Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well according to the history of Polyphony the development of GT7 must also have started .... years ago (if not a generation ago). But in their trailer they had the clear message, this is PS5 exclusive. So it must have been a decision in the last months (or year) they made. So I guess only a quick-port is more or less possible. E.g. reducing the framerate to 30 on PS4 is not that nice for such a racer, but this would greatly decrease the CPU requirements.
And didn't they tease a 120fps mode at some point. This would also indicate that the game itself wouldn't be that CPU demanding at 60fps.

But DF is right about that. MS got big backlash for their honest communication that they will still support xb1 at least 2 years. So, now after it has become quieter around that topic, they tell the people, they do more or less the same. This is really not a fine move. I welcome the decision Sony made, the way they said it, however, has a sour aftertaste.
knowing Kaz I highly doubt they targeting 30fps on ps4

As I said in another thread, it depends whether this was always the intention, in which case it's lies. If this was a pivot as a reaction to the silicon shortage and their inability to get more PS5s out there to negate the need to support PS4, they should simply say so. The latter isn't something anybody predicted would potentially go on so long - but the comms have been shitty regardless.

It seems clears that some games, like Horizon which has been in development since 2017, was always intended to be on PS4.

"We believe in generations" =/= "we will drop PS4 like a stone". There is a middle ground of "we will not compromise on game design just to support PS4" which I guess is Ratchet & Clank. Not everything has to be a polarising extreme. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Historically, Sony has been pretty good about supporting their older consoles with software for years past the release of new generations. The difference here is that they weren't releasing the same games for older systems. For example, in 2008 Sony released Ratchet and Clank Size Matters on PS2. In 2009, we got Motorstorm Arctic Edge. While these were both released on PSP as well, they were different from contemporary releases on the then current PS3, with Quest for Booty and Pacific Rift. Flagship games like God of War 2 were released on PS2 after the launch of PS3. And sure, you could play them on PS3 at the time (all those systems had BC back then), but there was no enhanced versions of GOW2 for PS3 until the collection came out in 2009. I'm not sure if Sony was lying. But this is a shift for them, and honestly, if you look at what they've published since the launch of PS5... I think so far it's all been 50/50 cross gen releases. At least for retail, physical stuff. What has it been, Miles Morales, Sackboy, MLB The Show are cross gen, right. The Show (and their older sports games when they made them) and Singstar were really their only games released like that from previous generations. PS5 only were Demon Souls, Returnal, and news to me, Destruction Allstars has a physical release?!

Without confirmation, none of can really know if this is these new games having PS4 releases is a late change or not, but I will say that this generation has seen a shift in policy for Sony. And it's been from the launch of PS5, not some decision made at the 11th hour to try to recoup shorfalls caused by any type of install base shortage. They released 2 versions of Miles, Sackboy, and The Show day and date.

INCREDIBLE looking game and an excellent video.

The reflections look shockingly good.

GIF-08-06-2021-16-53-08.gif

According to what I heard from a little bird - CSM on thicker strands (not in primary view) + screen space shadows. It does a darn good job for close ups as that there looks nice

Screen space shadows are smart -- almost perfect for this use case, since fur is short and dense enough that any pixel with lower depth is gonna be an occluding strand.

(game looks amazing, looking forward to watching video later)

This, among other things, is why PlayStation 5 users aren't so happy with GT7, GOW:R and HFW being cross-generational titles. PD, SMS, and Guerrilla just can't go nuts like Insomniac at the moment.
They can. Just use an extreme lod detail and don't port the higher "steps" to the old gen.
This is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back