Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

These are massive. Was the Hulk among the test group?

Would you have preferred form fitting gloves?
No. But assuming the person in the picture above is an average-sized human being, look at the space around the hands on all sides. You can easily get a second pair of hands in there. The primary aperture through which you put your hands to grip each controlled does need to be wide to accommodate above-sized hands but only in one plane (X), where it's wide in both (X and Y). It's almost like a large circle.

I see no light-emitting exits on those controllers (IR or otherwise). Pair that with the DualSense not having any front-facing light and it really seems like PSVR2 will be an inside-out solution.

Also:
Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

Another interesting thing is finger touch detection:
Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.
How would this be accomplished? Optical sensors turned inwards? Capacitive sensors on the surface of the grip zone?

You can easily get a second pair of hands in there.
Intimate multiplayer for PSVR2 confirmed.

Pic from the blog, for the lazy of clickthrough.

03_withnotice.jpg

Reactions: snc
Looks pretty good , glad they are more akin to touch than to move.

I think there is a lot of additional plastic on them then they need but whatever hopefully its more durable than touch 2

So, the big thing here will be the haptics. That'll be nice for VR. Other than that, looks like it doesn't have the same finger tracking fidelity of the Valve Index nor the experimental hands free controls that Oculus has.

The haptics though. VR more than any other gaming medium really needs some sort of significant physical feedback. Haptics will be a good start, but it's still not going to be enough, and I'm not sure there will ever be anything that'll be good enough. VR needs something more than just resistance to finger force, it needs something that's resistant to full arm motion.

Regards,
SB

So, the big thing here will be the haptics. That'll be nice for VR. Other than that, looks like it doesn't have the same finger tracking fidelity of the Valve Index nor the experimental hands free controls that Oculus has.

The haptics though. VR more than any other gaming medium really needs some sort of significant physical feedback. Haptics will be a good start, but it's still not going to be enough, and I'm not sure there will ever be anything that'll be good enough. VR needs something more than just resistance to finger force, it needs something that's resistant to full arm motion.

Regards,
SB
Haptics are secondary to fully hand tracking. Its nice to have but I rather have an index finger tracking set up. Its much more immersive in games vs the touch controllers

Looks pretty good , glad they are more akin to touch than to move.

I think there is a lot of additional plastic on them then they need but whatever hopefully its more durable than touch 2
That additional plastic, I wonder what is the purpose besides looks. It would have been great of sensors were hidden underneath to read the fingers

That additional plastic, I wonder what is the purpose besides looks. It would have been great of sensors were hidden underneath to read the fingers

Doesn't look like it would line up with the fingers. I wonder if they are like that because they need more points to track the controllers?

I wonder if having the plastic run between your thumb and index finger + going all the way around your wrist mean that there's a certain amount of scope to just let go of the grip. The wrist ring would essentially catch on most people's open hands.

They could have gone full strap in knuckles style. They didn't, despite having knuckles prototypes.

Or the design is just a nice way a well balanced and unobscured tracking ring. :)

The only thing that is missing from new PSVR controllers is full finger tracking and the ability to "let go" of the controller like on Index
valve-ofitsialno-prezentovala-svoyu-sobstvennuyu-vr-garnituru-nazvana-stoimost-i-data-reliza-1.gif

But it will do the basic job fine.

Back