Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Looks like the speedruns are from a fresh save, does it get harder the more you play? I honestly can't understand how difficult this game has become. It's way harder now than when I started.
It doesn't get harder, no. But the RNG can be pretty brutal, sometimes. Even though I had a fairly easy and straight-forward go through the game, had some runs where it completely brutalized me, even in the first biome.

Yep. As soon as you get the electric pylon gun, which is basically easy mode on this game, things get much better. You just have to get there :mrgreen:

Also - always save enough obolites (sp?) to buy yourself a max intergrity upgrade (costs 325 and you get one on each level).

Any leftovers, try to buy yourself a health potion thing (I'm terrible with names). Funnily enough, a nicely powered up handgun can be one of the best weapons (esp. with Homing missile on it).

Try to have only health-related consumables on you (small and large health potion thing, Damage Syphon is amazing too but not sure at which point you get that)

As I said earlier, the first level really is the biggest challenge as you start with nothing. Same with the fourth level.

Oh, and you can only carry a max of 30 ethers, so spend them!

Yep. As soon as you get the electric pylon gun, which is basically easy mode on this game, things get much better. You just have to get there :mrgreen:

Also - always save enough obolites (sp?) to buy yourself a max intergrity upgrade (costs 325 and you get one on each level).

Any leftovers, try to buy yourself a health potion thing (I'm terrible with names). Funnily enough, a nicely powered up handgun can be one of the best weapons (esp. with Homing missile on it).

Try to have only health-related consumables on you (small and large health potion thing, Damage Syphon is amazing too but not sure at which point you get that)

As I said earlier, the first level really is the biggest challenge as you start with nothing. Same with the fourth level.

Oh, and you can only carry a max of 30 ethers, so spend them!
Unlocking items at the Chtonos with Ether pays off pretty quickly.

Anyone that's tempted with buying this game, get the disc version not digital like me, coz if it doesn't work for you, it cannot be returned. And I'd honestly like to return Returnal back to where it came from.
I find in general the new price points to be atrocious. It's 89.99 CAD here for a new game. It's f__g mental after tax I see 102 dollars. I dont' want to say $10 dollars more than last year isn't that much more, because in some ways it's not when you look at inflation. But at the same time, I feel like this is where the camel's back is starting to break. Everyone has a limit on the bench press, you can't just keep adding 1 more lbs and expect to be able to lift it.

At this point in time, buying on disc and trading around is a critical component to being able to experience a lot more titles for less. I would have bought returnal already if it was much cheaper. I am forced to wait, or I borrow.

Last edited:
I find in general the new price points to be atrocious. It's 89.99 CAD here for a new game. It's f__g mental after tax I see 102 dollars. I dont' want to say $10 dollars more than last year isn't that much more, because in some ways it's not when you look at inflation. But at the same time, I feel like this is where the camel's back is starting to break. Everyone has a limit on the bench press, you can't just keep adding 1 more lbs and expect to be able to lift it.

At this point in time, buying on disc and trading around is a critical component to being able to experience a lot more titles for less. I would have bought returnal already if it was much cheaper. I am forced to wait, or I borrow.
Yes it is a lot esp when they make you pay for extras, though in the grand scheme, they are cheaper than ever (esp when you consider wages, unless you're on minimum wage eg in the US)
game-prices.001-980x735.jpeg

Yes it is a lot esp when they make you pay for extras, though in the grand scheme, they are cheaper than ever (esp when you consider wages, unless you're on minimum wage eg in the US)
yea and I do realize this that from a price perspective accounting for inflation they are cheaper.

But you need one more thing on that graph which is median income with inflation adjusted and cost of living. Then again, honestly perhaps we're only used to super cheap goods because we exploit under developed countries to get things at a remarkably cheaper price.

Dunno, a little bit of A and B I suspect.

Those are cheap. :p I still remember paying full MSRP of 80 USD for Ultima VIII back in 1994. Adjusted for inflation that's about 144 USD now. And the minimum wage in WA state was 4.25 USD an hour or 7.66 USD an hour adjusted for inflation.

So, not only are people making massively more money per hour now (minimum wage in WA state is 13.69 USD an hour versus inflation adjusted 7.66 USD an hour from 1994), they are also paying massively less for games compared to 1994. :p

I honestly wonder at times, how Millennials would fare back when you actually had to budget your money. :p

Regards,
SB

I had an Atari 2600 in 1980 (I was 10 btw) and those cartridges cost £29.99 - the ones that included special controllers like Indy 500 and Star Raiders were £39.00. Accounting for inflation thats £131and £175 today.

Although still cheaper than most NeoGeo games! :runaway:

yea and I do realize this that from a price perspective accounting for inflation they are cheaper.

But you need one more thing on that graph which is median income with inflation adjusted and cost of living. Then again, honestly perhaps we're only used to super cheap goods because we exploit under developed countries to get things at a remarkably cheaper price..
Exploited, or got exploited (looking at china, they were only too happy to step in :) )
Like I said unless you are one of the exceptions (min wage in USA eg) things have improved WRT goods (perhaps not house, though is that a goods?) in the 80s you used to work a month to buy a TV, now you could buy 3 a week if you wanted to.
From an older post of mine 'A couple of years ago I was watching a DVD of a NZ tv show from circa 1975, the show included all the original TVs ad, anyways one was advertising flights from auckland to sydney at a super low price of NZ$800 ($8158 in todays money) todat they cost about $150'
The year before last I brought a return ticket from barcelona to malta (~same dist as auckland -> sydney) for 10 euros.
Inflation is a bit bogus with these things esp when you look at things > 100 years ago, its usually off by orders of magnitude of what the same thing would cost today

Finished it last night, "true" ending and all. I started dying quite a lot and now I'm an unstoppable beast lol. The artifact and weapons you unlock help a ton when they spawn in the starting areas, and practice definitely makes perfect in this game.

I really liked it, but, I still think 70$ is a bit much for it. 10 bucks less would have been perfect IMO.

Maybe I'll go for the platinum once I finish RE:Village...

Finished it last night, "true" ending and all. I started dying quite a lot and now I'm an unstoppable beast lol. The artifact and weapons you unlock help a ton when they spawn in the starting areas, and practice definitely makes perfect in this game.

I really liked it, but, I still think 70$ is a bit much for it. 10 bucks less would have been perfect IMO.

Maybe I'll go for the platinum once I finish RE:Village...

I'M STILL ON THE FIRST LEVEL

(might as well have spent £70 on a demo!)

Returnal kinda too twitch-y to be played properly through SharePlay, methinks. Especially the boss fights, doubly so for
Phrike, that has some annoying short range melee attacks.

I'M STILL ON THE FIRST LEVEL

(might as well have spent £70 on a demo!)

Anything in specific you're having difficulty with in the first biome?

Returnal kinda too twitch-y to be played properly through SharePlay, methinks. Especially the boss fights, doubly so for
Phrike, that has some annoying short range melee attacks.

Anything in specific you're having difficulty with in the first biome?

The whole level. I guess my gaming ability is simply behind what this game expects. It's preposterous that the game starts hard and gets easier. I'm constantly seeing items just outside of range that I'd be able to pick up if I'd acquired more items from later biomes.

I'm expected to follow the enemies' attacks while also understanding where I am spacially. So I'm constantly falling in water or off a cliff, which is very annoying.

I'll give it one more shot tonight and if I fail again I'll delete it. I don't have the time to dedicate to this singular activity.

Nice, particle effects have been dire since the PS2 gen. We can thank the CPU's for this i assume. The above effect reminds me of a feature planetside 2 had before it was taken down again.

Weren't Planetside 2's particles GPU particles. I thought they were added in a PhysX update, and entirely processed on the GPU (or PPU if you had one of those).

The whole level. I guess my gaming ability is simply behind what this game expects. It's preposterous that the game starts hard and gets easier. I'm constantly seeing items just outside of range that I'd be able to pick up if I'd acquired more items from later biomes.

I'm expected to follow the enemies' attacks while also understanding where I am spacially. So I'm constantly falling in water or off a cliff, which is very annoying.

I'll give it one more shot tonight and if I fail again I'll delete it. I don't have the time to dedicate to this singular activity.

Not every game is for everyone. I know I would hate returnal. One is supposed to explore the biomes instead of trying to make quick progress. Not exploring/gathering resources makes game much harder. Another trick is to use sleep to make game easier: https://gamerant.com/returnal-heal-integrity-upgrade-max-ship-sleep/

Not every game is for everyone. I know I would hate returnal. One is supposed to explore the biomes instead of trying to make quick progress. Not exploring/gathering resources makes game much harder. Another trick is to use sleep to make game easier: https://gamerant.com/returnal-heal-integrity-upgrade-max-ship-sleep/

Okay tried that, when you sleep you only recover a small amount of health and can only do it once. Contrary to what that article says.

Also, I've always explored in the game. I've tried collecting resin to increase my health bar too. No success. I haven't even got to the first boss in the game since my first few goes at it. I can't understand how that'd be the case. I'm certain the game gets harder the more you play, which is frigging ridiculous for someone that found it hard to begin with. The balance of this game is completely off for me.

I'm honestly bored of trying and moaning about this game. I've deleted it.

Just fair warning to anyone that's thinking of getting it, I find it impossibly hard, you may too. I'm surprised every reviewer got on with the difficulty of it.

Back