MLB: The Show 2021 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, XGP]

Hmm, I dont read it like Zhuge. This can be read as a fairly simple case of MLB demanding the game come to more platforms in exchange for the license.

MLB has been struggling with fading popularity in recent years and is trying a lot of things to jumpstart that. My guess is MLB see Madden and NBA2k generating a lot of sport interest as multiplats, and pushed for that.

Perhaps this is a way for Sony to consolidate interest and sales too. MLB could be more like Madden and NBA, as it's the only high production values baseball series going. Everybody likes $.

It makes sense that sport game gets a multiplat release, plus they were probably on the point of signing an extension deal and MLB pressured them to reach wider audience.

I don't know that else from big Sony 1st party could get this kind of deal. GTSport going multiplat before/after arrival of full [exclusive] GT7?

Multi-platform can generate more sales which benefits the devs, in turn exclusives benefit sony. Maybe mlb wasn’t doing too well.

I wonder if Sony will exploit the FOMO?

Like what bungie did with Destiny and its exclusive Playstation contents

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/02/mlb-the-show-21-coming-to-xbox-game-pass-day-one/

MLB The Show 21 is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

With another thrilling Opening Day in the books, Major League Baseball fans around the world were treated to all the nail biters, dingers, and bat flips they could handle when teams took the field to kick off the 2021 season. But if you thought that was all the big news we’re bringing you this week, you’d be wrong!

We’re delighted to announce that MLB The Show 21 is coming to Xbox Game Pass on day one and will be available on April 20 for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, as well as on Android phones and tablets via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) for Ultimate members. Both MLB The Show 21 Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S Standard Editions will be included with Xbox Game Pass so members will be able to play the best version of the game regardless of which console they’re on. And with cross-platform play and progress, you can play against others online, and earn and use content across the platform and generation you choose.

MLB_TheShow.jpg

Cross-Play support too.

Cross-Platform Play and Cross Progression Comes to MLB The Show!

That’s right, with The Show live on multiple platforms, users will be able to play against each other online with cross-platform play in MLB The Show 21. In addition, cross-progression allows you to earn and use content on whichever platform and generation you choose. (Note: cross-platform progression excludes purchased Stubs).

MLB The Show 21 launches April 20, 2021. The standard edition on Xbox One is $59.99 USD/$79.99 CAD, and on Xbox Series X|S for $69.99 USD/$89.99 CAD.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/02/mlb-the-show-21-coming-to-xbox-game-pass-day-one/

MLB The Show 21 is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

With another thrilling Opening Day in the books, Major League Baseball fans around the world were treated to all the nail biters, dingers, and bat flips they could handle when teams took the field to kick off the 2021 season. But if you thought that was all the big news we’re bringing you this week, you’d be wrong!

We’re delighted to announce that MLB The Show 21 is coming to Xbox Game Pass on day one and will be available on April 20 for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, as well as on Android phones and tablets via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) for Ultimate members. Both MLB The Show 21 Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S Standard Editions will be included with Xbox Game Pass so members will be able to play the best version of the game regardless of which console they’re on. And with cross-platform play and progress, you can play against others online, and earn and use content across the platform and generation you choose.

MLB_TheShow.jpg

Since Sony is the publisher, was this their decision on delivering MLB: TS21 day one on GP? Or, Sony had no say-so on how Microsoft delivered MLB: TS21 across their platforms?

Since Sony is the publisher, was this their decision on delivering MLB: TS21 day one on GP? Or, Sony had no say-so on how Microsoft delivered MLB: TS21 across their platforms?

On Xbox consoles the publisher of MLB The Show 2021 is listed as MLB. That might be like how the publisher is listed differently for Microsoft owned games on Playstation while they list Microsoft (of some sort) on Xbox or PC. Or it might be an indication that Sony are merely the developers for hire and the MLB has full control.

On Xbox consoles the publisher of MLB The Show 2021 is listed as MLB. That might be like how the publisher is listed differently for Microsoft owned games on Playstation while they list Microsoft (of some sort) on Xbox or PC. Or it might be an indication that Sony are merely the developers for hire and the MLB has full control.

Interesting.

But how does that even work though? Major League Baseball is now a game publisher (or just specifically for this game on X and S)? Nevermind... :runaway:

Wonder how much MS had to pay and how much Sony gets of that....I would guess that MLB takes most of the money, but I don't really know anything.

Wonder how much MS had to pay and how much Sony gets of that....I would guess that MLB takes most of the money, but I don't really know anything.
I was wondering about this too. MLB own the licensing but Sony buy the licence and work on the game is theirs. I think the IP licensing situation is going to get a lot more interesting in the coming years. It doesn't not make a lot of sense for popular IPs to be locked to certain platforms.

I was wondering about this too. MLB own the licensing but Sony buy the licence and work on the game is theirs. I think the IP licensing situation is going to get a lot more interesting in the coming years. It doesn't not make a lot of sense for popular IPs to be locked to certain platforms.

It doesnt also makes sense to be Sony making the game if it ends giving advantages to rival platforms. In this case, Sony would be better getting the game from a third, and having its team working on exclusives.

Lets see if the game ends beeing offered on PSN, or if it requires PSN+ to be played online... Even on Xbox.

It doesnt also makes sense to be Sony making the game if it ends giving advantages to rival platforms. In this case, Sony would be better getting the game from a third, and having its team working on exclusives.

Maybe. Sony must perceive the 2021 situation as being beneficial to them; they've been banging out MLB for years so presumably there is enough interest on PlayStation to keep doing it and the reviews are solid. So not being part of this continued development of MLB The Show would well result in a poorer-quality game which could diminish appeal of PlayStation to some.

This move may not have been their call but Microsoft are channeling money to Sony, directly or indirectly, which means more money for Sony and continued assurance of a decent quality game. Everybody wins. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back