GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

Going forward I expect 2 things to happen.
  • Developers that can and do wish to spend time pushing RT to see what they can do. Example - Remedy with Control.
  • Developers that will put in as much RT as the consoles can handle and little more than that. Example - Capcom with RE8.
There's nothing political about either of these situations. But there is little incentive for a developers who primarily target consoles to put it any effort beyond what is needed for a title to look good on consoles. This is nothing new, it's been happening for well over a decade now. This isn't a case of AMD pushing anything, but rather the realities of development time and budget. For the majority of game developers, this is where most of their revenue comes from.

Metro and Control are console games, too. Didnt hold Remedy and 4A Games back to implement a full scalable raytracing implementation...

Metro and Control are console games, too. Didnt hold Remedy and 4A Games back to implement a full scalable raytracing implementation...

Ummm, did you even read my post? I specifically pointed out Remedy with Control.

Metro falls into both categories depending on which release you are talking about. The first release would fit into the first category (RT implemented that benefitted current consoles in no way, but served as R&D for future consoles). The second release falls more into the second category (the only major thing that the non-console versions add is reflections).

Control RT implementation exists because of "politics" - one IHV willing to spend a lot of effort on making it happen.

I disagree. Remedy has a history of experimenting with things (both on consoles and PC). RT would have happened regardless of what IHV first implemented RT. NV didn't have to push Remedy to use it. If politics were a thing, then Remedy would have also used NV's version of DLSS 1.x rather than rolling with their own version of DLSS.

Regards,
SB

Because there are no "settings bumps" here? The point of the discussion is the lack of more precise RT modes which would make the port look a lot better at the cost of performance. This could've been solved on NV side at least by adding DLSS but alas we got neither. We even got way worse CBR-like solution on PC than what's used on consoles.

What I don't understand is why some PC gamers are celebrating the lack of console+ settings in this game. The whole RDNA2 line up on PC has more than enough performance to handle increased RT resolution so why be happy we didn't get it just because it makes things look more even between AMD and Nvidia? If I were lucky enough to own and RDNA2 based GPU I'd absolutely be wanting developers t push all settings to the max - even if it meant I could only play at 1440p when Nvidia users could play at 4k.

Developers that can and do wish to spend time pushing RT to see what they can do. Example - Remedy with Control.
Then there is Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, Watch Dogs Legion, Crysis Remastered, The Medium, Pumpkin Jack, Ghostrunner and Cyberpunk 2077, the list will go on and on, all willing to go beyond console RT capabilities. If anything it's AMD's backed RT titles that are the outliers here.

And much higher resolution RT should you so wish (checkerboard half res or full res RT above the quarter resolution that the consoles will be using).
Just checked RE8's config for fun and yes, maximum settings for RT are following:
RayTracingQuality=STANDARD
RayTracingSpecularRoughnessThresholdQuality=STANDARD
STANDARD is actually medium for all other settings in the game menu.
So standard is 2 presets below HIGH and HIGHEST, guess this answers the question whether there was any politics involved.
Will compare quality vs HIGHEST setting once I find appropriate location in the game.

Then there is Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, Watch Dogs Legion, Crysis Remastered, The Medium, Pumpkin Jack, Ghostrunner and Cyberpunk 2077, the list will go on and on, all willing to go beyond console RT capabilities. If anything it's AMD's backed RT titles that are the outliers here.

And all of those with the exception of maybe COD, are heavily PC focused as well. The Medium had been PC exclusive until they saw the specs for XBS-X. Crysis is by a developer who is also an Engine licensor. CDPR has a long history of being a first adopter on PC when it came to new tech (DX).

Basically, all of those with the possible exception of COD proves my point. And out of these, even here, the developers aren't pushing PC as hard as they have in the past. Crytek is pushing a little, but they aren't pushing the bounds of what is possible nearly as much as they did a decade+ ago.

Now, find primarily console devs who have added things that just plain don't exist on console? Anything Capcom makes is likely to just be console specific. Anything Square Enix makes will be console specific until a 3rd party port appears that might/might not push PC centric things (like a 3rd party port developer adding RT in the Tomb Raider game) some time after the console version. Some EA studios will push things (like DICE) some likely won't (like the FIFA devs).

For these, at best, you're likely to see higher settings for what exists on console, but you likely won't find much added that wasn't implemented for consoles.

Regards,
SB

I disagree. Remedy has a history of experimenting with things (both on consoles and PC). RT would have happened regardless of what IHV first implemented RT. NV didn't have to push Remedy to use it. If politics were a thing, then Remedy would have also used NV's version of DLSS 1.x rather than rolling with their own version of DLSS.
Where did I say "NV"? It happened because one IHV made a sizeable effort for it to happen - in both h/w and s/w. It wouldn't have happened otherwise. Hell, this IHV made a separate one off version of DLSS for that game specifically even. There was no "their version of DLSS".
The point is that one IHV right now seem to be if not straight up blocking implementations of advanced features then just being content with PC versions of multiplatform games staying at console graphical levels because this is the way they can showcase their h/w the best - the less optimizations and options there is the better. And I'm puzzled why anyone see this as a good thing. Doubly so because even with that this IHV's h/w is still loosing when RT is used so it's not like they will go from leading to loosing - they'll just be loosing a bit more right now but this will create even more stimulus for people to buy their future h/w once that will become available. It's just a puzzling situation all around.

What I don't understand is why some PC gamers are celebrating the lack of console+ settings in this game.

It's a great question but I suspect many people involved in these debates don't actually play games :)

As far as I can tell RE8 is a straight console port with no PC specific features. It would be strange if they put in additional work on PC yet also decided to limit settings to the lowest common denominator. That doesn't seem to be the case though and it's just a "lazy" port with no nefarious undertones.

What I don't understand is why some PC gamers are celebrating the lack of console+ settings in this game. The whole RDNA2 line up on PC has more than enough performance to handle increased RT resolution so why be happy we didn't get it just because it makes things look more even between AMD and Nvidia? If I were lucky enough to own and RDNA2 based GPU I'd absolutely be wanting developers t push all settings to the max - even if it meant I could only play at 1440p when Nvidia users could play at 4k.
People are just glad its not a version of RT that absolutely demolishes framerates while not really uplifting visuals much. See nearly any UE4 game, Control, Tomb Raider, COD etc.

The implication that AMD has prevented Capcom from achieving their vision of ray tracing on PC is rather funny. Is it AMD who has been behind all these basic console ports for the last 15 years?

Because there are no "settings bumps" here? The point of the discussion is the lack of more precise RT modes which would make the port look a lot better at the cost of performance. This could've been solved on NV side at least by adding DLSS but alas we got neither. We even got way worse CBR-like solution on PC than what's used on consoles.

Has their been a comparison showing that there are no minor improvements on the PC version in the typical areas such as shadows and LOD? Or that the CBR is worse? CBR being worse wouldn't be a first. Several titles have worse reconstruction/AA techniques. HZD, Far Cry games, Watch Dogs 2 etc.

Last edited:
I spent a few hours in the game on PC and it seems there is no DDGI as I initially thought based on PS5 demo that I had tried before and GameGPU results with the same RT time in 1080p and 4K.
This made me curious. After watching RT on/off vids both for 3070 and PS5, i did not spot dynamic GI at all. Payed attention to opening doors, statues moving up from floor, moving characters, but... nothing changes with any of those things? Lighting seems static?
I mean, i see RT on is brighter, looks a bit better and maybe has a bounce, but that's not what i've meant with 'GI is a bad example to spot RT usage'. I should see dynamic changes also on a compressed YT video.

So is it officially confirmed the game has RT Global Illumination, or is it just me who gets something wrong?

It's a great question but I suspect many people involved in these debates don't actually play games :)

As far as I can tell RE8 is a straight console port with no PC specific features. It would be strange if they put in additional work on PC yet also decided to limit settings to the lowest common denominator. That doesn't seem to be the case though and it's just a "lazy" port with no nefarious undertones.

Many so called console ports are developed on PC first, though. ;)

And all of those with the exception of maybe COD, are heavily PC focused as well. The Medium had been PC exclusive until they saw the specs for XBS-X. Crysis is by a developer who is also an Engine licensor. CDPR has a long history of being a first adopter on PC when it came to new tech (DX).
I disagree, those games I mentioned were developed with consoles in mind.
People are just glad its not a version of RT that absolutely demolishes framerates while not really uplifting visuals much. See nearly any UE4 game, Control, Tomb Raider, COD etc.
Control's RT doesn't uplift the visuals? don't make me laugh. What does in your books then? RE8?
Tomb Raider has significant shadows difference that made many scenes massively better with RT.

And in all of those games you mentioned there were clear scalability, where you can select low, medium and high ray tracing. If you don't like the massive cost, scale it down, RE8's solution is just cheap tricks, replace Standard quality with High quality, and the suckers will think they have a performant RT solution, while in fact it's just low quality RT disguised as High, even worse it still hits RDNA2 GPUs twice as much as NVIDIA GPUs.

Tomb-Raider-RTX-2-Live.gif

Tomb-Raider-RTX-5-Live.gif

Tomb-Raider-RTX-4-Live.gif

So is it officially confirmed the game has RT Global Illumination, or is it just me who gets something wrong?
Remembering comparisons with Control GI iguess it's baked with RT improving close range GI?
Not worth to manage BVH just for that and some reflections, IMO. RT off. (not that i had a choice :)

I disagree, those games I mentioned were developed with consoles in mind.

Control's RT doesn't uplift the visuals? don't make me laugh. What does in your books then? RE8?
Tomb Raider has significant shadows difference that made many scenes massively better with RT.

And in all of those games you mentioned there were clear scalability, where you can select low, medium and high ray tracing. If you don't like the massive cost, scale it down, RE8's solution is just cheap tricks, replace Standard quality with High quality, and the suckers will think they have a performant RT solution, while in fact it's just low quality RT disguised as High, even worse it still hits RDNA2 GPUs twice as much as NVIDIA GPUs.

Tomb-Raider-RTX-2-Live.gif

Tomb-Raider-RTX-5-Live.gif

Tomb-Raider-RTX-4-Live.gif
RE 8 is a mild visual uplift for a mildish performance hit. It doesn't sap up to 80% of your framerate away like Tomb Raider for example. And no I don't consider Control RT to be a large net visual gain. The only titles I consider to have large improvements in general are the Metro games.

Note I’m only referring to modern games, not Minecraft and Quake.

Last edited:
Just checked RE8's config for fun and yes, maximum settings for RT are following:
RayTracingQuality=STANDARD
RayTracingSpecularRoughnessThresholdQuality=STANDARD
STANDARD is actually medium for all other settings in the game menu.
So standard is 2 presets below HIGH and HIGHEST, guess this answers the question whether there was any politics involved.
Will compare quality vs HIGHEST setting once I find appropriate location in the game.
I will check that out too - thank you :)

edit: Just checked it out "HIGH" and "HIGHEST" when edited into the config for either of those values do nothing in game, sadly. Guess we are just stuck with this very low resolution RT.

Last edited:
RE 8 is a mild visual uplift for a mildish performance hit. It doesn't sap up to 80% of your framerate away like Tomb Raider for example. And no I don't consider Control RT to be a large net visual gain. The only titles I consider to have large improvements in general are the Metro games.

Note I’m only referring to modern games, not Minecraft and Quake.

According to this RT takes up more like 50% of performance on RDNA2, but I really don't see why giving people the option is a problem. The visual uplift can be significant as demonstrated by @DavidGraham shots above, and if you have an RDNA2 based GPU with more than enough power to run those visuals at either 4k/30 or 1440p/60 then why wouldn't you want the option?

17122416985l.jpg

According to this RT takes up more like 50% of performance on RDNA2, but I really don't see why giving people the option is a problem. The visual uplift can be significant as demonstrated by @DavidGraham shots above, and if you have an RDNA2 based GPU with more than enough power to run those visuals at either 4k/30 or 1440p/60 then why wouldn't you want the option?

17122416985l.jpg
In that particular bench it cuts the performance on AMD GPUs in half. It gets worse depending on the scene. I think the RT in RE Village is certainly better than this.

Back