Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I just installed the PS4 game on PS5 so it is running at 60fps (very nice). But I see quite a big difference with the new footage, lighting, detail, amount of objects, foliage, animation, etc. Look forward to playing this game, also with the new controller feedback.

I just installed the PS4 game on PS5 so it is running at 60fps (very nice). But I see quite a big difference with the new footage, lighting, detail, amount of objects, foliage, animation, etc. Look forward to playing this game, also with the new controller feedback.

I played this more and the 60fps is really nice I have to say. Also there are some very rare video cutscenes that now look really bad in comparison to the 4k60 gameplay.

really like how the fur reacts to lighting here

FYV05y1.png
I am really curious how they are making this fur in real time in the game.

Yep. The models, lighting, and shading upgrade is super nice and very noticeable.

ps3
rcratchetps36rkid.png

ps4
rc48bratchetps444jkl.png

ps5
rcs7koh.png

Likely the same method as in Miles, which had great looking hair. Actual strands instead of the usual alpha textures. No idea how this is possible in real time.
Are you sure about that? They do like they are "grouped" in the case of Spiderman which gives the impression that they are still using cards (just a lot more of them). But if they are real time strands thats amazing. It is very very taxing.
Even more with Rachet who has hair all over his body, much finer, denser and shorter, each receiving light and shadows.
Curious how they achieved this

Likely the same method as in Miles, which had great looking hair. Actual strands instead of the usual alpha textures. No idea how this is possible in real time.
Could be that they went for software/compute rendering like Fifa did.
Would love to hear method Insomniac uses in detail.
Are you sure about that? They do like they are "grouped" in the case of Spiderman which gives the impression that they are still using cards (just a lot more of them). But if they are real time strands thats amazing. It is very very taxing.
Even more with Rachet who has hair all over his body, much finer, denser and shorter, each receiving light and shadows.
Curious how they achieved this
Even in strand based systems it's quite common to have control strands to reduce physics cost and also hair does have tendency to clump at some cases.

Yep, if FIFA could manage it with all those players on the field, it could be a thing now and i'm all for it. Literallyhave no idea how you can process individual strands like that in real time, although obviously they're not really as many strands as you would have in reality. It still looks amazing.

Could be that they went for software/compute rendering like Fifa did.
Would love to hear method Insomniac uses in detail.

Even in strand based systems it's quite common to have control strands to reduce physics cost and also hair does have tendency to clump at some cases.
Do you know a link of the current implementation I can check out?

If the rumor is true the portal will not be only used in Ratchet and Clank because there is a rumor saying Doctor Strange is in Spiderman 2.

Do you know a link of the current implementation I can check out?
Frostbite has perhaps the most modern one.

https://www.ea.com/frostbite/news/the-future-of-hair-rendering-technology-in-frostbite
Seems like they simulated 1/10th of the strands in the presented case.

Previous version (still used hardware rasterization & MSAA etc.)
http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2019/hair_presentation_final.pdf

I found an old paper on guide strands for simulation, I'm sure there are more.
http://erpoyart.com/research/hair/hair-mig.pdf

Last edited:
Back