Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
In the Intro scene everything is detailed, you can zoom anywhere there are details. Little insect are as detailed if you zoom on them. We just need to wait if Horizon Forbidden West details scale in the full open world. If it is the case, I think for example the crab details will be as good as the first demo. if you zoom on it.

Geometry of R&C and it seems but it is only a demo of HFW seems to be much higher than CB2077.

I'm not getting into the vs discussion as I think R&C looks incredible (as do the other games mentioned but in different ways). However I don't think the ability to zoom in on objects to display a high level of detail is telling you anything about how much geometry the game is pushing on screen at any given time. What it does tell you is that the developers went to an incredible amount of effort to model these details which for the majority of the time would not be visible or rendered on screen, and that they've implemented an awesome LOD system to enable to you view them seemingly seamlessly as you zoom in.

I'm not getting into the vs discussion as I think R&C looks incredible (as do the other games mentioned but in different ways). However I don't think the ability to zoom in on objects to display a high level of detail is telling you anything about how much geometry the game is pushing on screen at any given time. What it does tell you is that the developers went to an incredible amount of effort to model these details which for the majority of the time would not be visible or rendered on screen, and that they've implemented an awesome LOD system to enable to you view them seemingly seamlessly as you zoom in.

Offline rendering with REYES were rendering only visible details, this is normal. Brute force polygons with a bad LOD system is stupid. Here when you go close enough to an object it is highly detailed and this is very important to how the game is looking. This is what we wait and this is exactly what Andrew Maximov said when he talked about a fast SSD helping to have great LOD details on every object being able to be close to the player.

But from a production and cost point of view I am curious to see if this is possible into an Open world to keep this level of details everywhere.

on the contrary it's telling that it's pushing a lot of geometry, and instead of having to handle a highly detailed main character and lowering other assets, they can swith on the fly where needed, so increasing the overall fidelity, and the overall geo budget stays the same.
remember 2-3 gens back when we had a lot of polygons for the face of characters and nothing much left the the rest of the body and overall details around them.

on the contrary it's telling that it's pushing a lot of geometry, and instead of having to handle a highly detailed main character and lowering other assets, they can swith on the fly where needed, so increasing the overall fidelity, and the overall geo budget stays the same.
remember 2-3 gens back when we had a lot of polygons for the face of characters and nothing much left the the rest of the body and overall details around them.

Well of course its pushing a lot of geometry compared to 2 or 3 gens ago. Its probably pushing a lot of geometry compared to most games. But my point is that looking at super detailed, ultra zoomed in assets and suggesting that level of detail is somehow still present when you zoom out is simply wrong. The geometry the game is rendering is whats visible on screen at any given time. If you zoom out of a super high detail asset then you're no longer rendering that super high level of detail, so finely detailed close ups of assets alone don't necessarily mean a game is pushing a crazy amount of geometric detail.

if you can dump unused LODs on the fly thanks to mem speed you can free up memory to increase overall detail where needed, that a big advantage over last gen for the on screen fidelity.
Exactly. Since last gen the GPUs have enough power to render and shade tons of geometry. We know because some linear games on PS4 already had an impressive fidelity. The main bottleneck last gen (at least on PS4) was I/O speed. How do you instantly load those new assets on the fly just when it's needed and without slowing overall performance?

In most cases because of memory constraints you can't load too much on each levels. On PS5 it's not a problem anymore. The devs can load whatever they need (up to a point obviously) just before it's needed a few frames (or so) before. But most importantly they can do this without thinking much about dedicating ressources for the I/O so the game performance stays the same.

I think the fact that they are aggressively using the I/O on PS5 even with a 60fps RT mode is the proof that Cerny solution works just as intended.

So I just played this for an hour ... Holy ... the intro is ... intense and the world so dense and filled with stuff! Pretty amazing. It’s still Ratchet & Clank but with the intensity of a Marvel Avengers movie!

And it looks ... amazing.

Interesting, I'm watching Bikeman play this on Twitch right now and there's a part where there's a lot of cheering people in bleachers. The bleachers near to him have much more spectators than the ones further away, as he gets closer to the other bleachers, people start popping into existence out of thin air. It's during the on rails portion of the game where he's going down this like air-canal.

The game looks gorgeous, but I have to admit I was surprised to see this pop-in.

[edit] I created a clip on his channel, I hope he doesn't delete it.

Twitch

Everything looks so good that it was kind of shocking to see this amount of pop-in. Downloaded a copy of the clip just in case he deletes it. :p

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm watching Bikeman play this on Twitch right now and there's a part where there's a lot of cheering people in bleachers. The bleachers near to him have much more spectators than the ones further away, as he gets closer to the other bleachers, people start popping into existence out of thin air. It's during the on rails portion of the game where he's going down this like air-canal.

The game looks gorgeous, but I have to admit I was surprised to see this pop-in.

[edit] I created a clip on his channel, I hope he doesn't delete it.

Twitch

Everything looks so good that it was kind of shocking to see this amount of pop-in. Downloaded a copy of the clip just in case he deletes it. :p

Regards,
SB
performance or fidelity mode?

his video is 60fps so certainly perf or RT perf.
Pop in is less noticeable in fidelity, but even then they don't have infinite budget, they are still limited by GPU/CPU etc...

Indeed. I have to say, the 30fps mode is so smooth graphically, it’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. I really only feel it in the controller response. Must have a lot of motion blur etc, it’s really good!

Also, seeing the game on your on TV, without YouTube compression etc it’s something else! The game is so clean and packed with detail.

And also, the hectic (long!) opening scene, the amount of graphics and detail you get to see, and all that moving incessantly forward without any loading whatsoever, it’s crazy. And then to think that this could be done in 42GB on disk.

Wow. This generations upgrade is a lot bigger than I expected it to be. The SSD really is a big, big upgrade!

Last edited:
Back