New Edge browser has much better memory management than Chrome

I stopped using Opera in any degree when it was sold to China.

Vivaldi has come a long way and has a plethora of options to customize. The latest update finally brings the performance to where I want it.

Vivaldi has come a long way and has a plethora of options to customize. The latest update finally brings the performance to where I want it.
Vivaldi, yes, I also tried it a long time ago, since I am choosing a new browser in this dev update, there is nothing to lose, it it's better than Opera and supports HDR, perfect for me. Isn't Opera Finnish or Danish though?

Isn't Opera Finnish or Danish though?
It was sold in 2016 to a Chinese consortium. Want to know what Opera is doing as a company now? Look up loan shark offerings via Opera.

I downloaded Vivaldi. It has HDR support, a nice interface and it seems as fast as opera, also like how they tell you how many bytes you download from a site. That being said, the interface is not as nice as Opera GX, nor it has a built-in dark pages feature, and I dunno if it supports chrome extensions -not a super big deal, but still- but I haven't checked yet. My 2nd browser atm, if those features I mention can be added could become my main one.

It was sold in 2016 to a Chinese consortium. Want to know what Opera is doing as a company now? Look up loan shark offerings via Opera.
will do, out of curiosity

tried Vivaldi some more time, and it is fully chromium compatible, it even has the same dark pages setting. This is a very good feature. Still, dark pages mode is better on Opera GX than on Chrome, Edge and Vivaldi. Gotta test it a bit more, but still torn. I can live without Edge or Chrome though

tried Vivaldi some more time, and it is fully chromium compatible, it even has the same dark pages setting. This is a very good feature. Still, dark pages mode is better on Opera GX than on Chrome, Edge and Vivaldi. Gotta test it a bit more, but still torn. I can live without Edge or Chrome though
Keep trying out Vivaldi. There's a lot of in-depth functions you can customize and many default features to explore even just around the visible interface. Check out gestures as well, I have some custom gestures for opening new private windows and links into new tabs setup.

Yes, it supports Chrome extensions.
I am using it as my default browser now, with Opera GX second and Edge third. Pretty content with it for now. iirc, it is from the original creators of Opera, or so I remember reading when Vivaldi first came out. If it doesnt work that well, Opera GX has been doing perfectly fine for me, it's not for the lack of alternatives.

Last edited:
I am using it as my default browser now, with Opera GX second and Edge third. Pretty content with it for now. iirc, it is from the original creators of Opera, or so I remember reading when Vivaldi first came out. If it doesnt work that well, Opera GX has been doing perfectly fine for me, it's not for the lack of alternatives.
I had some performance issues that was getting frustrating the last few patches but with 3.7 that seems to be resolved now. Tabs and page load are considerably faster and inline with Chrome.

I had some performance issues that was getting frustrating the last few patches but with 3.7 that seems to be resolved now. Tabs and page load are considerably faster and inline with Chrome.
no major issues for now, however I noticed that playing video on either youtube or dailymotion is sloppy for whatever reason on Vivaldi, compared to Opera GX or Edge.

Dunno about the reason. My connection is far from perfect, just 20MB of internet radio, but it usually works very well on youtube and similar services, but not with Vivaldi, and it puzzles me. Also I miss the Force dark pages feature of Opera GX, but no other browser has that natively without recurring to "hacks" or extensions. Even if you do, the choices of color for forcing dark pages is much more beautiful looking and "accurate" in Opera GX.

no major issues for now, however I noticed that playing video on either youtube or dailymotion is sloppy for whatever reason on Vivaldi, compared to Opera GX or Edge.
I'm on YouTube daily and never have issues with sloppy video. I assume your hardware acceleration is turned on? Under Settings -> Web Pages you can also try turning off the Picture in Picture option for videos. I always have that off.

dunno with sloppy, but all chromium browser i have tried sometimes (i still cant pinpoint the cause) have performance degradation. But it is easiest to notice on youtube videos (dunno with other video streaming, i didn't use them) that looks stuttery and if you right click and show the stats, it got dropped frames.

never happen on Firefox.

The chromium browsers i use daily:
Chrome
Edge
Opera

because i multitask with lots of different work and its easier to me to group work A on Opera, work B on Edge, Work C on Chrome, entertainment on Firefox (because Dolby stereo to 5.1ch upmixing never work on chromium, dunno why)

dunno with sloppy, but all chromium browser i have tried sometimes (i still cant pinpoint the cause) have performance degradation. But it is easiest to notice on youtube videos (dunno with other video streaming, i didn't use them) that looks stuttery and if you right click and show the stats, it got dropped frames.

never happen on Firefox.

The chromium browsers i use daily:
Chrome
Edge
Opera

because i multitask with lots of different work and its easier to me to group work A on Opera, work B on Edge, Work C on Chrome, entertainment on Firefox (because Dolby stereo to 5.1ch upmixing never work on chromium, dunno why)

And here I thought it was just my system. For me, this only happens when I full screen the video though. I can work around this in YouTube by using theater mode and then maximizing the browser window (not true full screen since you can still see the browser, but it's close). However, some sites don't have that option, so there's no way to see it except in the default tiny video windows ... or downloading the video. Bleh.

I understand why MS went with Chromium, but I wish they would have stuck with their own engine.

Regards,
SB

And here I thought it was just my system. For me, this only happens when I full screen the video though. I can work around this in YouTube by using theater mode and then maximizing the browser window (not true full screen since you can still see the browser, but it's close). However, some sites don't have that option, so there's no way to see it except in the default tiny video windows ... or downloading the video. Bleh.

I understand why MS went with Chromium, but I wish they would have stuck with their own engine.

Regards,
SB

Yeah the original edge was very lightweight and problem free and feature packed with very nice annotation tools (it got a severe lack of extensions tho)

I'm on YouTube daily and never have issues with sloppy video. I assume your hardware acceleration is turned on? Under Settings -> Web Pages you can also try turning off the Picture in Picture option for videos. I always have that off.
in the end I am still using Opera GX 'cos of performance and a better dark pages feature. Might switch in the future, it wouldnt be the 1st time nor the latest

Last edited:

EdgeHTML wasn't competitive on any level with its contemporary browsers. Rolling your own HTML engine means living with weird inconsistencies which is why most modern browser engines are derivatives of WebKit or Chromium (itself a fork of Webkit, which was a fork from KHTML).

When IE6 was dominant, it implemented such a mental interpretation of rendering HTML that the HTML standard was almost meaningless. Chromium is a solid HTML rendering engine. In the world of HTML rendering engines there are three technical imperatives: 1) Security, 2) Performance, 3) Memory efficiency.

You generally get to pick two. Chrome tries to pick all three, hence why memory efficiency is a known issue. But if you want 1 and 2, you need to compromise on 3.

Tidbit for the latest MS Edge browser version:
Users can easily get to Internet Explorer mode on Microsoft Edge. Starting with Microsoft Edge version 92, users can reload a site in Internet Explorer mode on Microsoft Edge instead of relying on the standalone IE 11 application while waiting for a site to be configured in the Enterprise Mode Site List. Users will be prompted to add the site to their local site list such that navigating to the same page in Microsoft Edge will automatically render in IE mode for the next 30 days. You can use the InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed policy to configure this experience and allow access to the IE mode entry points as well as the ability to add sites to the local site list. You can use the InternetExplorerIntegrationLocalSiteListExpirationDays policy to adjust the number of days to keep sites on the local site list. Note that KB5003698 or later is required for Windows 10, version 1909; or KB5003690 or later is required for Windows 10, version 2004, Windows 10, version 20H2, or Windows 10, version 21H1 for the end-to-end experience. For more information, see Local site list in IE mode.
Microsoft Edge release notes for Stable Channel | Microsoft Docs

Back