Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

good example of late crossgen, mgs5 @iroboto @Silent_Buddha
Another story is that the PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid 5 is absolutely dominating the Xbox One version, with a 72% share to Xbox One’s 22%. Between the series’ history of PlayStation consoles (it’s been sporadically multiplatform, but has deep roots with Sony ) and the fact that PS4 has practically double the market share of the XB1, this isn’t a huge surprise, but it’s still something to see.

But rather, I was most interested to see that despite being a multiplatform release across four consoles and PC, only 5% of the game’s market share is being split between the PS3 (3%) and the Xbox 360 (2%).
ps4 72% sales, ps3 3% tough in 2015 ps4 sold 30 milion consoles and ps3 has 80 milion users
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...-finally-getting-left-behind/?sh=7f7ee78c397c

Last edited:
good example of late crossgen, mgs5 @iroboto @Silent_Buddha

ps4 72% sales, ps3 3% tough in 2015 ps4 sold 30 milion consoles and ps3 has 80 milion users
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...-finally-getting-left-behind/?sh=7f7ee78c397c
Yea. The end of 2022 is likely going to be in this direction. Most cross gen games will be done by around that timeline as well I think anyway.

but as I said earlier it (mgsV) being cross gen didn’t hurt the sales spread. With PS4 and PS5 being much closer than PS3 and PS4; I don’t see how it could be worser transition. I think the data shows people were very happy with the PS4 edition of MGSV.

Yea. The end of 2022 is likely going to be in this direction. Most cross gen games will be done by around that timeline as well I think anyway.

but as I said earlier it (mgsV) being cross gen didn’t hurt the sales spread. With PS4 and PS5 being much closer than PS3 and PS4; I don’t see how it could be worser transition. I think the data shows people were very happy with the PS4 edition of MGSV.
the point is that you compromising nextgen version as some apsects of game have to be similar (especialy in gt7 if there is crossplay), reduce dev team time to optimise for one platform as now now they have to develop for 3 and in the end potential sales for previous generation will be possible few (or like in mgs5 20x) times lower

If I recall right and I"ve said it in this forum in defense of Microsoft so I will say it in defense of Sony also. But for the 360/ps3 to one/ps4 you had a solid year and a half to two years of games hitting both systems. The benefit here however is that last generation some companies charged us for remasters on the new console where here some companies are providing free enhanced versions

Looks like MS is going to start pushing in on sony's missteps

It comes from a Verge article...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/10/22527461/xbox-xcloud-game-streaming-try-before-download-feature

Another quote from Matt Booty...

In terms of the overall lineup, we want to get to a point of releasing a new game every quarter ... we know that a thriving entertainment service needs a consistent and exciting flow of new content,” explains Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios. “So our portfolio will continue to grow as our service grows.”

Tommy McClain

the point is that you compromising nextgen version as some apsects of game have to be similar (especialy in gt7 if there is crossplay), reduce dev team time to optimise for one platform as now now they have to develop for 3 and in the end potential sales for previous generation will be possible few (or like in mgs5 20x) times lower
I wasn't sure how to respond to this for a while, I mean, in many ways you're right. You just want the best from your investments and your games, and I get this. My only rebuttal here, and it's not really a rebuttal, but I would say that just because a game goes next generation and locks out previous generation, doesn't automatically make the game better than a last generation game. It just guarantees to serve your newly bought hardware better.

There are numerous examples where sequels have failed to live up to their predecessors in all industries; like Star Wars, or like the older Battlefields being much better than the latest releases. Halo is going through the same issue as well.

So I guess my response is, I get your point, it actually took me longer than I expected to realize you were really upset about GT7. It didn't occur to me that this was an issue; from my POV, as long as the simulation physics and gameplay can improve, I feel like that is a step up there. Graphics can be scaled fairly well somewhat.

Looks like MS is going to start pushing in on sony's missteps
What you describe as a mis-steps, are a different strategies by Sony and Nintendo - both companies with demonstrated high profitability. It's also a dumb thing to say when I think Flight Simulator is not yet on Xbox.

Next week is the rumour. But why make this claim now? It's just dumb. :nope:

It's wrong, undermines credibility and calls your statements into question.
Flight Simulator? I mean, I guess you can stretch that to discredit Microsoft's position, but that quote specifically mentions "Others bring console games to PC years later", Flight Simulator would be a PC game being brought to console later. It's certainly not a console game yet, so it would have to be a PC game being ported to console. Further from the quote, "charging them a second time to play on PC". That's sort of a big part of it, too. Sony first party exclusives released on PC are nearly full price releases, and come years later. Xbox is usually day and date, and first party stuff has pretty much all been crossbuy. I know there are Bethesda games that weren't (haven't checked if they updated them in the store), but those were games that were acquired after they were released. The only game I can think of that came out after it was a first party release is Minecraft, which has specific "For Xbox One" and "For Windows 10" versions. Also, Minecraft costs different amounts on every platform it's available on, so that's weird. But... I think technically Minecraft for Xbox One (and PS4) came out before Microsoft finalized the acquisition of Mojang but after it announced that it had reached an agreement to. I think it was just a few days apart, IIRC. So maybe that's not even a valid answer.

Flight Simulator? I mean, I guess you can stretch that to discredit Microsoft's position, but that quote specifically mentions "Others bring console games to PC years later", Flight Simulator would be a PC game being brought to console later.

"stretch that" to "discredit Microsoft's position"? You sound like Microsoft PR. The statement is not true for Flight Simulator. That's a fact, not a concept for debate. The game not only didn't realise simultaneously for PC, streaming and Xbox, it's still not on Xbox. If they do release I next week, it still won't have been released simultaneously.

A lot of PlayStation owners on these forums panned Sony's shite communications on PS5 last year, and have again with this crossgen messaging. The word "lies" have been used many times. This is accurate. What is it with a lot of Xbox owners on these forums who cannot bring themselves to criticise Microsoft one little bit, they literally deny the truth. I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, we can agree that Flight Simulator didn't launch on console and cloud, but then can we also agree that that makes it, by definition, not a console game. And therefore would be omitted from any discussion of bringing "console games to PC years later". This isn't the first game that Microsoft launched on PC first. Gears Tactics was on PC, then released on consoles later. And Sony releases things for PC and not on Playstation also. They announced Everquest was coming to PS4 in 2014. It could still happen, I guess.

I'm not convinced Sony's cross generation verbiage was dishonest. Misleading in some cases, perhaps, but I wouldn't call them outright lies because the possibility exists that a shift in strategy has occurred and games that were meant to be PS5 exclusives no longer are. I see nothing categorically wrong with the statement Phil made either. There are exceptions to a general policy, and are omitted because of the follow up statement about "console games" comming to PC. If you didn't have Flight Simulator as an example, you could have brought up Gears Tactics or Edge Surf*. But those are all exceptions to this general policy. Find me an exception in the opposite direction. Find a Nintendo or Sony game that launches day and date on console and PC that also has crossbuy.

*haven't tested if you can play Surf Edge on Xbox. Perhaps it did launch day and date.

Well if we play the semantic game flight simulator launched the middle of august of last year. So if launch it on consoles before that it wouldn't be years later. It wouldn't even be a year later

Last edited:
Back