Nvidia abandons deal to buy ARM *spawn*

So one thing I don't get about how ARM works, is why can't people make ARM clones that run the ISA the same way companies made IBM clones that ran x86 back in the day? I thought this was something that was kind of fought and won. Why can't a company just make a processor that runs the arm isa without paying them?

So one thing I don't get about how ARM works, is why can't people make ARM clones that run the ISA the same way companies made IBM clones that ran x86 back in the day? I thought this was something that was kind of fought and won. Why can't a company just make a processor that runs the arm isa without paying them?
They own the IP. Same reason why anyone can't just make an x86 CPU without Intel's permission.

Nvidia becoming the Intel of embedded, mobile, and moving upward computing, without even an AMD to keep them borderline honest or share monopoly spoils is a horrible proposition.

Apple becoming the Intel and the Microsoft and have a monopoly on online payments etc etc is far worse.

Apple is such a huge monstrosity of a looming monopoly that I just can't lie awake about this, NVIDIArm is not in direct competition with Apple but they do have a huge stake in keeping the Apple competition alive and they have a better chance at doing so than ARM under Softbank. Softbank made huge increases in R&D, but I don't think they could have sustained that ... they wanted to sell and whoever bought it needed some reason to keep committing such huge R&D budgets. NVIDIA has those reasons. Who else would have?

I
Apple becoming the Intel and the Microsoft and have a monopoly on online payments etc etc is far worse.

Why anyone would want a "middleman" on their payments is beyond me.
Apple and Google payments are something that I will never use.
Inside the danish border I use my "Dankort" (Dan-card).
Outside Denmark...I use my VISA...or my Mastercard.

Why would I inject a "middle-man" in those transactions?

I simply do not get it.

Online payments require authentication, keeping everything Apple is convenient.

I didn't even mention offline payments, but even there European banks seem to think Apple have a very good lock on their customers there too ... they pay huge fees to Apple for every NFC Apple pay transaction (not as huge as in the US, but still huge by European standards). Things are snowballing, Apple's market power is incomparable to Google's ... Google just can't keep up offering equal services in many areas, or when they can they make less money on it.

Last edited:
Online payments require authentication, keeping everything Apple is convenient.

I didn't even mention offline payments, but even there European banks seem to think Apple have a very good lock on their customers there too ... they pay huge fees to Apple for every NFC Apple pay transaction (not as huge as in the US, but still huge by European standards). Things are snowballing, Apple's market power is incomparable to Google's ... Google just can't keep up offering equal services in many areas, or when they can they make less money on it.

I use cards fine online (we have a citizen digital ID here "NemID" (Easy-ID) that has an app) and that works for my all my cards.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.e_nettet.mobilekey.everyone

Just as convinient...without a "middleman".

OT: that's a horrible user experience score for an application someone would trust for his transactions.

OT: that's a horrible user experience score for an application someone would trust for his transactions.

Doesn’t much matter, once you learn how horrible most back-end processing systems are anyways. Payment gateways that allow to differentiate DebitCard vs CreditCard do so through via a list of specific DebitCard Accounts provided to them from the card issuer. So even if you haven't used your debit card online, its already in databases just waiting to be breached.

It is a national digital ID...used by everyone.
It is used by everyone, meaning you also get the muppets that could not hit water if they fell out a boat./shrugs

- NemID

Why would I inject a "middle-man" in those transactions?
You mean, "another middleman", as in a second middleman, right? Because, cash. But generally, I agree. I also try to keep my transactions to as few parties involved as possible. :)

Reactions: HLJ
It is a national digital ID...used by everyone.
It is used by everyone, meaning you also get the muppets that could not hit water if they fell out a boat./shrugs

- NemID
And, as it seems from a quick glance, people who complain about a national danish system not being very useful if you don't even live in Denmark. *doh*

Reactions: HLJ
Oh, I was confusing it with the IBM compatible, where companies made their own version of BIOS.

Well AMD, Cyrix and NEC all did their own implementations of 386, with Intel engaging in lawsuits but failing to prevent them. So it is not really different to what happened with IBM PCs...

China can't afford to make too many enemies.

The bullshit they are pulling with Arm China is bad enough ... there's a chance that western industry starts thinking China is just way more trouble than its worth and puts its weight behind sanctions.

Back