Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I think this may be a misnomer. Games/applications shouldn't be able to access the kernel in Windows. CPUs literally have separate user and kernel modes to keep the sensitive parts of the OS separate from other code.

This is probably just a reference to Halo Infinite running some DRM that makes it difficult for cheat utilities to influence the code.

It was running at "ring 0" of the Windows OS as detailed here.

Why Valorants Vanguard Anti-Cheat has to be changed ASAP : pcgaming (reddit.com)

The problem at launch was that it was always on and players couldn't easily disable it, thus presenting an increased security hazard. They've since patched it so that players can disable it when not playing the game, however, it still runs in "ring 0"

Upcoming Vanguard changes : VALORANT (reddit.com)

MS are just stating that they won't be implementing an anti-cheat system that is as invasive as the one Valorant and some other games use. It will be interesting to see how effective they are.

A closer look at Valorant's always-on anti-cheat system | Engadget

That article mentions in passing some of the other games using Kernel mode drivers for their anti-cheat. Fortnite and DayZ.

Regards,
SB

I think they'll be fine. This game isn't meant to be a graphical tour de force.
the reason they delayed was cause of the negative feedback because of the graphics, so they obviously are concerned with how it was graphically perceived, like I said by delaying it further to 'fix' it, they run the risk of much better titles being released, so it will even look relatively worse when it comes out. Its like today I watched the video for 'Second Extinction' which looks decent enuf ordinarily but the problem is I watched the rachet and clunk gameplay video just before it, In musical terms its like a group going out on stage after late 60s,early 70s The Who, you may be super great but you dont want to follow them cause you're gonna look hohum.

It was running at "ring 0" of the Windows OS as detailed here.
Ok, so it's a fake kernel extension driver that monitors the game and prevents cheat utilities from interacting with it. This does not seem desirable given the stability issues a bad kernel driver could cause, even if not directly controlling hardware.

I'm sure Microsoft can probably implement a better system. I am curious, but not enough to start googling it in detail, how existing cheat utilities circumvent Windows protected memory model to influence game code.

November 15 is the 20 year anniversary of Halo, so it's most likely then.

Yes its what I expect. The game has been done since last fall. It was supposed to release then. Since then they have added more content and have worked on increasing the graphics in the game. However the game still needs to work on xbox one. So there is only so much they can do.

I think this may be a misnomer. Games/applications shouldn't be able to access the kernel in Windows. CPUs literally have separate user and kernel modes to keep the sensitive parts of the OS separate from other code.

This is probably just a reference to Halo Infinite running some DRM that makes it difficult for cheat utilities to influence the code.

https://www.techspot.com/news/84841-valorant-anti-cheat-software-loads-kernel-based-driver.html

Valorant anti-cheat was viewed as a rootkit malware by some security people.

I think they'll be fine. This game isn't meant to be a graphical tour de force. The most played games today are all F2P and none of them are anywhere close to be a graphical powerhouse except for Call of Duty. Halo is being designed to have a huge player base with a long MP tail. That's a bigger ask around game design than it is around graphics. Not being able to figure out how to move forward in the FPS space is the key issue 343i needs to solve. Half their population wants it to stay like Halo 1-3. The other half who are used to newer styles of FPS games and mechanics want Halo to evolve. So that's really where they are going to struggle imo. They need to introduce key FPS game design innovations of their own like they did with Halo when it launched. Graphics are a far second from that in terms of importance.

Halo came into fame not because of graphics. They introduced the trinity of FPS design of gun, melee grenade. They introduced self healing shields/armor. All of which is a big principle in most FPS games today. They introduced big landscape battles combined with vehicular warfare, seamless indoor/outdoor combat. Also now widely used everywhere.

Since then, they've introduced nothing. That's where I see the problem being for Halo. This new one needs to change the dynamic, they've tried, but largely failed at really change the FPS landscape.

I wish it was. It's suppose to be Halo "Infinite". I wish it to be a test platform for MS's latest technology while releasing new iterations of the game as those techs become stable and ready for utilization and incorporation by other first and third-party devs. Halo should be the epitome of what's possible with DirectX and MS's console hardware.

Sort of like a Crysis thats continually updated to remain ahead of the curve.

the reason they delayed was cause of the negative feedback because of the graphics, so they obviously are concerned with how it was graphically perceived, like I said by delaying it further to 'fix' it, they run the risk of much better titles being released, so it will even look relatively worse when it comes out. Its like today I watched the video for 'Second Extinction' which looks decent enuf ordinarily but the problem is I watched the rachet and clunk gameplay video just before it, In musical terms its like a group going out on stage after late 60s,early 70s The Who, you may be super great but you dont want to follow them cause you're gonna look hohum.
I'm pretty sure the game was far from complete as well. A game like Halo could use the additional time to make things better. I'm 100% certain it's not just graphics they have been working on for over a year.

Don't know if it was debunked or not but Infinite is supposed to be a platformer (10yrs plan?) like MCC.
343 said that infinite (paraphrasing) "will set the stage for the next 10 years of halo" Some people interpret that to mean we will only have halo infinite and dlcs for the next decade.

Personally I interpret what 343 said to mean that infinite will set the stage for a new series of halo games, which have been loosely planned out already, that will be released over the next decade.

343 said that infinite (paraphrasing) "will set the stage for the next 10 years of halo" Some people interpret that to mean we will only have halo infinite and dlcs for the next decade.

Personally I interpret what 343 said to mean that infinite will set the stage for a new series of halo games, which have been loosely planned out already, that will be released over the next decade.

Probably because bungie said that 10 years thing and it made bungie a destiny exclusive developer. Thus people thinks the same with 343?

I'm pretty sure the game was far from complete as well. A game like Halo could use the additional time to make things better. I'm 100% certain it's not just graphics they have been working on for over a year.
Oh sure, And obviously gameplay is far far more important than graphics. With my own personal game unfortunately the graphics are decent its just the gameplay thats sorely lacking, I wish it was reversed :cry:
Thats why getting Halo out ASAP, the gameplay should be decent enuf, sure more time will cause it to look better but with each new release showing better and better graphics then the bar gets set higher and higher so the further your game has to achieve just to measure up to the competition, In most cases I believe only delay if its buggy / or not fun.

Probably because bungie said that 10 years thing and it made bungie a destiny exclusive developer. Thus people thinks the same with 343?

I think what they posted was poorly worded, and could be read either as halo infinite being the only halo game for the next 10 years, or that it would be setting the stage for things to come. Of course, being the internet everyone assumes that the least good option is what is actually happening

Don't know if it was debunked or not but Infinite is supposed to be a platformer (10yrs plan?) like MCC.

They obviously meant to say they are downplaying combat and shooting in favor of platform hopping in the vein of super mario.

lol yea, I feel you.. And I'm worried about the latter half of your sentence. Don't release unless you know you're going to make waves
how is this making waves?
halo.jpg

top from halo reach on xb360 more than 10 years ago, bottom recent promo pic for halo infinite

Last edited:
its broken now. But he's comparing Halo Reach with Halo Infinite and not seeing a lot of difference.

broken image over here. is it just me?
Its not just you, I also can't see my image on my android phone with chrome (same phone with firefox works), No problems seeing it on an ipad or windows PC, no idea why its not showing up on the phone with chrome
edit: actually its also not showing up on the windows PC with chrome or edge
hmmm so what causes it only to be visible with firefox?

Its not just you, I also can't see my image on my android phone with chrome (same phone with firefox works), No problems seeing it on an ipad or windows PC, no idea why its not showing up on the phone with chrome
edit: actually its also not showing up on the windows PC with chrome or edge
hmmm so what causes it only to be visible with firefox?

You can see the image in Edge by right clicking the broken image and choosing to open the image in another tab. I'd imagine it's the same with Chrome. I'm going to assume this is basically just how Chromium handles things and for some reason Chromium doesn't like how the image is linked from that particular host site. This is further backed up with Opera (Chromium based) also exhibiting the exact same behavior.

Regards,
SB

With game pass they could simply keep Halo Infinite for that long of a time span continuously adding content and story to the game. They can even do complete over hauls of the engine if they wanted too. MMOs like Ultima , EQ1/2 and WOW have done this through out their life spans to keep up with evolving technology. At some point in the future they can even start releasing updates only available on the newer hardware. Sea of Thieves is now 3 years old and it seems like they will keep supporting it with content and it still seems to be pretty popular.

I think with these games as a service type games the biggest problem they all face is lack of content. Division , Destiny or what have you all come out with a distinct lack of content and by the time the content machine rolls out most people have moved on or there just isn't enough content to keep the steady usage numbers they need.

If MS did this right the year delay could have given them all the content they intended to launch with plus a years worth of additional content. Which if they are smart will start to come out as monthly packs of content instead of a drop all at once. That way there is enough constant new content to keep people engaged

Back