Game Streaming Platforms and Technology (xCloud, PSNow, GeforceNow, Luna) (Rip: Stadia)

Geforce Now supports now Microsoft Edge (Chromium). I prefer the native app for Windows, which is x64 only.

Unfortunately no Doom, Rage, BioShock, Resident Evil etc. available. I played a ltitle bit Portal 2 and it looked good, no compression artifacts. Do they use VP9 on Edge?

Link GeForce NOW

Last edited:
Google wont be making first party cloud native games anymore.

"Creating best-in-class games from the ground up takes many years and significant investment, and the cost is going up exponentially. Given our focus on building on the proven technology of Stadia as well as deepening our business partnerships, we’ve decided that we will not be investing further in bringing exclusive content from our internal development team SG&E, beyond any near-term planned games. With the increased focus on using our technology platform for industry partners, Jade Raymond has decided to leave Google to pursue other opportunities. We greatly appreciate Jade's contribution to Stadia and wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors. Over the coming months, most of the SG&E team will be moving on to new roles. We’re committed to working with this talented team to find new roles and support them."

https://www.blog.google/products/st...ias-future-as-a-platform-and-winding-down-sge

GeForce NOW list of games for streaming is finally available - SlashGear
February 12, 2021
The viability of the game streaming business was again put on the hot seat last week when Google announced the closure of its in-house Stadia Games and Entertainment (SGE) studio. Amazon, who was undergoing a shift in leadership after Bezos announced his departure as CEO, took the opportunity to reiterate its commitment to the gaming market. Rather than make a big fuss, the other big player in that arena has chosen to work silently instead, quietly pushing out more supported titles and finally releasing a list of compatible games for GeForce NOW streaming.
Sure, NVIDIA launched a feature that lets its subscribers sync their Steam library to GeForce NOW to see which games can be streamed and which can’t. Steam, however, isn’t the only distribution platform there and Epic Games and Ubisoft don’t have a similar feature yet. While that’s coming, NVIDIA thankfully published a list of games at long last.

It’s a rather long list, mind, but it at least lets you see what’s on the menu without having to jump through hoops. Of course, you still need to actually own these games first but at least you can more easily check if the ones you own are even compatible.

One thing I've been really curious about. Stadia and Luna have had great success decreasing latency by using wifi to directly connect to their controllers. MS famously uses wifi as the local connection for their XB1/XSX controllers. What would be stopping MS from firmware updating XB1/XSX controllers to connect directly over the internet to xCloud like Stadia/Luna controllers do? The controllers are firmware upgradeable. The controllers have bluetooth builtin so users could upgrade firmware and manage connections through a mobile app. This would instantly be a huge install base compared to the competition.

Would MS have even had the forsight way back when (2013?) to have accounted for this possibility?

bit of news that could indicate the future of luna, or possibly nothing

The head of Amazon Luna has left the company and is now working at Unity
Head of Amazon's cloud gaming service, Luna, decamped this month for Unity. Marc was former CPO of Sonos and Xbox Follows obvious trouble at Google's Stadia this same month

I would love to find out what the subscriber numbers are for luna and stadia, they must be in the 10s of thousands, looks pretty terrible compared to game passes 18m (I know its not a direct compare, but thats the number that the bean counters will be comparing the internal figures to in all likelyhood). If it is the case that luna is being defocused by amazon because of poor take up it will be interesting to see the future of xcloud competitors from amazon and google. Imo stadia has no use to a 3rd party, due to requiring a linux port, whereas luna is more intriguing, as it uses windows based VMs

I think Luna has potential more than Stadia, because at least Amazon can attach Luna for example to game purchases in the marketplace akin - "try as demo" or something.

I think Luna has potential more than Stadia, because at least Amazon can attach Luna for example to game purchases in the marketplace akin - "try as demo" or something.

Wasn't Google Stadia supposed to have that tie-in from YouTube videos and live streams?

I would love to find out what the subscriber numbers are for luna and stadia, they must be in the 10s of thousands, looks pretty terrible compared to game passes 18m (I know its not a direct compare, but thats the number that the bean counters will be comparing the internal figures to in all likelyhood). If it is the case that luna is being defocused by amazon because of poor take up it will be interesting to see the future of xcloud competitors from amazon and google. Imo stadia has no use to a 3rd party, due to requiring a linux port, whereas luna is more intriguing, as it uses windows based VMs

I wouldn't totally count out Stadia as it's model could very well be the one to prevail in the end. Using Windows based VMs might be attractive at first for publishers for doing quick ports but this means that publishers will have to licensing fees to Microsoft and it will also mean that they'll have no control over the platform that they're using to provide the services as well. If service providers have bad relationships with Microsoft then it might very well be in their interest to build their own platform since this will offer a politically favourable outcome for them.

Even if Stadia doesn't survive in the future, the concept of developing your own platform and using it to provide services has the potential to succeed among publishers ...

Wasn't Google Stadia supposed to have that tie-in from YouTube videos and live streams?
Probably, but well that's Google. They closed even their Youtube originals or something.

Amazon has Twitch and Marketplace. With a decent implementation it might be a huge thing.

Edge Chromium seems finally to come on Xbox One (or Series X/S only?): a backdoor for Geforce Now (Stadia?) on Xbox? :mrgreen:

I guess what Microsoft or any other closed platform vendors can do is 'whitelist' sites that will have HW accelerated video decoding enabled so it'll effectively prevent users from even using backdoors like VPNs to access other cloud gaming services but the downside is that it'll be annoying to use Edge or other browsers for streaming videos ...

Would it be rather ironic if they blocked game streaming services on the Xbox browser given the xcloud on iOS situation?

The only one of these streaming services I've tried was Onlive. Way back one day with my EeePC sitting at a restaurant I saw they had a free trial so I played some FEAR 2 for a bit.

And I noticed Nvidia turned their Shields into streamers via GeForce Now instead of continuing to try to make Android gaming happen.

Are any of these services super popular?

And I noticed Nvidia turned their Shields into streamers via GeForce Now instead of continuing to try to make Android gaming happen.

XCloud probably has the most time played.

Depends on which region and what you'd consider super popular.

In Asia (especially SEA) it's possible that cloud gaming on mobile devices might be more popular than either the PS5 or the XBS consoles. But then the PS5 and XBS consoles are at the bottom in terms of gaming devices in most SEA countries (Phones, NSW and PC are all more popular gaming devices in most countries in that region).

Regards,
SB

Back