Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I6ZC5gy.png

This looks great. The left looks videogamey, the right cgi.
Terrific work by Alex. The improvement is incredible, even in SDR.

I would have liked it if he lingered on some comparison shots longer to let me process the differences (even after he finishes talking, say for 5 seconds minimum per split-screen comparo). I also think it’d be interesting if he played with the contrast and brightness in some shots (the one above and the train compartment come to mind) to better approximate the new look (i.e., blow out the whites and brighten the darks, accepting a noisier picture). I realize this isn’t super useful, just somewhat interesting for some scenes.

The doctor scene at ~15:30 is a nice example of a long split-screen comparison between the two lighting engines/versions.

Last edited:
If they run at 60FPS, then it'll probably look like @Dictator 's recommendations for RX 6700 XT GPUs: View attachment 5455

Apparently, they're quoting a 4k/60 fps experience for PS5 and XSX: https://wccftech.com/metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-dlss/

The RTX 2060 in the Digital Foundry video was doing around 60fps but at 1080p, so really curious to see what's actually pulled off on the consoles.

They also mention in a FAQ that the FidelityFX Super Resolution isn't compatible with their rendering technique: https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th/

Apparently, they're quoting a 4k/60 fps experience for PS5 and XSX: https://wccftech.com/metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-dlss/

The RTX 2060 in the Digital Foundry video was doing around 60fps but at 1080p, so really curious to see what's actually pulled off on the consoles.

They also mention in a FAQ that the FidelityFX Super Resolution isn't compatible with their rendering technique: https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th/
Well, they can still use different resolutions there. The RTX2060 seems to perform really well (even if it got just 6GB of memory). So I have no doubt, that it should perform relatively well, even on the series s. Btw, the CPU-Tests show, that even a low resolution (sub 480p) looks quite good ;)

As expected, the enhanced Metro Exodus edition with the upgraded RT GI and reflections, runs 27% to 50% faster on NVIDIA hardware depending on the scene.

Very nice upgrade. A lot of it is subtle but the scene with the candles on the floor....huge difference. Deferred shading and tiling gave us many lights. Now RT is giving us many shadows.

Yes, I'm totally on board with ditching the RT reflections in order to unify the lighting system around RT. Outside of a few games (like Control), I'm kind of tired of seeing reflections forced into games (like omnipresent water puddles, wet surfaces, pristine just off the sales lot cars everywhere, etc.) just for a game to shout out, "Look at me, I have RT!"

Now that Metro: Exodus has gotten rid of their sub-par minimal effort non-RT lighting, hopefully, the lighting will look good. I'm mostly interested to see if they've gotten rid of ambient occlusion hacks and if the RT has enough bounces to allow for natural light propagation to more naturally recreate those real life effects. If not then RT still isn't quite there. But I have high hopes.

Regards,
SB
RT sucks as of now. Few games use it, no decent GPUs to run on sale at sane prizes, consoles' implementation, lol...and so on and so forth.

HDR makes the biggest impact since the transition from 2D to 3D.

So first we should start getting used to lovely HDR and 1000+ nits TVs/monitors becoming the norm and maybe one day RT could shine afterwards. (if you use Auto HDR or SpecialK you will know why it's beautiful)

I’m not sure if he was referring to the difference in working between baked and unbaked. Or if he was referring to altering texture values for PBR to support an all RTGI type lighting system.

me 2. Lol. Gonna rely on the consoles for heavy lifting. Not sure if I can afford a new GPU right now

I presume you basically need to remove most or all of the baked lighting?

I6ZC5gy.png

This looks great. The left looks videogamey, the right cgi.
you can change the left to similar to the right just by raising its brightness.
I prefer the right, but the left prolly looks closer to reality (if they used the outside part from the right, so neither are correct) ). the human eye doesnt really adapt to bright light and dark light together, eg in the other building outside would appear near pitch black I assume IRL.
Still early days so this aint the best implementation but at least this is showing ppl that raytracing is all about lighting and not that distorted impression that we got sold for the last 6-12 months where its used for nice reflections. Unless the game takes place in a mirrored skyscraper world then its of bugger all importance. Take a look around you indoors/outdoors IRL on average raytraced reflections are prolly useful in <0.1% of your view. Lighting effects 100%

They use their own reconstruction tech.

• Next-gen temporal reconstruction technology.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/02/16/metro-exodus-ps5-details/

In Metro 2019 with RT, were the "fake" light sources still implemented btw ? Or it was it full RT and only RT like this 2021 version ? Sorry if it was explained in the video, bad memory :eek:

In Metro 2019 with RT, were the "fake" light sources still implemented btw ? Or it was it full RT and only RT like this 2021 version ? Sorry if it was explained in the video, bad memory :eek:
Totally not biased here, but I recommend watching the video.
But yeah, every indoor scene or even aspects of outdoor scenes (inside train cars) had fake light sources in them with RT on in the 2019 version.

so 2019 rt praised version turned out to be completly incorrect :d
Well kinda - there is a difference in post-processing happening there which is not something I can avoid while making the comps. @zed mentions it above. If you normalise post-processing in that scene between versions, you would see less of a stark difference.
The scenes where the outdoor area is not as "over-exposed" shows off the difference much better I think as the post-processing there is more similar:
yohooxjxx.jpg

so 2019 rt praised version turned out to be completly incorrect :d 4A Games says it will be 4k 60 with gi rt on ps5/xsx, doubt it

As @Globalisateur pointed out, they've released an image showing the features of the console versions. One of those is listed as "Next-gen temporal reconstruction technology", so deffo not native resolution.

It looks surpringly nice in Alex's video. A much cleaner image than other scaling tech (I'm thinking Remedy's and some older CBR techniques - Horizon Zero Dawn looks very low-res to my eyes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HLJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back