Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I wish they'd at least let us put any M.2 drive in there, just to store the videos the console is always recording, and to run PS4 games.
I really dislike the idea of needing to have an external drive connected to the console.

Yeah it really should be was easy as checking how fast it is, and then you get a message telling you if you can play PS5 games off of that NVME or if it can only work like external drives work at the moment.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2021/GNS_E.pdf

PS5 standard edition could break even next month

image0.png

God of war seems to be call God of War Ragnarok.

smqJx2E.png

God of War not on future PS4 title
unknown.png

Last edited:

So, the funny thing about that is, they finally admit that their PS4 launch lineup was crap and now they do the "the best .... ever"-thing (just like MS).

Well, never expected the next God of War for PS4. But it might still come if PS4 sales remain high while the PS5 is almost not available. They can't really produce more (because the fabs and resources are currently just not available). Sony could just not predict the special case of a worldwide pandemic whey they startet the projects.
But after all, I'm still not thinking that a PS4 release would really hurt those games.

E.g. from a typical PS4 game, 1080p 30fps => 4k 60fps it is 8x the power needed (8x on GPU side and around 2x on CPU side). So even if they don't target 4k on PS5 they can still lower the res on PS4 and reduce detail. Yes the HDD to SSD thing might get a problem, but decreased asset quality might also prevent problems there. Maybe even ports by other developers (like nixxes) are possible.

So, the funny thing about that is, they finally admit that their PS4 launch lineup was crap and now they do the "the best .... ever"-thing (just like MS).

Well, never expected the next God of War for PS4. But it might still come if PS4 sales remain high while the PS5 is almost not available. They can't really produce more (because the fabs and resources are currently just not available). Sony could just not predict the special case of a worldwide pandemic whey they startet the projects.
But after all, I'm still not thinking that a PS4 release would really hurt those games.

E.g. from a typical PS4 game, 1080p 30fps => 4k 60fps it is 8x the power needed (8x on GPU side and around 2x on CPU side). So even if they don't target 4k on PS5 they can still lower the res on PS4 and reduce detail. Yes the HDD to SSD thing might get a problem, but decreased asset quality might also prevent problems there. Maybe even ports by other developers (like nixxes) are possible.

They give metacritic before saying it is their best launch line up ;). Out of Resogun the launch lineup of PS4 was poor I played the demo of Knack on a PS4 kiosk and I was sure to never buy this game and Kilzone Shadow Fall was just an ok game.

Last edited:
They give metacritic before saying it is their best launch line up ;). Outof Resogun the launch lineup of PS4 was poor I played the demo of Knack on a PS4 kiosk and I was sure to never buy this game and Kilzone Shadow Fall was just an ok game.
I didnt like the PS4 launch either. But I liked Killzone more than I was expecting at the end.
Knack? That was the most mediocre game I ve ever played. Not bad in terms of game mechanics. But uninspiring, uninteresting, outdated at best. :p
I finished it out of curiosity and I wondered why Mark Cerny even bothered.

But it should also be remembered that the last year of PS3 [2013] had so many Sony-funded titles [GoW Ascension, TLOU1, Beyond Two Souls, Puppeteer, one of the smaller Ratchet Games and even GT6 a bit after PS4 launched], so schedules of many big teams were not aligned well for releasing early PS4 games.

This time around in 2020, they managed to both release killer software lineup for PS4 [Dreams, TLOU2, GoT] and leave enough games for PS5, some of which were crossgen [Sackboy & Miles].

I kinda wish the PS5 would show "Sony Interactive Entertainment" instead of "Please read the manual..." upon startup, that would be such a cool continuation of the family's tradition!

I think the PS5 launch line up is also crap :p

And they seem determined to keep it that way. "Hey here's games that will come out eventually. You'll also be able to buy them on PS4, so we're just renaming PS5 to the PS4 Pro Ultra to not confuse people!"

Eeeesh. At least Nintendo seems to understand what people want out of a new console. Or at least they did back in 2017, who knows maybe the "New" Switch will just be the same thing, again.

Eeeesh. At least Nintendo seems to understand what people want out of a new console. Or at least they did back in 2017, who knows maybe the "New" Switch will just be the same thing, again.
Weren't the primary criticisms lodged at consoles, lack of 60fps and slowing loading? I think Sony and Microsoft both know what the average gamer wants from new hardware.

Every time there is new hardware there is always this rhetoric of powering new gams not possible before but if you can go back 20 years and we're still playing GTA, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden etc. The same damn games with better presentation.

And they seem determined to keep it that way. "Hey here's games that will come out eventually. You'll also be able to buy them on PS4, so we're just renaming PS5 to the PS4 Pro Ultra to not confuse people!"

Good job you added 2017.

Shame Sony & MS have no idea...how to keep up with demand of their consoles.

TBH I’m a bit peeved at Sony, I don’t pony up on a next gen console just for the same experience with better graphics...that’s a given. The fast loading is obviously a god send but to talk about removing barriers but then keep the barriers up is just so frustrating.

I noticed my PS5 had this nearly 100 GiB of "Other" unusable storage, on top of the 100 GiB (825 GB - 667 GiB) system reserved. I wonder if the system reserve is for SSD over-provisioning, and this "Other" is the true, used by the system software storage?

pmwoQs8.jpg

Back