Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Compare HZFW ps4 vs pd5, not HZD vs ps5 forbidden west, which you cant do yet.

Because you believe they will find the hidden power of PS4. After the second GPU of Xbox One in the PSU the power no teams out of Guerrilla Games is able to unlock. :LOL: The power Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Naughty dog, Sony Bend, Insomniac Games, Kojima productions, DICE, Crytek, Rockstar North did not find.:mrgreen: This a 2013 hardware we know where are the limits.

Evan Wells of Naughty Dog recognize GG raise the bar again.

Last edited:
Because you believe they will find the hidden power of PS4. After the second GPU of Xbox One in the PSU the power no teams out of Guerrilla Games is able to unlock. :LOL: The power Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Naughty dog, Sony Bend, Insomniac Games, Kojima productions, DICE, Crytek, Rockstar North did not find.:mrgreen: This a 2013 hardware we know where are the limits.

Evan Wells of Naughty Dog recognize GG raise the bar again.

Lol you talkin' about hidden power, second gpu's in power supplies and a bunch high budget studios teaming up to find it. Yea makes sense.
See it this way, GG has said there will be a PS4 version of Forbidden West. Either they have found your second gpu, hidden power or they teamed up with the whole world. Or they simply have a engine on their hands that does scale between PS4 and PS5.
We also have the option ofcourse that GG is straight out lying and there is no PS4 version.

Myself, i think GG is telling the truth and there will be a PS4 version where users wont have to refund their money because it cant run. Just looking at the footage released this week, yeah, its totally feasible for GG to pull off this cross gen title between PS4 and PS5.

if they made witcher 3 running on switch, GG will easily make HZFW run great on PS4/Pro, it will just be vastly toned down, but at the very least looking as good as HZD, which still looks great today.

I never said it will look bad, I expect it will look a bit better than HZD frozen Wild but been far from the PS5 version.

Lol you talkin' about hidden power, second gpu's in power supplies and a bunch high budget studios teaming up to find it. Yea makes sense.
See it this way, GG has said there will be a PS4 version of Forbidden West. Either they have found your second gpu, hidden power or they teamed up with the whole world. Or they simply have a engine on their hands that does scale between PS4 and PS5.
We also have the option ofcourse that GG is straight out lying and there is no PS4 version.

Myself, i think GG is telling the truth and there will be a PS4 version where users wont have to refund their money because it cant run. Just looking at the footage released this week, yeah, its totally feasible for GG to pull off this cross gen title between PS4 and PS5.

The PS4 version will run ok at least as good as HZD Frozen Wild and probably look a bit better than it. I don't say it will run like CP 2077 on PS4.

I just say that the difference will be huge probably bigger than a PC version of a PS4 game where assets are the same and out of draw distance geometry density is the same.

This will not be Days Gone PC compared to PS4 or PS4 Pro version. And this is not difficult to guess because HZD even on PC looks far from HFW demo.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with what they did with the artistic character lighting. Reminds how a forced rim-lighting was somewhat popular during early ps360 days, yet it often looked out-of-place, and disconected characters from the envrnmt. But Guerilla here made it work. Aloy does pop and the volumes and shapes of her body and costume look extra defined and juicy, yet the lighting still feels plausible, pleasent and never broken. It feels somewhat unrealistic, but in a deliberate, cinematic way. That cool studio lighting from the trailer actually does work during dynamic gameplay afterall.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with what they did with the artistic character lighting. Reminds how a forced rim-lighting was somewhat popular during early ps360 days, yet it often looked out-of-place, and disconected characters from the envrnmt. But Guerilla here made it work. Aloy does pop and the volumes and shapes of her body and costume look extra defined and juice, yet the lighting still feels plausible, pleasent and never broken. It feels somewhat unrealistic, but in a deliberate, cinematic way. That cool studio lighting from the trailer actually does work during dynamic gameplay afterall.

Yes despite the lack of realism it does look very nice IMO. I'd argue it was probably the main aspect that gave me such a wow factor when I first saw the video.

Pull it off with lots of sacrifices

I watched the trailer multiples times and Digitalfoundry is right LOD management is very good. The problem comes from shadow popin of little element like vegetation. Shadows of big objects don't have the problem. There is some rare geometry or vegetation pop in but I think this is some bugs.

The shadow popin could have been solve with something like virtual shadow maps.

Last edited:
Every Sony first-party game thread will inevitably become a versus war regarding graphics. It's like death and taxes: unavoidable. :nope:

We can keep this thread clean. Only few folks would have to be more mindful about thread they are posting in.

I had not watched any reaction tech dives on the game yet but have some curiosity questions for it.

Any guesses or expectations for install size differences between PS4 and PS5 versions?

Does it seem like any systems may be static on last gen versus truly dynamic on current-gen? Or will it be same level of dynamics but using older tricks instead of newer more accurate tricks (one example being SSR vs RT)

I would expect cheaper shading for at least the characters, Aloy and the supporting cast in this video looked quite a bit ahead of what you'd expect on PS4.

Then, more aggressive LOD (less pressure on both CPU and GPU) and lower resolution shadows. I expect PS5 to be a more polished version of what we get on PS4 basically, with higher res (maybe native 4K at 30 fps?) and maybe a 60 fps mode.

Game design / animation wise I don't think what we saw wouldn't work on PS4, I expect no corners cut there, it's not like R&C where parts of the core structure of the game just wouldn't work without the fast SSD.

HZD has procedural asset replacement. I would expect ps4 version have less variation and density in vegetation. SSD is going to make difference bigger than flops alone would make one believe.

I hope Forbidden West has similar 30fps and 60fps modes as miles morales.

It's going to be fun to visit graphics after release. Guerrilla has still plenty of time to polish the game.

I would expect cheaper shading for at least the characters, Aloy and the supporting cast in this video looked quite a bit ahead of what you'd expect on PS4.

Then, more aggressive LOD (less pressure on both CPU and GPU) and lower resolution shadows. I expect PS5 to be a more polished version of what we get on PS4 basically, with higher res (maybe native 4K at 30 fps?) and maybe a 60 fps mode.

Game design / animation wise I don't think what we saw wouldn't work on PS4, I expect no corners cut there, it's not like R&C where parts of the core structure of the game just wouldn't work without the fast SSD.

On Game design side this is a PS4 game.

Lower draw distance, lower vegetation too, some assets will probably use a lower level of details too ingame. Probably lower resolution particles and volumetric effect. No Screenspace reflection this is sure because the technical director of Guerrilla Games told they only use cubemap in HZD on PS4 because the hardware is not strong enough to use it. It was in Killzone Shadow Fall but not in HZD.

I expect a bit better HZD Frozen Wild, a good looking PS4 games.

In this video, he said no SSR in Horizon because not enough hardware power with PS4.

My main complaint is the shadow popin but it will probably stay after release, shitty CSM. I hope they can improve a bit the situation. On PS4 I am curious to see if the improved Global illumination system will made it.

Every Sony first-party game thread will inevitably become a versus war regarding graphics. It's like death and taxes: unavoidable. :nope:

You could say that about the Xbox games threads also as someone inevitably always goes into them with ...but X Sony game looks Sooooooo much better... :p

So basically we can generalize to all game threads eventually have something like that pop up. It does get tiresome, however, when you just want to talk about the game and someone feels compelled to express the sentiment that X game on their platform of choice looks so much better than the game being talked about it.

Bleh.

Regards,
SB

Back