Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

I've been looking at the IVAS and how it differs from the standard hololens 2, would you say its fair to consider the IVAS system a 'hololens 2.5'? From what I have found the IVAS headset has substantially higher FOV because it uses twice as many screen projector module things

If xbox ends up having a VR accessory it will be very interesting to see how it has been influenced by hololens, I am certain that it wouldnt have any AR capabilities, beyond the camera feed pass through system that something like the HTC Vive has, but taking the hololens frame and lens mount and swapping the AR screens with regular panels seems like a good option.
different approaches , same result

I've been looking at the IVAS and how it differs from the standard hololens 2, would you say its fair to consider the IVAS system a 'hololens 2.5'? From what I have found the IVAS headset has substantially higher FOV because it uses twice as many screen projector module things

If xbox ends up having a VR accessory it will be very interesting to see how it has been influenced by hololens, I am certain that it wouldnt have any AR capabilities, beyond the camera feed pass through system that something like the HTC Vive has, but taking the hololens frame and lens mount and swapping the AR screens with regular panels seems like a good option.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. While some things from the IVAS project will trickle down to HoloLens, it's entirely possible that not all of it will. They can do things for the IVAS that are impractical to do for a commercial product due to cost.

This is similar to how things trickle down all the time from military R&D (including NASA) into the public sector, but not all of it does ... and not purely for national security reasons. The military (and NASA) are willing and able to pay for things that just wouldn't be profitable in the public sector.

Regards,
SB

I wouldn't necessarily say that. While some things from the IVAS project will trickle down to HoloLens, it's entirely possible that not all of it will. They can do things for the IVAS that are impractical to do for a commercial product due to cost.

This is similar to how things trickle down all the time from military R&D (including NASA) into the public sector, but not all of it does ... and not purely for national security reasons. The military (and NASA) are willing and able to pay for things that just wouldn't be profitable in the public sector.

Regards,
SB

oh for sure, I'm sure that a headset that worth 180k over ten years (22B divided by 120,000 head sets) can have more bells and whistles than the base hololens could hope to have. It will be very interesting to see if they offer a IVAS 'spec' headset to commercial customers, with the larger FOV, not necessarily the other military specific stuff

So you allocated 0% of the project budget to software and software development. Not realistic at all.

Plan :
lets all join the military using false identities then when we are issued ivas's we bugger off home and use them to play battlefield

In 2018 Microsoft won the $480 million evaluation contract for just over 2500 prototype units, based on HoloLens 2 with some modifications and an extra sensor. But the evaluation found the hardware not rugged enough for military use, and identified problems with the sensors at night. In the years following the hardware was significantly upgraded – it’s more ruggedized and houses many more sensors. The field of view was been significantly increased from roughly 40°x30° to 80°x40°. That’s wider than any other known see-through AR headset on the market.

What's great is this will all end up in future hololens for enterprise and then end user hardware.

An Army report on testing Hololens indicates the testing didn't go well.

It made soldiers physically ill. On top of that, it had shortcomings which would potentially compromise the safety of the soldiers in the battlefield.

A US Army report that Bloomberg and Business Insider claim to have accessed indicates that Microsoft's HoloLens-based headsets, during testing, made soldiers feel physically ill and more vulnerable to harm.

Insider said an excerpt of a US Army report on a "recent" field test dictated to it by an unnamed employee included a soldier who tested the tech saying, "The devices would have gotten us killed."

This was reportedly in relation to the light that emits from mixed reality headsets like the HoloLens.

"Criticisms, according to the employee who dictated to Insider excerpts of this report, included that the device's glow from the display was visible from hundreds of meters away, which could give away the position of the wearer," Insider reported on Tuesday.

Symptoms included nausea, headaches, strained eyes.

But even if it didn't make the soldier sick, the weight of the device limited the movement and the field of view, which are again potential liabilities in the battlefield.

An Army report on testing Hololens indicates the testing didn't go well.

It made soldiers physically ill. On top of that, it had shortcomings which would potentially compromise the safety of the soldiers in the battlefield.

Symptoms included nausea, headaches, strained eyes.

But even if it didn't make the soldier sick, the weight of the device limited the movement and the field of view, which are again potential liabilities in the battlefield.

That is what tests are for , the will take the data and refine the equipment to address the issues. As users use it more motion sickness becomes less of an issue.

A spokesperson for the Army told Insider that tests of the goggles — known as the Integrated Visual Augmentation System, or IVAS — were so far considered to be a success. 'The emerging results indicate that the program achieved success in most of the Army evaluation criteria,' Brigadier General Christopher D. Schneider told Insider in a press statement.

It's a marathon not a sprint. The military wants to make this tech work as it will give them a great advantage , Ms wants to make this tech work cause they are getting billions from the government and then billions from the private sector.

Last edited:
Back