God of War: Ragnarok [PS4, PS5]

Haha, Cory Barlog showed an easter egg of the new GOW a year ago however it was only discovered recently.

Cory Barlog - Genius

I get Cyberpunk 2077 secret messages vibs here.

God of War Ragnarok on PS5 will be Game of the Year 2021 material, according to one of Sony Santa Monica Studios game testers.

Ever since the announcement of the sequel back in September during Sony's PS5 showcase, hype levels for God of War Ragnarok are pretty high. Sony only showed off the game’s logo accompanied by the iconic voice of Christopher ‘Kratos’ Judge, but fans marveled in ecstasy after hearing the actor’s voice once again.

Game tester and UI designer at Sony Santa Monica Studio, Sami, has now turned up the hype even more, saying that the Ragnarok team is working on “something special and crazy” and that fans should “get ready” for next year’s Game of the Year.

Read more: https://wccftech.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-ps5-goty-21-great/

The lack of true PS5 only exclusives is a sour thing right now.

Not really. Can you point a time when we got better launch year Sony lineup than what ps5 has? What was this launch and games? We got during first year miles morales, ratchet&clank, horizon and demon souls remake. We will get the usual later generation OOMPH in years 2,3,4,5 like usual. If I really would want to emphasize this launch lineup is good I would also point towards cp2077 ps5 patch is coming out later this year and metro exodus enhanced edition with RT on is just about coming out for consoles. There are also smaller titles pushing to other directions like returnal, astro's playroom and the improved BC versions of PS4 games.

As a whole ps5 has a really good launch year lineup. Especially so if one considers ps4 BC games and the ps4 game bundle every ps5 owner got when subscribing to psn+. I have hard time remembering any playstation launch being more solid.

Last edited:
Not really. Can you point a time when we got better launch year Sony lineup than what ps5 has? What was this launch and games? We got during first year miles morales, ratchet&clank, horizon and demon souls remake. We will get the usual later generation OOMPH in years 2,3,4,5 like usual. If I really would want to emphasize this launch lineup is good I would also point towards cp2077 ps5 patch is coming out later this year and metro exodus enhanced edition with RT on is just about coming out for consoles. There are also smaller titles pushing to other directions like returnal, astro's playroom and the improved BC versions of PS4 games.

As a whole ps5 has a really good launch year lineup. I have hard time remembering any playstation launch being more solid.

Miles morales aint a true PS5 exclusive, its a cross gen game, you dont need a PS5 to play the game. Same for Horizon Forbidden West. Demon Souls is a remake from a PS3 game. What il be gettng in 2 to 5 years is not something you need a PS5 for right now. CP2077 and Metro Exodes aint PS5 exclusives either, those games are available on other platforms aswell. The PC version will remain the best looking one visually. On the audio side, the PS versions seem to lack Dolby Atmos aswell. Seeing RT performance on consoles, its kinda 'meh' as what were getting there. BC is something that Xbox platform is doing (way) better atm.
The vast majority of games on PS5 are also available either on PC at launch or cross gen with PS4/Pro.

I doubt the vast majority of users are going to upgrade just to experience Astrobot dualsense techdemo included with the PS5, or a better looking version of an old PS3 game. Returnal and rift apart, well two games. The former could even land on other platforms aswell. Theres certainly no rush to get a PS5 right now at the over priced pricetags they go for anyway. I'd advice most of the 100mil PS4 users to stay put for a while.

The PS2 for example had a launch era with games truly exclusively available to that platform, same with the PS3 and even PS4. Heck, the leap also was larger going from PS3 to 4, shadowfall really made a rather huge leap for the time.

Miles morales aint a true PS5 exclusive, its a cross gen game, you dont need a PS5 to play the game. Same for Horizon Forbidden West. Demon Souls is a remake from a PS3 game. What il be gettng in 2 to 5 years is not something you need a PS5 for right now. CP2077 and Metro Exodes aint PS5 exclusives either, those games are available on other platforms aswell. The PC version will remain the best looking one visually. On the audio side, the PS versions seem to lack Dolby Atmos aswell. Seeing RT performance on consoles, its kinda 'meh' as what were getting there. BC is something that Xbox platform is doing (way) better atm.
The vast majority of games on PS5 are also available either on PC at launch or cross gen with PS4/Pro.

I doubt the vast majority of users are going to upgrade just to experience Astrobot dualsense techdemo included with the PS5, or a better looking version of an old PS3 game. Returnal and rift apart, well two games. The former could even land on other platforms aswell. Theres certainly no rush to get a PS5 right now at the over priced pricetags they go for anyway. I'd advice most of the 100mil PS4 users to stay put for a while.

The PS2 for example had a launch era with games truly exclusively available to that platform, same with the PS3 and even PS4. Heck, the leap also was larger going from PS3 to 4, shadowfall really made a rather huge leap for the time.

It doesn't matter that it's not exclusive to ps5. What matters is we get these awesome games in launch year including titles heavily using ssd and somewhat also using RT. We also got 30fps quality mode and 60fps performance mode in many games which hasn't happened in past sony console launches. Usually console launch year games turn out to be average at best in retrospect and only scratch surface of what hw can do.

So let's come back to launch lineup. Which playstation console launch has had better game lineup than what ps5 has? To me ps5 has had strongest sony launch lineup of all time. I'll include the enhanced BC games and rt enhanced remakes/updates to old games like cp2077 and metro exodus enhanced edition as it's first time console owners get to play those games with RT on.

It doesn't matter that it's not exclusive to ps5.

Well, that was the whole subject of what i ment. it it aint exclusive to PS5, theres less need to get a PS5 to actually be able to play the games. Its a difference to previous generations of PS where cross gen wasnt really a thing yet and you had to get the new PS's to be able to play the new games.

What matters is we get these awesome games in launch year including titles heavily using ssd and somewhat also using RT. We also got 30fps quality mode and 60fps performance mode in many games which hasn't happened in past sony console launches.

Most of these awesome games are available on PS4/Pro or other platforms aswell. The 'somewhat' use of RT isnt a big deal for most people, most dont notice a slight use of RT but they do notice the performance impact it has when compared to modes without it. RT does tank performance for many games on the platform. Heavily using the SSD.... yeah, for most part this means faster loading (spiderman for example). Quality and performance modes where brought to us by the mid gen Pro already, which shouldnt even have to exist anymore since the new console was all this powerfull with the SSD rendering and all. yet, were still limited to 30fps if we go full quality. Like DF said, they hoped 30fps days where over.

Usually console launch year games turn out to be average at best in retrospect and only scratch surface of what hw can do.

MGS2 and tekken tag disagree here.

To me ps5 has had strongest sony launch lineup of all time.

So far that means a remaster of a old PS3 game, a game many already played and the reason would be soley graphics. The majoritiy of exclusives are cross-generation and thus theres less of a need for the new console to be bought.

I'll include the enhanced BC games and rt enhanced remakes/updates to old games like cp2077 and metro exodus enhanced edition as it's first time console owners get to play those games with RT on.

CP2077 is a next gen game designed for the PC, therefore the bad graphics and performance on consoles. Many call it the todays crysis for that reason. Anyway CP isnt even there now for the PS5.
Yeah, they get to experience ray tracing for sure, but to a more limited fashion as opposed to whats available.

MGS2 and tekken tag disagree here.

Try again. Both of those titles don't fit the launch year period I'm using. Launch year being roughly 12month period from console launch. MGS2 launched about 20 months after ps2 release and tekken4 released 16months after ps2 release.

Btw. With your definition all pc games are sucky as they also run in ancient hw. Does pc get a pass here but sony doesn't? It should be easier for sony to support 3 hardcoded hw versions(ps5, ps4 pro, ps4) than pc developers supporting pc ecosystem from laptops to high end desktops.

Try again. Both of those titles don't fit the launch year period I'm using. Launch year being roughly 12month period from console launch. MGS2 launched about 20 months after ps2 release and tekken4 released 16months after ps2 release.

You where living in japan during the PS2's launch? For anyone else not residing in japan, MGS2 was there within a year of launch. Tekken Tag was a day one launch game.

You where living in japan during the PS2's launch? For anyone else not residing in japan, MGS2 was there within a year of launch. Tekken Tag was a day one launch game.

Developers used that extra time to put in polish. Give more time, get better result. This is one reason why launch window games are what they are, developers have new hw and very little time. We will see this with horizon also. It will get way more polish before launch compared to demo we saw. It will be fun to see how final game looks and how it gets compared to other games released this year. My guess is it will be game of the year.

I for sure think MGS2 was a very polished game lol, people where floored by the graphics, it was a 60fps'er aswell.

Sure, but it was 20months after launch. We are now living something like 7 months from ps5 release. Wake me up in 13 months and we will discuss ps2 versus ps5 lineup at the point of mgs2 release.

Sure, but it was 20months after launch. We are now living something like 7 months from ps5 release. Wake me up in 13 months and we will discuss ps2 versus ps5 lineup at the point of mgs2 release.

Again, unless you where living in Japan, MGS2 did release within a year of launch.

Again, unless you where living in Japan, MGS2 did release within a year of launch.

Developers got devkits and used that extra 20months to create games versus miles morales. It's all about how long it takes to develop a game/learn new hw. Launch titles never compete with late cycle master pieces. It's unusual to even get any big hitters in launch window. This time we get a flood of big sony IP's starting from launch day. It's great day for ps5 owners looking at the current catalogue versus any other sony console release.

But I think this is enough off topic for me in GoW thread. I'll check out my coat and leave you to smash those silly people who like playstation 5 games released/announced so far.

Developers got devkits and used that extra 20months to create games versus miles morales.

What does that matter for someone getting a PS2 within a year of MGS2's launch? Again, the PS2 launched half a year later in every other nation aside from japan.

This time we get a flood of big sony IP's starting from launch day.

Yeah, but most of these are available for the 100mil PS4 userbase aswell, you dont need a PS5 for most of those (unless you want faster loading etc).

It's great day for ps5 owners looking at the current catalogue versus any other sony console release.

Thats a personal opinion honestly. It all depends on what you wanted to see regarding launch-window titles.

But I think this is enough off topic for me in GoW thread.

That i can fully agree with.

The lack of true PS5 only exclusives is a sour thing right now.
Well depends. Can we measure how much better Horizon Forbidden West would have been if PS4 was out of the picture?
GoW5 may be a PS5 exclusive afterall. Rumors are circulating as such.
Rachet and Clank is a PS5 exclusive.
Demon Souls remake is a PS5 exclusive.
Kena may not be a PS5 exclusive but the interview notes that there will be noticeable differences plus we dont know if the game would have been better in a specific way if it was a PS5 exclusive. And I doubt it to be honest.
True next gen experiences werent ready at console launch most of the time.
I think the PS5 is doing well and follows a similar trend and may impress us much much sooner.
It didnt come with the next gen punch yet, which I expect to change with Rachet and Clank. But we didnt get such a punch at launch since the 32-Bit and 128-bit era anyways. The 360 was like an XBOX 1.5 for a full year. Uninspiring. The PS3 got delayed and it's impressive games came a year later.
The PS4 came with Knack and Killzone, Infamous was released a bit later, Drive Club came in an unfinished state much later, 1889 was below mediocre.

Nothing will beat the next gen experience we got in the early life of the 32 bit and 128 bit era. Those were much more interesting times.

Last edited:
Back