Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a refresher...
pyHfJQT.png
Forgot about this; it would appear there is only going to be one console version of this title: RT on.

Just a refresher...
pyHfJQT.png

Yes, I'm totally on board with ditching the RT reflections in order to unify the lighting system around RT. Outside of a few games (like Control), I'm kind of tired of seeing reflections forced into games (like omnipresent water puddles, wet surfaces, pristine just off the sales lot cars everywhere, etc.) just for a game to shout out, "Look at me, I have RT!"

Now that Metro: Exodus has gotten rid of their sub-par minimal effort non-RT lighting, hopefully, the lighting will look good. I'm mostly interested to see if they've gotten rid of ambient occlusion hacks and if the RT has enough bounces to allow for natural light propagation to more naturally recreate those real life effects. If not then RT still isn't quite there. But I have high hopes.

Regards,
SB

Considering the number of ray bounces are spread across several frames (as with UE5), then I wonder if the console version simply spreads those bounces across more frames. Will be interesting to see.

Considering the number of ray bounces are spread across several frames (as with UE5), then I wonder if the console version simply spreads those bounces across more frames. Will be interesting to see.
if it holds 60 and looks fairly close to this, I'm sold. Buying a copy on release. I tried this title on gamepass, but I couldn't get into it at the time. Granted, good graphics don't make a game better, but I'm willing to make an exception to try a little harder this time around.

I'm mostly interested to see if they've gotten rid of ambient occlusion hacks and if the RT has enough bounces to allow for natural light propagation to more naturally recreate those real life effects.
It does, watch the DF video about it, posted here.
ACE Update

Alex on spitting RT bars on this video

This is next gen lighting.

I really liked the first two games and am yet to play the third, but I never thought of Metro as a AAA game, to be honest.
Double-A (more than $10M, less $60M budget) would have been my guess.

Outside of a few games (like Control), I'm kind of tired of seeing reflections forced into games (like omnipresent water puddles, wet surfaces, pristine just off the sales lot cars everywhere, etc.) just for a game to shout out, "Look at me, I have RT!"
This.

I haven't played it for a while so maybe some patch improved it somehow, but Watchdogs Legion on the PS5 makes it look like 90% of near-future-London is made out of mirrors.

Don't love the art direction changes (clearly this could be dialed into remain just as dark, but have the same infinite bounces) but technically this looks amazing. Latency is a tolerable trade for good lighting.

ACE Update

Alex on spitting RT bars on this video

This is next gen lighting.

This is extremly impressive. Just wow.

I am guessing those RTX 2060 benchmarks were without DLSS at native 1080p to make a fair native vs native comparison between 2019 and 2021? If so, then that's even more impressive that is runs that good on a 2060 even before DLSS comes into play.

Halfway through.
I'm surprised that the tools haven't been able to be updated to, auto work out where the fake bounce lighting probes need to be placed.

Run it with RT, it compares without, places light probes in relevant places to simulate it.

Halfway through.
I'm surprised that the tools haven't been able to be updated to, auto work out where the fake bounce lighting probes need to be placed.

Run it with RT, it compares without, places light probes in relevant places to simulate it.
isn't that standard probe based GI + ambient occlusion?

if it holds 60 and looks fairly close to this, I'm sold. Buying a copy on release. I tried this title on gamepass, but I couldn't get into it at the time. Granted, good graphics don't make a game better, but I'm willing to make an exception to try a little harder this time around.
buy better now cause update is free and now is cheap

It does, watch the DF video about it, posted here.
it's everything I've ever wanted from RT. I wasn't sure how painful it would be on the hardware and historical tracking made it seem like something like this wouldn't be possible (especially on the low end of things). But to think we are going to be moving into this and leaving behind older lighting models in this current generation is extremely exciting for everyone really. We're seeing some good innovation here in the RT space within year; maybe 5-6 years down the road we're going to see even further innovation as we leave behind the older lighting model.
tenor.gif

So, as said around 3:18, did he actually mean that the developers had to rebake all assets/textures to more correctly match the new lighting (RTGI)?

Is that the actual reason why just turning on RT in most games look kinda weird? Devs in those cases did NOT rebake?

So, as said around 3:18, did he actually mean that the developers had to rebake all assets/textures to more correctly match the new lighting (RTGI)?

Is that the actual reason why just turning on RT in most games look kinda weird? Devs in those cases did NOT rebake?
I’m not sure if he was referring to the difference in working between baked and unbaked. Or if he was referring to altering texture values for PBR to support an all RTGI type lighting system.
That looks ridiculously good. My GTX1070 is crying right now.
me 2. Lol. Gonna rely on the consoles for heavy lifting. Not sure if I can afford a new GPU right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back