PlayStation Store on PS3 and PS Vita Will Continue Operations

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/

Upon further reflection, however, it’s clear that we made the wrong decision here. So today I’m happy to say that we will be keeping the PlayStation Store operational for PS3 and PS Vita devices. PSP commerce functionality will retire on July 2, 2021 as planned.

I’m glad that we can keep this piece of our history alive for gamers to enjoy, while we continue to create cutting-edge new game worlds for PS4, PS5, and the next generation of VR.

I get it, but I'm still shaking my head. Just want them to focus more on true PS5 games, not PS4 cross-platform titles.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with closing down the Vita store is the fact that until very recently there were still a bunch of smaller indie games coming for the platform, so Sony was effectively taking away those dev houses' ability to sell their games.

Regardless, what Sony desperately needs (and totally not what I desperately want them to do) is to launch a handheld console that just emulates Vita games. That should mitigate the problem IMO.

Back