Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
This whole 'game is very/too difficult' narrative is kinda pathetic. Some games are difficult. Some games are difficult for some people, other games are easy for other people. Personally I found Demon Souls super easy - but I was coming fresh from getting the Dark Souls 3 platinum which was basically hell.

I platinumed Resogun (took a million years) and I think I only managed to actually kill the final boss once or twice - and only cause one of the trophies required me to do it, and only on Easy (if I remember correctly). I don't think I ever managed to beat that final boss on any harder difficulties. After racking up hundreds of hours of fun on the game. And I kept playing it again because it was so much fun, which is exactly the point of these games.

When did gamers become such babies?

I did, more because I think Housemarque are friggin amazing so I want to support them. And the game looks hella fun too.

A lot of people picked this up off of the strength of Sony's name in making great games. I don't doubt for people that like these games, that they aren't having a blast with the game. The issues that I see are the following.

Reviewers play games for a living, they are far more time to devote to a game than the average human being. Reviewers aren't us. Gaming is their job, it ain't ours. Largely why I don't pay attention to what they say. Their sensibilities and time committed to gaming aren't typically mine.
Runs are structured too long for people that basically have other things to do. Asking someone to commit 3-4 hours to a run is a serious time sink that most people can't commit too. Shorter ones like in Hades or The Binding of Isaac would be perfect.
My previously said thought about difficulty levels. Most people aren't built for this type of difficulty especially when people have OCD saving habits that they can't use here. It's not the hardest game in the world but you will be punished for basically not playing flawlessly. Not a fault of the game but it should have been conveyed a hell of a lot better than it was. Not to mention, a lot of people put games on easy to just enjoy the story. A rougelike is the antithetical game for that. However, I'm sure for a lot of people, this is their first rougelike and they are getting a rude awakening.

All of the above of no fault of Housemarque. Looks like they set out with a vision and more or less nailed the vision. My only comment is that I don't really know if that vision really meshes well with the gaming populous at large for those that have bought the game. For a lot of people as I said, this is their roguelike game and I've read enough of people complain about the trappings that the genre bring. That's on the consumer, not Sony though.

The only thing that could be pointed in their direction are the bugs and all that they bring.

That said, they are going to buckle on that save issue. The fervor is too loud to ignore.

I've had no issues with the game so far. I'm definitely on the noobish end of gamers these days, since I hardly have time to play.

I've completed a bunch of runs on this and I'm working out the systems. It's only been fun so far. I've acquired the sword on my last run and then got to the first boss who kicked my arse in their second phase.

It's not annoying yet, but then I've only attempted the boss once. I've seen people have some healing thingamajig on their L1, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

The controls are so tight that when you fail you know that the only thing to blame is yourself. The systems are fair, just punishing.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...e_sonys_problem_other_bugs_being_investigated

While it’s certainly not affecting everyone, a number of Returnal players are experiencing crashes while playing the game. This is something Housemarque has acknowledged, although it’s suggested that the PlayStation 5 is the problem – and not necessarily the game. Writing on Discord, a spokesperson said: “This is an issue with the platform. We've sent our report to [Sony]. Specifically, it has something to do with the pre-start system.”

Almost killed the first boss a few times. My partner is already in the third level, which is probably what’s making me even angrier [emoji23]
lol this thread delivers.
The journey from:
this game can't be that hard, gamers are weak to I've got platinum DS, I can take it; can't get pass first boss, partner already at level 3, anger rising

I managed to beat 1st boss on my 2nd run, with 1hp remaining. :) The game is really addictive.

That's quite impressive.

I had my whole family in the room chatting away on my last attempt; three boys and my girlfriend. I had my 2yo sat on my lap watching "big car" videos quite loudly on my phone, with the older boys watching along. I cleared the first phase of the boss pretty well, used the health thingy on his second phase, then got to the third part when my girlfriend decided to start playing a video of my 2yo where it sounds like he's calling me a "wanker" very loudly.

I died.

I do kinda wish they'd offer a difficulty option for people in my social gaming situation.

All jokes aside, this game is incredible. Just beaten the third boss at my second attempt. The story is completely batshit, still no idea what on earth is going on.

The particles - oh my lord. You get to certain it’s where swarms of particles come together to form sort of holographs showing the alien race doing certain things. If you shoot those holograms, the particles move realistically reacting to the shot, and then go back to where they were in the hologram. The game is full of bits like this and it’s just ridiculous to see.

I must say, the first level is probably the toughest so far, probably because you get some crazy good weapons after a bit which really help.

The particles - oh my lord. You get to certain it’s where swarms of particles come together to form sort of holographs showing the alien race doing certain things. If you shoot those holograms, the particles move realistically reacting to the shot, and then go back to where they were in the hologram. The game is full of bits like this and it’s just ridiculous to see.

From what i have seen and read, reminds me of ZoE2 PS2. I like heavy particle effects, il get this one later on.

So. And I’m not using this as an excuse. But it kinda is.

Earlier today I realised that my TV was set on “cinema Pro” which on my set adds about 150ms or more of lag compared to very little on “game mode”.

So. Yeah. Fixed that and I’d love to say I’m much better at this game but this is yet to be proven.

Back