All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

MS went into production later and are having supply issues. Its why your seeing the series s pop up more. They get more per wafer for each system.

Its also one of those things that MS doesn't actually care about. This year they will have Halo and a few other large game and over the next few years the flood gates will open for microsoft in terms of games. MS will be selling all they can make for a long time

After PS5 sold at higher price with scalpers everywhere. PS5 have more demand but less than the sales difference.

After PS5 sold at higher price with scalpers everywhere. PS5 have more demand but less than the sales difference.

MS delayed their biggest title by a year. Not much point in spending $300-$500 right now if what you want was delayed. There are a lot of big titles coming only to xbox / pc that gamers will want to play. So the majority of gamers will be knocking on MS's door when they are released

MS delayed their biggest exclusive title by a year. Not much point in spending $300-$500 right now if what you want was delayed. There are a lot of big titles coming only to xbox / pc that gamers will want to play. So the majority of gamers will be knocking on MS's door when they are released
Corrected. And FTR less than 1 in 10 Xbox owners bought the last game. You're also ignoring the massive advantage in BC that XSX has over PS5 that we endlessly get shoved down our throats.

By the time those 'big titles' come the cast will be already set...next gen might be interesting though.

I'm a little confused.
Both MS and Sony are happy because this generation is the fastest selling, but you can't find any console anywhere, and MS looks like is selling a tenth of ps5 having more stock.
It feels like we are in this generation by years, but that it has not begun too.

Corrected. And FTR less than 1 in 10 Xbox owners bought the last game.
Hey don't knock it, according to NPD It was the 9th best selling first person shooter on the Xbox One in the USA :mrgreen: (like madden, tekken, final fantasy etc the franchises best days are behind it, ppls tastes change)
In my opinion MS would be better served taking a lot more chances, releasing a lot more unusual titles from indies etc, one never knows gonna be the next minecraft, fall guys, among us, fortnite etc

Corrected. And FTR less than 1 in 10 Xbox owners bought the last game. You're also ignoring the massive advantage in BC that XSX has over PS5 that we endlessly get shoved down our throats.

By the time those 'big titles' come the cast will be already set...next gen might be interesting though.

Halo is still a big enough title that I know people who only buy an xbox when the new one hits. Also all it takes is one break out title inth series and it could sell like gang busters again and become a movement. Call of Duty has gone through many cycles.

Also a generation is never set. There are titles out there that can shift generations. If Elder scrolls is only on xbox then a lot of playstation fans will either buy an xbox or pc to play it. Same goes for any of MS's new and past franchises.

Hey don't knock it, according to NPD It was the 9th best selling first person shooter on the Xbox One in the USA :mrgreen: (like madden, tekken, final fantasy etc the franchises best days are behind it, ppls tastes change)
In my opinion MS would be better served taking a lot more chances, releasing a lot more unusual titles from indies etc, one never knows gonna be the next minecraft, fall guys, among us, fortnite etc

MS is doing both. They are launching new franchises while reimagining their old franchises. There are still millions of people who want a new halo , perhaps 10s of millions. Why would MS stop servicing those people ?

With Game pass games will get more exposure so even if a person has fallen off halo if they have game pass they may try out the new one

Halo is still a big enough title that I know people who only buy an xbox when the new one hits. Also all it takes is one break out title inth series and it could sell like gang busters again and become a movement. Call of Duty has gone through many cycles.

Also a generation is never set. There are titles out there that can shift generations. If Elder scrolls is only on xbox then a lot of playstation fans will either buy an xbox or pc to play it. Same goes for any of MS's new and past franchises.

MS is doing both. They are launching new franchises while reimagining their old franchises. There are still millions of people who want a new halo , perhaps 10s of millions. Why would MS stop servicing those people ?

With Game pass games will get more exposure so even if a person has fallen off halo if they have game pass they may try out the new one

There's always anecdotal evidence, not going to move the earth though. Fact is the last outing did poorly and after what was shown previously any excitement was extinguished.

Sure there will be some movement, but it's not like Sony is standing still.

There's always anecdotal evidence, not going to move the earth though. Fact is the last outing did poorly and after what was shown previously any excitement was extinguished.

Sure there will be some movement, but it's not like Sony is standing still.

Again its about building a narrative.

Halo will come out this fall and with game pass it will continue to get new content for a long long time. Each game MS adds continues to build on it and eventually people will to the xbox platform . Doesn't really matter if its primarily for Halo or halo is the thing that pushes the value / content ratio over the edge . But your not going to be be able to play halo on the switch or PlayStation. Maybe it will be starfield. Maybe this Holiday someone can look at a ps5 and its games or an xbox and its games (or pc) and say hmm they both have games I want to play but I can buy an xbox series x for $35 a month and get all these games to play.

The point is you need to build a story and MS is building that story. Its page by page but its getting written and each new page makes the story stronger nor worse.

I know a lot of people who want to buy and play halo infinite even after its first showing. I was and still am hyped and haven't played halo since part 3. But my group of friends from that time frame are all active in our group chat talking about it , most are upgrading their pc or buying an xbox series x. Most have asked me for discounted game pass.

EzGOKAxUUAY1BLX

SS: Miles Morales is killing it.

Per, ArmGunar

Top Sony PS4/PS5 games in US is (dollar sales) :
  1. Spider-Man
  2. God of War
  3. Miles Morales
  4. The Last of Us Part II
  5. Ghost / Horizon
  6. Ghost / Horizon
  7. Uncharted 4 (4M sold through bundles, not counted here)
Ratchet and Clank will likely be the first PS5 software I buy. Fwiw game pass and psn are the only purchases for either of my launch window systems to date.

Again its about building a narrative.

Halo will come out this fall and with game pass it will continue to get new content for a long long time. Each game MS adds continues to build on it and eventually people will to the xbox platform . Doesn't really matter if its primarily for Halo or halo is the thing that pushes the value / content ratio over the edge . But your not going to be be able to play halo on the switch or PlayStation. Maybe it will be starfield. Maybe this Holiday someone can look at a ps5 and its games or an xbox and its games (or pc) and say hmm they both have games I want to play but I can buy an xbox series x for $35 a month and get all these games to play.

The point is you need to build a story and MS is building that story. Its page by page but its getting written and each new page makes the story stronger nor worse.

I know a lot of people who want to buy and play halo infinite even after its first showing. I was and still am hyped and haven't played halo since part 3. But my group of friends from that time frame are all active in our group chat talking about it , most are upgrading their pc or buying an xbox series x. Most have asked me for discounted game pass.
The problem is MS need to turn a tide, and that's not easy - Sony already have the mindset and games which are selling significantly better than the last Halo. To add some context, the 'crappy' PSVR sales are around the same (if not more) as the last Halo sales. That's a dedicated bit of expensive hardware vs MS biggest franchise.

Problem is you talk like Sony have nothing to offer...they have plenty of exclusives not available on any other format, with MS I can play those games on PC or stream to whatever.

Anyway we will have to agree to disagree. For me it's too late this gen, Sony had too much momentum and big hitters.

The problem is MS need to turn a tide, and that's not easy - Sony already have the mindset and games which are selling significantly better than the last Halo. To add some context, the 'crappy' PSVR sales are around the same (if not more) as the last Halo sales. That's a dedicated bit of expensive hardware vs MS biggest franchise.

Problem is you talk like Sony have nothing to offer...they have plenty of exclusives not available on any other format, with MS I can play those games on PC or stream to whatever.

Anyway we will have to agree to disagree. For me it's too late this gen, Sony had too much momentum and big hitters.

well I guess MS should just release kinect 3 right ? It sold better than PS VR and most of the titles sold better than the best PS VR titles.

Sony didn't catch up to microsoft over night with the ps3. MS will take time to change things. But MS is selling the Xbox on more than just xbox consoles. I don't own an xbox console but I am on the xbox platform

Also to me sony has nothing to offer. They haven't really made a game that interests me in at least a decade. The only thing I was remotely interested in is a remake of a ps3 game. The games that I'm interested in are all on PC/ XBOX and more importantly the majority will be on game pass.

I play a ton of xcom like games so wasteland and gears tactics are huge games to me. I play a ton of WRPGs so Fable , Avowed , Starfield and elder scrolls are a huge deal to me. I also play FPS games like doom and wolfenstein and perfect dark and gears and of course halo.

So yea to me sony has nothing to offer right now and nothing announced has changed that to me.

Last edited:
well I guess MS should just release kinect 3 right ? It sold better than PS VR and most of the titles sold better than the best PS VR titles.
LOL, what has this got to do with anything? I was just showing how little weight Halo has compared to the previous versions.

Sony didn't catch up to microsoft over night with the ps3. MS will take time to change things. But MS is selling the Xbox on more than just xbox consoles. I don't own an xbox console but I am on the xbox platform
No, because MS had a year headstart?! However, PS3 outsold X360 launches aligned despite being significantly more expensive, having very few exclusives and almost all 3rd party games running worse.

Also to me sony has nothing to offer. They haven't really made a game that interests me in at least a decade. The only thing I was remotely interested in is a remake of a ps3 game. The games that I'm interested in are all on PC/ XBOX and more importantly the majority will be on game pass.
Well that's great for you. However the majority of gamers don't think like you and the sales are showing that.

LOL, what has this got to do with anything? I was just showing how little weight Halo has compared to the previous versions.

I was pointing out that ps vr has nothing to do with halo. Halo sells well and has a dedicated fan base that shows up to buy consoles and content.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/447617/halo-series-tops-81-million-units-sold/

Seems to still have legs as the titles launched after july 2015 were halo 4 and halo wars 2.

No, because MS had a year headstart?! However, PS3 outsold X360 launches aligned despite being significantly more expensive, having very few exclusives and almost all 3rd party games running worse.
While also selling 50m or so less consoles than its processor or successor and sony taking massive losses through that generation in order to end up in a similar postion to microsoft who in the previous generation sold 25m consoles vs sony's 150m consoles

Well that's great for you. However the majority of gamers don't think like you and the sales are showing that.
The majority of what gamers?

Xbox series vs ps5 ?

Xbox platform vs ps5 ?

What numbers are you talking about ?

Also what does current sales have to do with what I am talking about? I said once halo hits and the other games start getting release dates and released sales will start to go up quickly because of the story Microsoft is writing / painting.

Currently we don't know if MS is more supply constrained than sony and there are world wide shortages of almost all electronics.

I was pointing out that ps vr has nothing to do with halo. Halo sells well and has a dedicated fan base that shows up to buy consoles and content.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/447617/halo-series-tops-81-million-units-sold/

Seems to still have legs as the titles launched after july 2015 were halo 4 and halo wars 2.
Ok, so seems my link was old data - but still, it didn't help XBO and that's probably because those who must play Halo already bought Xbox One - much like I must play the next ND game so bought a PS4.

While also selling 50m or so less consoles than its processor or successor and sony taking massive losses through that generation in order to end up in a similar postion to microsoft who in the previous generation sold 25m consoles vs sony's 150m consoles
You just don't get it, a year head start - much cheaper hardware, more exclusives, better 3rd party games, better online experience etc but still sold slower! If MS do all of a sudden unlock the XSX power and all these amazing exclusives they will be in the same boat without the year head start.

The majority of what gamers?

Xbox series vs ps5 ?

Xbox platform vs ps5 ?

What numbers are you talking about ?
Majority of those who buy consoles don't think like you IMHO.

Also what does current sales have to do with what I am talking about? I said once halo hits and the other games start getting release dates and released sales will start to go up quickly because of the story Microsoft is writing / painting.
Yep, we will see and come back to this ;)

Currently we don't know if MS is more supply constrained than sony and there are world wide shortages of almost all electronics.
We do know that both are hard to get hold of and PS5 demands a higher resale price...therefore even though there's more out there there's more demand also.

Ok, so seems my link was old data - but still, it didn't help XBO and that's probably because those who must play Halo already bought Xbox One - much like I must play the next ND game so bought a PS4.
How do you know how many of those people who bought an xbox one bought it only for halo ? How do you know how many people will buy a xbox series for the new halo ? How many people will buy an xbox series because halo pushes them over the edge with other great titles announced ?

You just don't get it, a year head start - much cheaper hardware, more exclusives, better 3rd party games, better online experience etc but still sold slower! If MS do all of a sudden unlock the XSX power and all these amazing exclusives they will be in the same boat without the year head start.

It sold 4 times the amount of its predecessor while the ps3 sold half. Seems like they did great then. This time around MS will have even better first party titles to go along with better 3rd party versions of games

Majority of those who buy consoles don't think like you IMHO.

I dunno I own a switch which seems to be what the majority buys ?

Yep, we will see and come back to this ;)

Good luck because we will still be in a shortage of hardware for both companies

We do know that both are hard to get hold of and PS5 demands a higher resale price...therefore even though there's more out there there's more demand also.

Do we ? on ebay I see series x ending tat upwards of $800 for the system only
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...988378&hash=item447ba5000f:g:WaQAAOSwVchgfhKn

and the ps5 at $800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Plays...042371?hash=item2d2e48aa03:g:BZUAAOSwyiZf2mEb

there are xboxs and playstations that people bundled other stuff with

There is one ps5 bundle spiderman , demon souls , a second controller and a camera and 12 months of ps+ for $950 but its hard to judge bundles

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ps5-disc-b...667353?hash=item422f0486d9:g:qkUAAOSwOrJgdgCU

here is an xbox bundle going for $900
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-Serie...311529?hash=item3dbaff7f69:g:~roAAOSwT1tgfgjz

So I dunno if i would say one is going for more than another system. It really depends on who is bidding and how bad they want it at that point

How do you know how many of those people who bought an xbox one bought it only for halo ? How do you know how many people will buy a xbox series for the new halo ? How many people will buy an xbox series because halo pushes them over the edge with other great titles announced ?
Well you can find the data on the previous release to show how well it boosted sales if you're so confident...but bar a blip it didn't happen.

It sold 4 times the amount of its predecessor while the ps3 sold half. Seems like they did great then. This time around MS will have even better first party titles to go along with better 3rd party versions of games
3.5 times and 0.6 (of the biggest selling console ever - which was also ultra cheap), but feel free to massage the figures and ignore the Wii which was taking the world by storm, we'll ignore all those facts. PS3 was a complete car crash of a console yet it still sold quicker than the X360. But my point was X360 had so much going for it, everything you're talking about what MS might potentially have in a year or 2 - except it won't have a price advantage and Sony won't be standing still...they will also have new games to show/reveal between now and then.

I dunno I own a switch which seems to be what the majority buys ?
We're talking Xbox vs PlayStation but I notice you like moving targets all the time. Switch caters for the handheld market too so it's not a straight comparison.

Good luck because we will still be in a shortage of hardware for both companies
What are you talking about? Either it's going to sell gangbusters and start outselling PS5 or it's not, are you saying the shortages will last for a couple of years? I guess Covid is not to blame for these shortages either...make your mind up!

Do we ? on ebay I see series x ending tat upwards of $800 for the system only
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...988378&hash=item447ba5000f:g:WaQAAOSwVchgfhKn

and the ps5 at $800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Plays...042371?hash=item2d2e48aa03:g:BZUAAOSwyiZf2mEb

there are xboxs and playstations that people bundled other stuff with

There is one ps5 bundle spiderman , demon souls , a second controller and a camera and 12 months of ps+ for $950 but its hard to judge bundles

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ps5-disc-b...667353?hash=item422f0486d9:g:qkUAAOSwOrJgdgCU

here is an xbox bundle going for $900
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-Serie...311529?hash=item3dbaff7f69:g:~roAAOSwT1tgfgjz

So I dunno if i would say one is going for more than another system. It really depends on who is bidding and how bad they want it at that point
Oh, cherry picking data time - yay!

Why not look at actual sales? In the most recent sales PS5 is selling for $100 to $150 more (also worth noting PS5 sold around 3x XSX);
xbox series x console | eBay
playstation 5 console | eBay

And we all know the Xbox is the most popular in the US - there I believe it's fairly split between the 2? The main issue MS have is expanding the market, here's some data from the UK which is apparently MSs 2nd most popular territory;

CEX UK, PS% 10 in stock selling @ £720 XSX 15 in stock selling at £600 each;
Playstation 5 Console, 825GB, White, Boxed - CeX (UK): - Buy, Sell, Donate (webuy.com)
Xbox Series X Console, 1TB, Black, Boxed - CeX (UK): - Buy, Sell, Donate (webuy.com)

So PS5 demanding a higher value and is selling faster/more volume.

So far this gen is playing out like last gen, the main reason may well be BC - games require a lot more time investment these days and people have progress/purchases they will want to take with them. Granted these devs MS have bought may give them some more pulling power, but when are we going to see these games? Everything is being delayed and these big AAA games take a lot of time already...

Last edited:
Back