, of the phrase “we believe in generations”, is that this means from this point onward only PS5 exclusives would be made.

You have 0 evidence however that this is what they originally meant, and that they then changed their mind.

I do understand why you would want to believe this is what they meant though. I think everyone with a PS5 would have liked all exclusives going forward to be PS5 exclusives that could only be done on the new hardware.

But Sony have actually been very clear in both their messaging and in their past behavior. So it is really a matter of having projected your own desires upon reality.
More or less yea. In defence of early adopters here, it’s financially the most expensive time to get into the generation. Hardware is at the most costly, least reliable etc.

anyone thinking efficiently should always wait a while for that sweet price point spot where there are “actually” sufficient games available that you want to play, and you saved money by getting the hardware at a discount.

Ps5 owners were promised some benefits to
being an early adopter in exchange for the upfront cost of being one. Now it just seems like that benefit is significantly less.

terribly so if you paid scalper prices for ps5. To find out later that your PS4 was more than sufficient to run all these titles. You could have waited till later to pay a regular price and lower the risk coil whine or controller issues.

Xbox guys were just told the only benefit would be for existing titles. No duping was had here, anyone shelling out for a new Xbox upset it’s not being utilized can’t complain about it really. They sold the entire console on how well it plays last generation games and the potential of new generation titles... 2 years after launch.

Last edited:
Argument seems to be headed into infinite circles/

And it will go in a circle when enough people think facts can be negated by their opinion. This forum used to be a great place to discuss things and the type of nonsense that is now all too commonly posted would be called out but it's an endless slog to keep arguments factual and I wonder if that's what drove off Shifty Geezer. It's certainly why manux left and I feel like I won't be far behind him.

Last edited by a moderator:
My digital edition was 399. I hardly find that expensive and I bet in two years time I will still feel good about that price. At launch, many were very enthusiastic about AstroBot and Demon’s Souls. I didn’t even buy the latter because not my thing, but my son and I platinumed the former. We also love the new controller.

Also, there is the huge room for interpretation again ... “some” benefits. The benefits are huge and plentiful.

And certainly Ratchet and Clank is proof of some serious dedication to generations. It takes just one game to prove that they believe in generations and are different from Microsoft here, and this game delivers it in spades.

But good luck with stretching your arguments to hold your position.

We believe in generations…… Sackboy, GoW, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, Spiderman Miles Morales, Godfall etc, a ps3 game with better graphics and more focus on future pc ports, to top things off with a sizeable price hike for games.
What has Godfall got to do with Sony? It was developed by Counterpart and published by Gearbox.

Demo Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Returnall, Destructuion All Stars. Games developed by Sony that they did not release on PS4.

Are you clinically allergic to facts? :???:

Demo Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Returnall, Destructuion All Stars. Games developed by Sony that they did not release on PS4.

Demon Souls (it wasnt a demo?) is a PS3 game, it didnt release on PS4 but it did on PS3. Exclusivity you know.... lol
Returnal might be exclusive for now, but it for sure aint looking like one, which was the whole point with 'we believe in generations'. Rift Apart is a true exclusive, launched 8 months into the console lifespan. I wonder how many found it worth getting a PS5 for that title. It sure wouldnt have been for me.

Are you clinically allergic to facts? :???:

I provided a link to EG calling the whole thing a U-TURN after their messaging in 2020.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-cross-about-cross-gen-this-week-in-business

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...n-u-turn-is-disappointing-for-ps5s-potential/

Demon Souls (it wasnt a demo?) is a PS3 game, it didnt release on PS4 but it did on PS3. Exclusivity you know.... lol
So what? What is the point you are trying to make?

Returnal might be exclusive for now, but it for sure aint looking like one, which was the whole point with 'we believe in generations'. Rift Apart is a true exclusive, launched 8 months into the console lifespan. I wonder how many found it worth getting a PS5 for that title. It sure wouldnt have been for me.
What does this have to do with Sony's investing only in games that run on PS5? I don't know if you're just a troll, or just lacking in any critical thinking but you hammer out this nonsense and it doesn't change that since PS5 launched, Sony have published more games that only run on PS5 than games that also support other platforms. Nobody gives a toss if you din't like the graphics in a game, or another to a remaster. Sony are putting their money where their mouth is. Did Sony say they would never release more games for PS4? Because after launching PS2 they still realised games for the original PlayStation. Same with PS2 and PS3 and PS3 and PS4.

I provided a link to EG calling the whole thing a U-TURN after their messaging in 2020.
Who is arguing against this? Who here isn't saying Sony's messing isn't shite? :???: You post like a reddit bot.

Who here isn't saying Sony's messing isn't shite

So many negatives in that sentence that I can't tell what the meaning is. If I parse it correctly, you're asking "who said Sony's messaging isn't shite?". If so... It seems like Arwin was saying Sony's messaging isn't shite. That's why the discussion continues, because they don't agree with everyone else.

Or maybe that gamers believe what they want to believe?

Chris1515's take on that:

5bv572.jpg

So what? What is the point you are trying to make?

Its not an exclusive when its..... available on another platform, be it PS4 or not, hell even if its windows. Quake 2RTX does look much better then the original but that doesnt make it a new game lol.

What does this have to do with Sony's investing only in games that run on PS5? I don't know if you're just a troll, or just lacking in any critical thinking but you hammer out this nonsense and it doesn't change that since PS5 launched, Sony have published more games that only run on PS5 than games that also support other platforms. Nobody gives a toss if you din't like the graphics in a game, or another to a remaster. Sony are putting their money where their mouth is. Did Sony say they would never release more games for PS4? Because after launching PS2 they still realised games for the original PlayStation. Same with PS2 and PS3 and PS3 and PS4.

The main debate around cross gen last E3 was due to just that, it would hold back the graphical and other capabilites of new consoles. Returnal might be exclusive but it certainly doesnt cover any of the graphics assosiated with it. The only reason people generally are so against Cross generation is that new consoles might be held back, infinite got its blame for its flat lighting due to cross gen last year for example. Its all the Xone's to blame for etc.

Sony's headline messaging last E3 was 'we believe in generations', what we got was mostly cross gen with PS4 games on the PS5. I dont care about that, but, MS got hammered last year for saying 'were going to go cross gen the coming two years', well atleast they where honest about it.
Its all tactics and PR i know, but still, Sony could have been somewhat more transperant about what we actually where going to get.
To me, it seems your the one trolling here, you wherent all that kind last year to MS's idea of cross generational games during the first years of the console life span. Now your all over the map defending it, after knowing Sony is actually also very much into cross gen with their last console aswell.
Games shown at E3 last year gave the impression they where PS5 games aswell, Stray for example, turns out they either come to pc the same day or later to Xbox aswell.

Its very clear what kind of tactics sony tried to use (with some success), same for the UE5 demo which runs quite nicely on my 2018 gaming system.
Kinda like MS with their TF/full RDNA2 and no downclocking of CPU/GPU campaign, but, atleast they where somewhat more honest there.

Who is arguing against this? Who here isn't saying Sony's messing isn't shite? :???: You post like a reddit bot.

Just have a look at the current page lol. And yea, go on with the personal attacks, makes for some level headed discussions.

Or maybe that gamers believe what they want to believe?

Well, im kind of the wait-and-see person, but, i did believe sony was going to go full next gen for their PS5 because that was their messaging against MS's cross generation support for their new xbox series. Seeing the trailers i was already thinking 'aha', GT7 looked well, just like GTS for the most, forbidden west had many thinking 'cross-gen' and we had chris1515 commenting it was a PS5 exclusive using the SSD and all, yet its a cross gen game.
Dont believe all the hype, neither from the console manufacturers or random forum users, wait and see what happens instead.

Back