LG OLED as PC Monitor: The bad and the good

My LG OLED has been "on" overnight a few times now with no ill effect. I'd imagine that's because I make it a habit to make sure nothing is being displayed on the OLED display (either minimize windows or move them to the side monitor) before leaving my desk. So even though the OLED display was "on" all the pixels were off because it's just a pure black background.

Regards,
SB

the safety features that runs behind the scene is really much better, the "HP" of the subpixels itself still didn't get enough levelup/improvement IMO.

AFAIK, in the last ~3-4 years, the real subpixels levelup/improvement that brings more "HP" is the latest EVO oled panel from LG (because it can be as bright as previous panel with 20% less wattage, thus probably it will last longer)

*by HP i meant, HP like in video games, dunno how to say that in English LOL.

EDIT
@Silent_Buddha
yeah, that should be safe. My screen was showing a web page the got blocks of red, blocks of yellow, lots of text.

My LG OLED has been "on" overnight a few times now with no ill effect. I'd imagine that's because I make it a habit to make sure nothing is being displayed on the OLED display (either minimize windows or move them to the side monitor) before leaving my desk. So even though the OLED display was "on" all the pixels were off because it's just a pure black background.

Regards,
SB

Also, don't screensavers exist anymore in Windows?

All the more reason to use Wireless Controllers since they would at least idle out and turn off.

All the more reason to use Wireless Controllers since they would at least idle out and turn off.
Bluetooth controllers on PC are terribly inconsistent for me, so many issues historically. I only ever buy wired controllers now.

Bluetooth controllers on PC are terribly inconsistent for me, so many issues historically. I only ever buy wired controllers now.

That's a shame. I hoped they would be at least as reliable as the old controllers with the special PC wireless adapter.

Well, it's not an LG TV ... but it still uses an LG panel.

My New Gaming Monitor - YouTube

Gigabyte now has an LG OLED Monitor that includes a DP input.

Also, I like that they highlight that you don't need to sacrifice and use an ultrawide monitor if you want to have an ultrawide gaming experience. It's something I've been doing for years. OLED makes it better because you don't have the "grey" bars and instead you have pure black bars which makes the experience exactly like an ultrawide monitor ... but with the benefit of a full 16:9 panel when you aren't doing ultrawide gaming.

Looks like because of this, Linus is never going back to ultrawide monitors.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Well, it's not an LG TV ... but it still uses an LG panel.

My New Gaming Monitor - YouTube

Gigabyte now has an LG OLED Monitor that includes a DP input.

Also, I like that they highlight that you don't need to sacrifice and use an ultrawide monitor if you want to have an ultrawide gaming experience. It's something I've been doing for years. OLED makes it better because you don't have the "grey" bars and instead you have pure black bars which makes the experience exactly like an ultrawide monitor ... but with the benefit of a full 16:9 panel when you aren't doing ultrawide gaming.

Looks like because of this, Linus is never going back to ultrawide monitors.

Regards,
SB

btw any way to "move" the letterboxes?

for my sitting position, its much better if i move the "screen" to only use the top half or top 3/4. so no black bar on top, but HUGE black bar on the bottom.

Back