Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
What's with the terrible dithering in the hair underwater?

Overall it looks phenomenal, but there's a lot of smaller things that look decidedly last gen about it. Small physics based things, and animations during general gameplay.. stuff like that.

Shaders, and facial animation rigging are massively improved though.

Nice in-game model. Love the facial expression.
Photo mode will be amazing.
oVQ0T4A.jpg

oVQ0T

Reactions: snc
Yep, that sure looks like an overly scripted demo of a Horizon sequel.

Nice how clean it looks versus the original. No more low detail/high detail mismatched assets for meshes or textures, less artifacts for the post processing, no evidence of dramatic LOD pop in, etc.

I do suspect it is, of course, being held back by the PS4. More slightly braindead AI, more limited engagement battles of you smacking things in the face, lots of reliance on screenspace reflections. But this is probably the tradeoff that allows such a clean presentation anyway, can crank that resolution up and apply whatever improved TAA (and that is definitely better this time around) to it as well. Clean clean clean.

Last edited:
I am speechless. So much details, destruction looks so good, foliage everything screams details. Amazing, IMO this is the best looking 3D I have seen. I have watched this on my tablet and couldn’t believe it’s real.

it's reassuring to see that this gameplay demo looked as good as the reveal trailer, no bullshit.
the foliage density and quality is a big step up, so are the characters.
Now i wonder how it'll end up looking on PS4/PRO

51207538883_8a9d197385_o.jpg

51208138454_ffa45b1e55_o.jpg

51207372216_5677fc62af_o.jpg

From a technical point of view, this is exactly like @Frenetic Pony said this is the pinacle of last gen technology out of the geometry and texture quality.

In the future Cascaded shadow maps could be replaced by virtual shadow maps and they can improve realtime GI. Thet can use the geometry engine to mitigate geometry pop in further and so on.

Last edited:
Look very ps4-ish, which is normal I guess. Kind of let down tech wise.

Now, I loved the first one and I really want to play to the sequel. No date announced is not cool.

I dont know why some of you guys dont find it impressive. What were you expecting?
This is one of the best looking games ever and many of the things it does look better than anything else I ve seen

I dont think people are saying it looks bad, but its just alright. It looks good, but theres not much reason to exaggerate about. After recent games like Alyx, Cyberpunk or Flight Sim, even console games like last of us 2, its going to be hard to match those pc games especially in rendering features. So this then is just a good looking game, but its not at the top or something out of the ordinary

No ray tracing either which even rift apart/spiderman features for reflections, even if its not top dog rt, those games have the new tech.
Had thought 30fps was a thing of the past aswell even when quality modes.

I dont think people are saying it looks bad, but its just alright. It looks good, but theres not much reason to exaggerate about. After recent games like Alyx, Cyberpunk or Flight Sim, even console games like last of us 2, its going to be hard to match those pc games especially in rendering features. So this then is just a good looking game, but its not at the top or something out of the ordinary

I don’t know. In the end it’s a matter of taste. I find all the games you mentioned looking much much worse than this. Even recently realased resident evil game looks bad compared to this. Horizon was one of the best looking ps4 games and I am not surprised how good this looks.

No ray tracing either which even rift apart/spiderman features for reflections, even if its not top dog rt, those games have the new tech.
Had thought 30fps was a thing of the past aswell even when quality modes.
So you expected this at 60fps and ray tracing?
Considering the huge amount of geometric density and how vast the world is, ray tracing becomes a nitpick and probably a necessary sacrifice at least at this point.
Spiderman had a much much "simpler" world design compared to this.
And it made apparent sacrifices to achieve either RT or 60fps which were much easier due to a simpler design. The world was made mostly of rectangular buildings and roads and was populated by humans and cars.
The physics, world variety and population between the two games is a night and day difference

Last edited:
So you expected this at 60fps and ray tracing?
Considering the huge amount of geometric density and how vast the world is, ray tracing becomes a nitpick and probably a necessary sacrifice at least at this point.
Spiderman had a much much "simpler" world design compared to this.
And it made apparent sacrifices to achieve either RT or 60fps which were much easier due to a simpler design. The world was made mostly of rectangular buildings and roads and was populated by humans and cars.
The physics, world variety and population between the two games is a night and day difference

The problem of Horizon and raytracing, this is a game in nature with tons of vegetation. This is the worst case for raytracing.

Back