AMD: RDNA 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cores sitting on top of stacked pile of SRAM for LLC.
This sounds inline with Intel's reasoning - you gotta put the major TDP contributor at the very top of "the cake". So you are able to provide effective cooling for those parts.

@GCN: As long as RDNA doesn't continue the trend of increasingly ineffective GCN furnaces it's all fine.

I was skeptical of the cache, and here it goes again - I wonder how much Joules the interconnect does consume and how AMD will handle the extremely high thermal density and low heat transfer rates of stacked silicon?

I’m not sure why you’re only remembering the skeptics. There were just as many true believers.

I think people will be generally less skeptical of AMD’s engineering prowess this time around. They have multiple generations of chiplet architecture under their belt so we “know” they can build a chiplet based GPU. The question is how well will it scale.

The skepticism (I was one of them) was hardly undeserved. AMD were only doing a little better than treading water for far too long in the GPU space, and there have been far too many situations were AMD products were overhyped only to end up disappointing everyone. They've now earned themselves some slack in that regard as RDNA2 is very good.

It's interesting to see, how fast "consoles need upscaling to offer good performace, PC doesn't need such crap, PC rulezzz!" changed to "PC offers better upscaling than consoles, PC rulezzz!" ;-)

It was an easy way for PC gamers to dunk on console owners. It wasn't the opinion of everybody (especially not here). Also bad implementations deserve to be criticized. DLSS 1.0 was deservedly torn to shreds, so what you're saying isn't 100% true.

Oh hell yeah it's all coming together.
Tune up in what, 36 hours?
RDNA2 laptops, RX6600 and/or RDNA3 teaser?

To be honest, the one thing people want IMO is volume availability.
There's already plenty of news and reviews of cards we can't buy at MSRP.

RDNA2 laptops, RX6600 and/or RDNA3 teaser?

To be honest, the one thing people want IMO is volume availability.
There's already plenty of news and reviews of cards we can't buy at MSRP.

Eh, they'll tease the refresh of RDNA2 more likely, and that vaguely. 6nm, much higher power and clocks, and hopefully higher memory speed (there's 20gbps GDDR6 memory controllers available).

They'll probably also talk about Van Gogh/laptops and whatever x3D is. Supposedly some specialized server chip with x3D is coming out this year so that makes sense. That being said, x3D might also be applicable to RDNA3. Either HBM or x3D seems preferable over a 512bit bus with 20gbps GDDR6 anyway.

Van Gogh is probably dead
Van Gogh is probably not dead, as evidence piles up on Valve using it in SteamPal.

It seems Panos Panay ditching the SoC was the cue for Valve going forward with their handheld console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back