Discord exploring sale worth more than $10 Billion

liams

Regular
According to Venturebeat discord is exploring a sale that could be worth more than 10B
Discord exploring sale that could be worth more than $10 billion | VentureBeat

Seems that a deal could be imminent as "one source said the company has signed an exclusive acquisition discussion with one party"

There are a couple of possibilities of potential companys that could be the one to acquire discord if the deal were to happen. In my thinking the three likeliest parties to acquire discord are Microsoft, Tencent, and Amazon. Of course I am sure that the facebooks of the world would be interested but I don't think they would go for it while they are under so much scrutiny at the moment.

I dont think it would be amazon, as they dont typically make big acquisitions.

Discord fits microsoft's modus operandi to a T, Microsoft is all about community, which was why, according to Satya Nadella, they acquired github and linkedIn. LinkedIn cost Microsoft $28 B, is discord worth ~1/3 of that? I could see someone making the case that it is. Also discord has more MAU than steam, so its a massive opportunity. (the most recent numbers I saw was ~140 million MAU for discord, which I think is the highest MAU of any gaming service, atleast in the west?, could be wrong on that though.)

more on business things...

Microsoft might purchase Discord accoring to Jez Corden

If true, this is huge. My brother, who isn't the typical technical guy, casual at gaming and stuff, joined a Discord server on things he likes, the stock market.

He has totally fallen in love with the service! He told a few weeks ago if I knew the company behind Discord that he would invest as much money as he could on them, 'cos he is so impressed with the service and consider it the future.

Can discord be next ? Would be another sub service they can integrate into the xbox ultimate brand.

Actually thinking about it by connecting it with game pass lets say I'm playing a game and one of my discord friends sees me playing it , well they can click on it and try it out for x amount of time or if a game pass subscriber they can just launch it.

Could also be a good way to restart a media streaming site also

However for me personally I wish they would just buy more content creators. They could easily strip teams down and create a discord like system through that.

However for me personally I wish they would just buy more content creators. They could easily strip teams down and create a discord like system through that.
Nah, MS should invest in consumer facing systems too. Teams is too enterprise like and in comparison to other tech gians MS doesn't have any consumer facing system - Amazon has Twitch, Facebook has ... a lot.

Nah, MS should invest in consumer facing systems too. Teams is too enterprise like and in comparison to other tech gians MS doesn't have any consumer facing system - Amazon has Twitch, Facebook has ... a lot.

Yeah, they should buy something that is used every day, something like an Operating System...

Quick question. Eastmen - would this count as the other "big/ 10B range" acquisition you were mentioning previously? Is it going under the games division or cloud? (I'm sure people don't actually know, just looking for informed speculation.)
That 10B price tag is stunning to me. Nothing short of gobsmacking.

Its amazing how an electron app can be worth so much.

Its amazing how an electron app can be worth so much.
For me it is less that than "Discord" is worth $10B. I know it as nothing more than a nice voice/ text chat program. No idea how they even pay for it. Never paid much attention to them personally. Thus, the confusion.

For me it is less that than "Discord" is worth $10B. I know it as nothing more than a nice voice/ text chat program. No idea how they even pay for it. Never paid much attention to them personally. Thus, the confusion.
They have some sort of subscription service called Nitro that costs $10 a month and gives you free games (while you are sub'd I think, you don't keep them) and can give some type of "super like" to a server that boosts it's street cred somehow. All I know is I pay for it every month and every month I ask my kid if I can stop and he gives me some crap about maybe being interested in a game on there sorta. But honestly I think he gets some perks in the servers he's boosted both in terms of server perks and (more likely) social status for being someone who payed to help.

I can't imagine that enough people pay for Nitro for it to be profitable, but I can see Microsoft rolling those subs into Gamepass. If Nitro has 3 million subs, and they all just got ported to Gamepass, that's a 20% increase in Gamepass users overnight (assuming the 15 million GP subs number is still accurate). Is that worth $10B? Not sure, but I think a 20% growth rate per year is great in most industries. So maybe it is.

I thought Discord was shutting down its game store services? I think their draw card is in their community offerings mainly.

I thought Discord was shutting down its game store services? I think their draw card is in their community offerings mainly.
I guess I don't really know. All I know is I pay for it every month and my kid can't actually tell me why, but he really wants to have it. So I pay for it.

Quick question. Eastmen - would this count as the other "big/ 10B range" acquisition you were mentioning previously? Is it going under the games division or cloud? (I'm sure people don't actually know, just looking for informed speculation.)
That 10B price tag is stunning to me. Nothing short of gobsmacking.

This is a complete surprise to me .

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21298766/microsoft-teams-personal-launch-preview-accounts

I dunno , it works well there are a lot of great features in it. Obviously its still new so its not very popular on the personal side but that can change as people already using it for owkr can use it for personal life also.

It is insane to pay that much for it . People will just go to a new thing eventually . Unless the user data is that valuable it seems pointless. I could see tencent doing it though .

It is insane to pay that much for it . People will just go to a new thing eventually . Unless the user data is that valuable it seems pointless. I could see tencent doing it though .

It depends on how MS handles it. If they let Discord run pretty much the same as now but with some additional microsoft integration why would anyone leave ?

Actually if they leave it as is but use it to power cross platform Microsoft Network chat more people may adopt it making it even harder for it to be replaced. Its not as simple as snapping fingers suddenly being able to create a discord.

Back