"Steampal" Switch Like Portable Steam Device

If they have some good angle like make it a retro emulator beast I could be interested. Playing my steam games on portable, no thanks.

The Steam Machine Z is dead! Long live SteamPal!

If they have some good angle like make it a retro emulator beast I could be interested. Playing my steam games on portable, no thanks.
Why would you need emulation in a device that runs Steam games? Is your Steam library small, unlike 99.9% of Steam users?

So looks like a Switch like device was what Gabe was alluding to at that school talk as coming at the end of the year.

Very odd, but I am intrigued.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/exclusive-valve-is-making-a-switch-like-portable-gaming-pc/

Looking at

https://www.ayaneo.com/aya-neo
https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwin3
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/onexplayer-best-performing-handheld-game-console#/

I could certainly see Valve taking the newest intel or amd apu and making a portable that runs linux / windows and steam. I am sure they can do a better job than any of the 3 up above and they all made good ones. It could be Van Gogh based or if we are really lucky Rembrandt

If it's coming at the end of the year then wouldn't it be based on older hardware?

The Steam Machine Z is dead! Long live SteamPal!

Why would you need emulation in a device that runs Steam games? Is your Steam library small, unlike 99.9% of Steam users?

My steam library is full of titles requiring a desktop pc. I have no interest in buying or playing games from steam that work in portable form factor with tiny screen. I rarely play even with laptop as laptop gaming just sucks compared to consoles or desktop pc. Something retro I might find interesting if it was 0 configuration, things just work out of the box.

I went through psp and ps vita. Carrying extra brick is not fun when one already has phone and laptop.

Could this be a valve portable headset ?

maybe we see third gen light houses that are even smaller and can run on battery and the index 2 has an soc in it to compete with oculus ?

Maybe its a hip mounted soc instead of in the headset and so its more powerful ? Then you can buy a index 2 and use it with it and then an index 3 and use it with it. or buy an upgraded steampal and use it with your index 2 if you don't want the 3rd headset.

Only thing I know is more toys the better !

Looks like Van Gogh should be available now and Rembrandt would start to be available towards the end of the year ?
That's my point. You can't exactly just slot in a new APU in a custom design.

Personally I figured that's what he meant when he told some not just a few weeks ago, when asked whether Valve would release games on consoles. To paraphrase from memory his answer was [Sort of. Not in the way you expect; but when you see it you'll be like "Oh I get it!"]. I mean, what else could it be but there own console? Not like they don't have experience with hardware, experience distributing and creating games, and motivation to do so with the increased competition in the PC space.

Also I'm ever so slightly miffed Gabe didn't tell me. I emailed him, knowing he reads his emails, suggesting he do exactly this like two years ago. It seemed an obvious idea. C'mon Gabe, a little hint would've been cool. Oh also it's probably that slightly odd low power APU called Van Gogh: https://wccftech.com/amd-van-gogh-u...feature-zen-2-cpu-rdna-2-gpus-support-lpddr5/

Tl;Dr there is something like a quad core Zen 2, mobile clocks of course, maybe 8-12ish RDNA2 CUs, and LPDDR5. Realistically, in a handheld, should be a direct competitor to the Super Switch or whatever. Similar performance profile of above last gen (PS4/XBO) but not by any large amount.

That's my point. You can't exactly just slot in a new APU in a custom design.

I doubt valve would be waiting for final shipping silicon to slot it in. They would most likely have existing samples if they were going with Rembrandt.

I'm seeing some insiders claiming Van Gogh is dead.

Though it could be that aMD tried to sell the chip to someone else when Panay cancelled whatever Surface device was supposed to use it.

Could this be a valve portable headset ? ... Maybe its a hip mounted soc instead of in the headset and so its more powerful ?

There's nothing in the Ars article to suggest it's anything other than a Switch-like at this point. Whatever soc they use would make for a nice puck spec though. I'm a big fan of the puck idea.

It looks like it's indeed Van Gogh.
2 weeks before Arstechnica's story, a reddit user had already popped up claiming there'll be a Valve handheld using codename Jupiter and an APU called Aerith. Aerith is another codename for Van Gogh, as that name had appeared in a linux driver for AMD GPUs. The latest Steam Database mentions SteamPal with a controller named Neptune, so the naming scheme would fall in line with Jupiter for the device.

Here's what all the rumors are pointing at:

- Q4 2021 (which Gabe Newell already hinted at)
- $400 (sounds too low to me, but ok)
- 7 or 8" panel
- Single Zen2 CCX, 4-cores
- No reliable info on amount of CUs
- 256bit LPDDR5, which would provide a ridiculous 200GB/s total bandwidth (as much as a PS4 Pro).
- 9W TDP for the APU.
- No RT

The memory width for this is nothing short of ridiculous, especially for the price. Perhaps there will be several devices and $400 is just for the cheaper one with only half the bandwidth and fewer enabled CUs, say 6-8GB 128bit with 6 CUs enabled, and then there's a higher tier with 12-16GB 256bit with 12 CUs enabled but for $600 or more. This is just speculation on my part, of course.

This is pretty exciting. Now I'm really glad I didn't jump the gun on the GXPlayer crowdfunding.

My steam library is full of titles requiring a desktop pc. I have no interest in buying or playing games from steam that work in portable form factor with tiny screen. I rarely play even with laptop as laptop gaming just sucks compared to consoles or desktop pc. Something retro I might find interesting if it was 0 configuration, things just work out of the box.

I went through psp and ps vita. Carrying extra brick is not fun when one already has phone and laptop.

But why would you need a new device for emulators if your phone is most probably very good at emulating old platforms, and so is your previous phone, and probably the phone before it too?
So is your laptop, and perhaps a tablet that you own. Just add a controller or something like a Razer Kishi and you're good to go.

And if that isn't enough, you already have dozens of cheap chinese android handhelds with nice embedded gamepads running on a RK3399 which is more than what anyone needs to emulate old platforms.

I don't get this desire to get an expensive platform like a mobile x86 platform with a >1TFLOPs GPU to emulate stuff that doesn't need that kind of power.

So I tested GTA V, Doom Eternal, Civilization V and they all run pretty good. Even Cyberpunk runs at 30FPS with everything in Low which is fine. but OMG IT RUNS SUPER NINTENDO ROMs!"

I think it's 8, but can't remember where I got that from because VGH has been in limbo forever.
AFAIK 8 comes from Moore's Law is Dead, it's pure speculation and it's the minimum he said the SoC should have.
Even at 2GHz, those 8CUs would provide 2TFLOPs, which is of course great for a handheld, but not something that justifies a whopping 200GB/s bandwidth.

Tl;Dr there is something like a quad core Zen 2, mobile clocks of course, maybe 8-12ish RDNA2 CUs, and LPDDR5. Realistically, in a handheld, should be a direct competitor to the Super Switch or whatever. Similar performance profile of above last gen (PS4/XBO) but not by any large amount.

All it needs is an SSD.

2 weeks before Arstechnica's story, a reddit user had already popped up claiming there'll be a Valve handheld using codename Jupiter and an APU called Aerith. Aerith is another codename for Van Gogh, as that name had appeared in a linux driver for AMD GPUs. The latest Steam Database mentions SteamPal with a controller named Neptune, so the naming scheme would fall in line with Jupiter for the device.

- 7 or 8" panel
- 256bit LPDDR5, which would provide a ridiculous 200GB/s total bandwidth (as much as a PS4 Pro).
- 9W TDP for the APU.
- No RT

The memory width for this is nothing short of ridiculous, especially for the price. Perhaps there will be several devices and $400 is just for the cheaper one with only half the bandwidth and fewer enabled CUs, say 6-8GB 128bit with 6 CUs enabled, and then there's a higher tier with 12-16GB 256bit with 12 CUs enabled but for $600 or more. This is just speculation on my part, of course.

This is pretty exciting. Now I'm really glad I didn't jump the gun on the GXPlayer crowdfunding.

But why would you need a new device for emulators if your phone is most probably very good at emulating old platforms, and so is your previous phone, and probably the phone before it too?
So is your laptop, and perhaps a tablet that you own. Just add a controller or something like a Razer Kishi and you're good to go.

And if that isn't enough, you already have dozens of cheap chinese android handhelds with nice embedded gamepads running on a RK3399 which is more than what anyone needs to emulate old platforms.

I don't get this desire to get an expensive platform like a mobile x86 platform with a >1TFLOPs GPU to emulate stuff that doesn't need that kind of power.

So I tested GTA V, Doom Eternal, Civilization V and they all run pretty good. Even Cyberpunk runs at 30FPS with everything in Low which is fine. but OMG IT RUNS SUPER NINTENDO ROMs!"

VanGogh should be RDNA 2 based so why no RT ?

I also just worry about it being quad core in 2021 and beyond. But I guess we will see what is released

- 7 or 8" panel
- 9W TDP for the APU.
- No RT

$400 sounds reasonable it it's more of a traditional console in function. If it can't do general stuff and can only play games/similar then Valve could potentially swing the same sort of pricing that Sony and Microsoft get. Gabe already called it a console, so, maybe?

And heck, maybe the bandwidth is for the plugged in mode? Ratchet the fan and tdp up, make it a mini Series S, or well... close-ish. Either way it sounds cool for anyone looking for a mobile gaming thing. And could easily end up with a lot more games than Nintendo's stingy attitude gets it.

Back