All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

WRT lower than expected xbox software, this is just further evidence that Gamepass is harming xbox software sales

* Though that nearly 3:1 PS5 vs PS4 shows even this early on and with the limited supply dropping support for PS4 is not gonna be that important in future

As I posted in the other thread, the UK market isn't the world market. While this is an interesting and important data point, that's all it is.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-21-2021-may-24-may-30.435827/

When just looking at PS4 and PS5 for Resident Evil Village in Japan, for instance.
  • PS4 lifetime sales - ~77%
  • PS5 lifetime sales - ~23%
  • PS4 sales for that week - ~74%
  • PS5 sales for that week - ~26%
In Japan, RE8 sells approximately 4:1 in favor of PS4.

Depending on what country you look at, the ratio will change. We have no idea what the ratios are in the EU much less NA or the rest of the world.

Regards,
SB

As I posted in the other thread, the UK market isn't the world market. While this is an interesting and important data point, that's all it is.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-21-2021-may-24-may-30.435827/

When just looking at PS4 and PS5 for Resident Evil Village in Japan, for instance.
  • PS4 lifetime sales - ~77%
  • PS5 lifetime sales - ~23%
  • PS4 sales for that week - ~74%
  • PS5 sales for that week - ~26%
In Japan, RE8 sells approximately 4:1 in favor of PS4.

Depending on what country you look at, the ratio will change. We have no idea what the ratios are in the EU much less NA or the rest of the world.

Regards,
SB

The UK market probably looks like more like US and western europe and Middle east. Japan is really a different market than the other. Games don't sold good on PS5 but I suppose many consoles are imported in other country. I know in Europe the best way to have a new PS5 is to buy an imported japanese one.

Same in Asia many imported japanese PS5.

Home console market is dying in Japan.

The UK market probably looks like more like US and western europe and Middle east. Japan is really a different market than the other. Games don't sold good on PS5 but I suppose many consoles are imported in other country. I know in Europe the best way to have a new PS5 is to buy an imported japanese one.

Same in Asia many imported japanese PS5.

Home console market is dying in Japan.

It could be, it might be. It might not be.

We do know from past sales charts that software sells differently in NA than it does in the EU. And even though the UK sells more similarly to the US in some area's games don't always sell the same in the UK as it does in the US. IMO, PS5 is selling more copies across the world than the PS4, however, we currently don't have any data that would allow us to determine how much better it sells on one console versus another.

Regards,
SB

It could be, it might be. It might not be.

We do know from past sales charts that software sells differently in NA than it does in the EU. And even though the UK sells more similarly to the US in some area's games don't always sell the same in the UK as it does in the US. IMO, PS5 is selling more copies across the world than the PS4, however, we currently don't have any data that would allow us to determine how much better it sells on one console versus another.

Regards,
SB

Again we have data from time to time in Spain and PS5 version sold better too. And from time to time of other european country. And all the time, the new versions sold better and people wait to have the new consoles. It was the same during the transition PS3/PS4.

And we have data for Japan, more than 50% of the people having a PS5 don't buy japanese games. I suppose many consoles are exported in other country. The number of games sold is very weak.

I suppose if the Ps5 wasn't out of the stock, number of PS4 games sold would be less than 10% compared to PS5.

Again we have data from time to time in Spain and PS5 version sold better too. And from time to time of other european country. And all the time, the new versions sold better and people wait to have the new consoles. It was the same during the transition PS3/PS4.

And we have data for Japan, more than 50% of the people having a PS5 don't buy japanese games. I suppose many consoles are exported in other country. The number of games sold is very weak.

I suppose if the Ps5 wasn't out of the stock, number of PS4 games sold would be less than 10% compared to PS5.

I just stated that, IMO, PS5 is probably selling better than PS4. The ratio is what's in question and what no one here has any ability to know.

Software (game) sales are already massively different this generation than for PS3/PS4 transition. You just have to look at Sony's FY report to see this. Instead of a MASSIVE drop in game sales revenue, revenue has increased for game sales.

A lot more games are selling this transition because everything is available on PS4 and playable with enhancements on PS5 in many cases and in some cases PS5 games enabled to run on PS4.

In other words, the PS3/PS4 transition isn't that relevant for this generation.

Regards,
SB

I just stated that, IMO, PS5 is probably selling better than PS4. The ratio is what's in question and what no one here has any ability to know.

Software (game) sales are already massively different this generation than for PS3/PS4 transition. You just have to look at Sony's FY report to see this. Instead of a MASSIVE drop in game sales revenue, revenue has increased for game sales.

A lot more games are selling this transition because everything is available on PS4 and playable with enhancements on PS5 in many cases and in some cases PS5 games enabled to run on PS4.

In other words, the PS3/PS4 transition isn't that relevant for this generation.

Regards,
SB

This doesn't mean people are buying more new cross gen games than backlog games or games at a lower price. When we have some version difference it goes heavily in favor to PS5 and the sales of Ps4 and it would be much more than this if the console was not out of stock all time.

For Fiscal year 21, Sony forecast 30% of game sales will be on PS5 and forecast than the PS5 will be around 20% of the PS4 install base if they will reach 15 millions forecasted PS5 sales for fiscal year 21 . And a total of 22,8 millions PS5 shipped the 31 march 2022.

At the end Sony will see the result were the same than Konami when they did the 360 and PS3 versions of MGS 5. PS4 version will help a little probably around 20% of LTD sales but people want a new hardware.

I think people assume that due to Game Pass all these sales are lost.

I bought a Fallout 4 GOTY code for Xbox for £8 because of GamePass. Why you ask? Because Microsoft include the the 2015 in Game Pass but if you want the whole experience, you have to buy all the DLC separately or the GOTY edition, either way is around £60 now. Whilst you can certainly play the base game without DLCs, none of the interesting mods are written to work without the DLCs - too complicated I guess.

I don't even consider this a bad Game Pass experience, it was just unexpected. Like Fallout 3 not being in Game Pass. Sometimes I get whiplash about what is included then noting what isn't. I'm sure there are reasons, but it's interesting.

In another post AzBat noted that Outriders was included in Game Pass which I had overlooked. This is the kind of game I reckon I can enjoy a few hours but wouldn't want to pay for.. Downloading...

I hear one can get lost in all The Yakuza games on GamePass if that's your thing. Same with Dragon Quest Builders 2.

I hear Knockout City is also hilariously good fun. Even more so with friends.

I hear Knockout City is also hilariously good fun. Even more so with friends.

Last time my best friend and I played co-op, we tried this. Kinda of learning curve at first(definitely play all of the tutorial or you'll get slaughtered). I was just surprised that's it's more to it than throwing & catching a dodgeball. But it's just multiplayer & although it can be fun to play with friends, I just don't see it lasting. Should have been free-to-play from the start instead of a free trial/Game Pass game.

Tommy McClain

Btw, people are wrong to assume GP subscribers are hardcore gamers. Not all of them are, my son included. As noted earlier he only plays about 6 hours per week, compared to about 8 for myself and 10 for my CoD addicted older son. :)

I'll admit that I don't buy many games outside of GP, but am considering picking up Alan Wake to finish it and RE:Village, because it seems pretty awesome, but more than likely will wait for a sale to play this one. I haven't paid full price for a game since Halo Wars 2 four years ago.

Wish me good luck.

D51YhmL.png

They have PS5s currently at CDiscount.
https://www.cdiscount.com/jeux-pc-v...53c7ed1260c&cid=affil&cm_mmc=zanoxpb-_-300117

You need to try to add to the basket several times (I tried around 10 times).

Found thanks to: https://twitter.com/StationOfPlay

Data that backs up my assertion that going PS5 and not crossgen can actually earn you more money (for a lot less hassle)
In UK last week with R&C
the ps4 2016 R&C version sold 29% more than opening week ps5 version BUT the 2016 version was sold at £30 vs ps5 £70 thus the ps5 raked in nearly twice the revenue than the ps4 version (even though there was 4x the number of ps4s in 2016 then than ps5s now)
and this week it does the nearly unheard of thing and it even does better!, we are easily looking at 4-6x the revenue in the opening 2 weeks compared to the last ps4 game. Im confident its already made more revenue than ps4 version lifetime perhaps even in the opening week

Now can I say with 100% certainty that by going not going crossgen they have earnt more money than they would of if they went crossgen, no I can't, I can only guarantee a 99.97465% probability :p
Sony (also applies to MS), Its not too late to ditch the crossditch support for horizon zero dawn, GT and others?

why couldn't sony just charge $70 for the ps4 version ? That is still a bunch of sales they leave on the table. Isn't PS4 SM MM a similar price to PS5 SM MM ?

PS5 owners were starved for a game that fully took advantage of the system so it sold really well. The average game though that isn't going to have a $100mil worth of free publicity still likely needs to be on PS4 as well.

You can have a few of these new system exclusives like MS Flight Simulator for example, but there just isn't enough new hardware out there to restrict most games to the smaller audience yet IMO. MS and Sony both agree with me :)

So your assertion is that if there were a ps4 version of the game, the ps5 version would have sold less?
Yes https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2207803/
Because if you choose to go crossplatform you have to make compromises thus the ps5 version would of been not as impressive, I know ppl say oh but the PC scales and it does, but how many crysis's do you see, i.e. games that can only run on high end PC's, bugger all.
I'm sure a lot of ppl brought it cause of the WOW graphics even if the core concept of the game doesnt appeal to them (thats why they didnt go for the 2016 one)

Yes https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2207803/
Because if you choose to go crossplatform you have to make compromises thus the ps5 version would of been not as impressive, I know ppl say oh but the PC scales and it does, but how many crysis's do you see, i.e. games that can only run on high end PC's, bugger all.
I'm sure a lot of ppl brought it cause of the WOW graphics even if the core concept of the game doesnt appeal to them (thats why they didnt go for the 2016 one)

You have to make compromises for "lower hardware tiers", yes. You do NOT have to make compromises for the higher hardware tiers.

Everything is predicated on what you choose as your base hardware level. Everything can be scaled either upwards or downwards.

On PC, most developers choose to scale upwards because it's cheaper. But there's nothing preventing them from scaling downwards (as Crytek did with Far Cry and Crysis). This is more costly, but the results usually speak for themselves. In the case of Crysis it also shows that it's more risky, as that was predicated on where they thought CPU architecture and speed would be at by the time the title released. Unfortunately for them, their predictions which were predicated on Intel's claims for their Netburst arch. didn't quite materialize...

I miss the days when Crytek developed for a hardware target that wouldn't exist for years as opposed to most other developers who targetted years old hardware.

You don't even have to look to PC to see this in action. There have been quite a few titles that targetted PS4/XBO level of hardware that have been scaled down to work on the NSW. Many of these are titles that some users on this forum claimed would be impossible.

Nothing prevents Insomniac from releasing a version of the current PS5 release of R&C on PS4 if they wanted to. It would work just fine and play exactly the same. The graphics and presentation would take a quite obvious hit, of course, the gameplay would be the same and more importantly ... the PS5 version will still look exactly the same.

What's interesting about this hypothetical situation is that if this happens say 6 months from now, people will exclaim what an amazing feat it was that they got R&C to work on the PS4 ... and they would still think the PS5 version of R&C was "next gen" graphics.

However, if they released simultaneously, those people would think that the PS5 version of R&C was being held back by last gen ... even though it's the exact same version of R&C that people are now playing. :p

It all comes down to whether or not a developer wants to do it. And that'll be modified by how much time and effort they want to put into it. For some titles this may be a quick and easy thing to do, for others it will be more costly in both time and money (like scaling a PS4/XBO title down to run on NSW).

Regards,
SB

R&C being only on PS5 was more of a PR stunt by Sony so that they could claim that "we believe in generations" before turning around and making GoW, Horizon and GT7 all cross-gen. They could easily make R&C for PS4 if they wanted to with downgraded graphics. It was probably a smart move to make it PS5 only as it fooled most people on these forums even. :)

Back