Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Whether they are a monopoly are not has to be determined by the courts adjudicating an antitrust case.

They can be a monopoly but as long as they're not doing anything illegal to maintain or expand that monopoly, they are okay. Or else MS would have been broken up into pieces like AT&T.

depends on when. MS may have dominance in the home os market but its only a tiny % of the operating system market with IOS and Andriod being bigger now.

The EU is expected to rule this week that Apple abuses App Store policies in response to a complaint by Spotify.

But my understanding is that you can't subscribe to Spotify or pay the subscriptions through the iOS app? You have to register and pay for it through Spotify's website, evading the 30% App Store fee?

So their main complaint appears to be that Apple is competing against it with Apple Music, which probably does let you subscribe through the app.

Potentially, the EU fine could be 10% of Apple's global revenues!

But likely Apple will litigate it as far as they can unless they reach some kind of settlement.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...pple-with-anticompetitive-behavior-this-week/

Couple of things to note, Apple has way under 50% marketshare in Europe. In fact it would be interesting to see where Spotify has more subscribers, on iOS or Android, in the EU or in all markets.

Spotify is a European company, Apple is an American company. EU has taken the biggest actions vs. US tech companies, MS, Google, presumably they will take action eventually vs. Facebook and Amazon after they issue the action vs. Apple. They're also investigating Apple for their eBook and Apple Pay businesses.

EU may ultimately cause Apple to open up the App Store or side loading, maybe get out of the eBooks business, which may not be much of a loss, and make Apple give NFC access to their party mobile wallets.

EU has listened to consumers! They are taking down the Apple walled garden! They only listened to anti-Apple consumers but they listened to consumers!

The EU is expected to rule this week that Apple abuses App Store policies in response to a complaint by Spotify.

But my understanding is that you can't subscribe to Spotify or pay the subscriptions through the iOS app? You have to register and pay for it through Spotify's website, evading the 30% App Store fee?

So their main complaint appears to be that Apple is competing against it with Apple Music, which probably does let you subscribe through the app.

Potentially, the EU fine could be 10% of Apple's global revenues!

But likely Apple will litigate it as far as they can unless they reach some kind of settlement.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...pple-with-anticompetitive-behavior-this-week/

Couple of things to note, Apple has way under 50% marketshare in Europe. In fact it would be interesting to see where Spotify has more subscribers, on iOS or Android, in the EU or in all markets.

Spotify is a European company, Apple is an American company. EU has taken the biggest actions vs. US tech companies, MS, Google, presumably they will take action eventually vs. Facebook and Amazon after they issue the action vs. Apple. They're also investigating Apple for their eBook and Apple Pay businesses.

EU may ultimately cause Apple to open up the App Store or side loading, maybe get out of the eBooks business, which may not be much of a loss, and make Apple give NFC access to their party mobile wallets.

EU has listened to consumers! They are taking down the Apple walled garden! They only listened to anti-Apple consumers but they listened to consumers!

You can't subscribe to Spotify because then Spotify would have to hand over 30% of each subscription it gets through the app store.

Also apple collects any data it wants from its users that are going on Spotify so they are able see what features and artists spotify users like the most. Then they can go out and use their Apple money to get exclusive deals with those creators or make features that mimic the popular ones and so on and so forth.

With this judgement Apple could start to loose a lot of cases in the EU .

I don't think it's a judgement yet.

It has to go through their courts, unless Apple concedes to all of the EU's charges, decides to pay whatever fines they want.

I don't think it's a judgement yet.

It has to go through their courts, unless Apple concedes to all of the EU's charges, decides to pay whatever fines they want.

Yes its going to take a while to all play out. But it will be interesting to see what happens going forward .

I think Apple , Amazon, Google , Microsoft , Facebook are all way to big and need to be broken up. I would go in that order also since I think Facebook will start to implode with apple blocking out its main sources of revenue and I think Microsoft doesn't really have a strangle hold on anything yet but are really close to it.

Yes its going to take a while to all play out. But it will be interesting to see what happens going forward .

I think Apple , Amazon, Google , Microsoft , Facebook are all way to big and need to be broken up. I would go in that order also since I think Facebook will start to implode with apple blocking out its main sources of revenue and I think Microsoft doesn't really have a strangle hold on anything yet but are really close to it.

Out of those, Amazon is the least likely to get broken up, at least in the US. Thus far, they've exhibited almost no anti-consumer behavior, most of what they do is actually gears towards benefiting the consumer (low prices). They also haven't really exhibited monopolistic behavior. Some examples of monopolistic practices that they aren't really doing: buying up all of their competition, behind the scenes deals to limit product availability on other storefronts, increased pricing due to their position in the market, price fixing with other companies, filing lawsuits against competitors to limit their ability to compete, etc.

It's hard to make a case for breaking up Amazon other than that they are large. And in the US that's not enough to qualify.

Regards,
SB

Out of those, Amazon is the least likely to get broken up, at least in the US. Thus far, they've exhibited almost no anti-consumer behavior, most of what they do is actually gears towards benefiting the consumer (low prices). They also haven't really exhibited monopolistic behavior. Some examples of monopolistic practices that they aren't really doing: buying up all of their competition, behind the scenes deals to limit product availability on other storefronts, increased pricing due to their position in the market, price fixing with other companies, filing lawsuits against competitors to limit their ability to compete, etc.

It's hard to make a case for breaking up Amazon other than that they are large. And in the US that's not enough to qualify.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure if it does benefit consumers in all cases. To save money they did implement shared binning but it has resulted in a negative for the consumer as your likely to get counterfeit product from even respectable sellers. They have put all inventory into a single bin for that sku for any ship by amazon.

I think the government would look at them starting their own delivery service , them carrying a product and then cloning it and launching their own line of it and also them allowing counterfeit products to be sold.

For the common person splitting amazon up would bring back competition and will drive prices down and with a second real option might get rid of the counterfeit issue

So if Apple wins this and is allowed to keep IOS closed down does that mean MS can release an update to windows that disables steam and epic store ?

So if Apple wins this and is allowed to keep IOS closed down does that mean MS can release an update to windows that disables steam and epic store ?
I guess the equivalent would be MS releasing an update that doesn't allow anything to be installed or copied to PCs that doesn't go through their store.

considering that Epic makes most of its money on other platforms, which also charge 30%, it would mean the judge didn’t buy Epics dubious claim that it’s suffering under App Store policies and pricing.

it would mean that the judge still sees Sweeney is a billionaire despite his claims that Apple isn’t letting him make money.

Greedy capitalistic megacorporations acting like greedy capitalistic megacorporations. Who would have thought?

S/he's not sure?
huh
Based on that statement, s/he's not fit to preside over the case
what can the judge do? They ordered it sealed. It was then leaked. Do you still bother to seal it? The leaks are everywhere.

what can the judge do? They ordered it sealed. It was then leaked. Do you still bother to seal it? The leaks are everywhere.
Thats my point Once its out its out for good, theres no way to stop the republishing of the data, their doubtful statement "I'm not sure if at this point whether the genie is out of the bottle." shows they don't really understand (i.e. do you want this person presiding over the case).
I can categorically state yes for a fact the genie is out of the bottle, for the judge to have doubts shows misunderstanding of how information on the internet works, as we know once the information goes into that 'series of tubes' theres no removing it unless you know a really good plumber

Back