Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the impact seems very minimal, but then again, it's lightly used. I wonder what RT features will the PC edition will hold. *drools*
It's interesting because this is not a game with loads of reflective surfaces, and it's mostly dark environments, so the current solution adds some atmosphere but is definitely very subtle. Not sure what more you can add from there? More light bounces? Maybe RT shadows would help too, but again that's probably just as subtle.

Not sure what more you can add from there?
That's super easy, they can increase reflections resolution, as of now on PS5, they have awfully low resolution.
Another huge improvement would be enabling higher roughness threshold so that more surfaces can receive RT reflections, not just absolutely smooth surfaces, there are tons of glossy and wet materials in the castle which can benefit hell a lot from specular occlusion and reflections.
I am inclined to believe that even these simple improvements won't make the cut into final release since feature and performance parity seems to be a thing in this generation and that's also AMD sponsored game on PC so making RT heavier is not in their best interest.

- In PS5 and Series X the Ray-Tracing mode is activated by default. In S Series it must be activated.
- Resolution is identical on PS5 and SeriesX. Both run at 2160p and, although it uses a checkerboard-like technique unique to RE Engine, the game seems to never drop below 2160p. S series runs at 1440p.
- In the Xbox versions the lighting seems somewhat warmer in the town area. Personally I find it more successful since the PS5 version sometimes gives a too blue tone. In any case, it is a setting that we can easily change on our TVs.
- Series X performs better than PS5 with Ray-Tracing activated, suffering fewer drops. Higher stress areas will have to be tested in the final version to better see the differences.
- In Series S, we have an average of 40FPS with the RT activated. I recommend playing without RT in this version, since we will get a practically stable 60FPS.
- The quality of the Ray-Tracing in global illumination as in reflections is identical.
- Loading times are slightly faster on PS5, about 3 seconds. Excellent loading times in all 3 versions.
- Same quality of shadows, textures and anisotropic filtering in the 3 versions.

There is an error in at minute 1:00. Those FPS belong to the Series X version, not the Series S. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Plenty of people saying the input lag on XSX with RT on being quite high. Similar to RE7. Also some areas with more stutter on PS5, others with more stutters on XSX.

Reactions: snc
So glad ultrawide is supported!

20210501211902-1.jpg

20210502010425-1.jpg

- In PS5 and Series X the Ray-Tracing mode is activated by default. In S Series it must be activated.
- Resolution is identical on PS5 and SeriesX. Both run at 2160p and, although it uses a checkerboard-like technique unique to RE Engine, the game seems to never drop below 2160p. S series runs at 1440p.
- In the Xbox versions the lighting seems somewhat warmer in the town area. Personally I find it more successful since the PS5 version sometimes gives a too blue tone. In any case, it is a setting that we can easily change on our TVs.
- Series X performs better than PS5 with Ray-Tracing activated, suffering fewer drops. Higher stress areas will have to be tested in the final version to better see the differences.
- In Series S, we have an average of 40FPS with the RT activated. I recommend playing without RT in this version, since we will get a practically stable 60FPS.
- The quality of the Ray-Tracing in global illumination as in reflections is identical.
- Loading times are slightly faster on PS5, about 3 seconds. Excellent loading times in all 3 versions.
- Same quality of shadows, textures and anisotropic filtering in the 3 versions.

There is an error in at minute 1:00. Those FPS belong to the Series X version, not the Series S. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Seems like an odd choice to go with 1440p on the Series S RT mode. I wonder how it'd perform at 1080p? They could implement a similar scaling process to Returnal (if the render budget was available).

Just played the PC edition, no RT mode available (grayed out). The castle interior is very beautiful and photorealistic at times.

1-3 FPS advantage on XsX over PS5 it seems.
Series S takes a huge hit in RT mode.

Judging by the video posted, doesn't seem like it. The outdoor area @3:10 has them both hitting 54fps at their lowest, but not much difference in the median or overall performance. There seems to be some weird lag or stutter happening in certain areas on XBSX, but without a final performance graph similar to VG Tech, we can't say for sure.

Also, the like-for-like scene seems to escape him/her when walking around. The erratic movement that they're doing at times is also weird.

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily say that at the moment... this is only a small sample. The final retail version and more accurate analysis will present a better picture. But I'm not expecting great differences though.

I'm still wondering why Capcom disabled RT in the PC demo. I wonder if they didn't want early reviews where RTX cards (RT) are outperforming AMD cards, especially since RE8 is sponsored by AMD (on the PC side). Just my tinfoil hat moment.

Seems like an odd choice to go with 1440p on the Series S RT mode. I wonder how it'd perform at 1080p? They could implement a similar scaling process to Returnal (if the render budget was available).
It wouldn't reach a locked 60 FPS at 1080p with Raytracing on.

Source: I've run it on a 2060 laptop which is a bit stronger than a Series S. But it also seems like the RT scaling options are not working, going from high to low does not increase FPS at all. So maybe that is something that will be fixed in the final release.

Last edited:
It wouldn't reach a locked 60 FPS at 1080p with Raytracing on.

Source: I've run it on a 2060 laptop which is a bit stronger than a Series S. But it also seems like the RT scaling options are not working, going from high to low does not increase FPS at all. So maybe that is something that will be fixed in the final release.

What? How did you get RT to work on the PC? It's disabled for me...
1yrzvz0.png

IDK, maybe update your drivers and especially your Windows version (important!)

I have the latest NV drivers and Win-10 is up to date. I'll check again...

Edit: Just checked, Win-10 is up to date, and GPU drivers. All my games with RT are working correctly. I guess you're lucky... :yep2:

NxPL8uK.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back