Mining vs Gaming Products or something *spawn*

I wholeheartedly disagree. If there aren't enoungh of these mining products (or if they're priced wrongly) miners will hapilly continue to buy 3090 & 3080 & 3070s lilke they have up till now
We don't know what's "enough". The idea is most likely to make miners lives harder on gaming lineups and I'd be surprised if they don't have a plan which would span several years already. This alone means that anything based on Turing is just a first stage. I doubt that it's a mistake that they have a gap in HX lineup between 50 and 90 for example.

Well you said "they don't need a lot of them" . Now " we don't know what's enoungh" .. So which one is it?
Which one is what? You don't know what's enough thus you can't tell how many they need.
Also I didn't say "they don't need a lot of them". Do quote what I've said in full.

Well you said "they don't need a lot of them" . Now " we don't know what's enoungh" .. So which one is it?

If we had a guess on yields we could make some kind of guess on how many crypto cards nvidia can make without affecting gaming gpu supply. If yield for example was random number, 80% there potentially would be 20% additional supply without affecting gaming cards. That 20% would also be pure profit as those chips otherwise would go to garbage bin. Who knows what kind of yield nvidia has in samsung process. The crypto chips mainly really are memory hungry so pretty horribly broken chips with low clock speeds can still be used. For example there is no display out at all or tensor core or ray tracing used in crypto cards. ETH doesn't benefit from cache either so the sram inside chip could also be fairly broken and still work fine for mining. One could assume initial yields are worse as it's new chip on new process. Yields probably are better now than 6 months ago.

Which one is what? You don't know what's enough thus you can't tell how many they need.
Also I didn't say "they don't need a lot of them". Do quote what I've said in full.

I replied to your intuitive estimation that not many mining-only GPUs would be needed initially.
I don't think I misqoted-you, no. I had the context in mind, and was addressing the shortish term future, after which other mining GPUs or new gaming GPus with mining limitations might follow (as per @manux post, which would indeed make nvidia's strategy make sense to me).
For now the competition is between those mining GPUs and the existing 30x0 series. So I've just said that no, I think that quite large quantities of mining-only gpus are needed for nvidia to address this competition.
Then you replied that we can't know how many are needed actually, right?

Thus my reply : you can't hold two conflicting positions at once in a discussion : not many gpus are needed AND we actually don't know how many are needed

RTX 3060 hashrates for altcoins
adasdupk8s.png

I read about this fascinating story from China: someone bought a mining ASIC machine (or machines?) with ~400k CNY (~US$61k). It works well at first, with heat and fans running, and actual mining profits. After a few weeks it suddenly stopped working. No mining profit at all. The buyer opened one of the machine, and find only bricks, fans, and some heating resistors. Basically a fake machine. But where did the mining profits come from? There's a small computer inside the machine, which relays the mining commands (which mining pool to use, which address to send the profits, etc.) to a remote server, where the actual mining rigs are. The seller (or more accurately, scammer) stopped the access to the remote mining rigs after a few weeks to make sure the buyer can't track back to the scammer.

My W5700 has finally arrived. Flashed the tweaked bios i found from igorslab. At default it was doing 49.XX MH/s at 145W. After bios flashing, it's 55.XX MH/s at 92W. Temps are not too shabby, Core temp is 50C, and Tj Memory is only 80C at 1750RPM fan speed. It's ridiculously efficient that my RTX 2060 is doing 32.XX MH/s at 95W.
I had to pull a bit mcgyver but managed to fit it in the case with some zipties. Doing 187MH/s currently, UPS's been reporting ~600W but speaker, screen, router et al is included.

img_20210303_213600-kgvk3l.jpg

img_20210303_2136376pk3b.jpg

img_20210303_213621rnkvt.jpg

Looks good ! what riser did you use ?

I went to microcenter to buy my wife a new card. Was online for 30 minutes and I was 17th in line. The only cards they got in were a 6900 which was 2k retail and a 6800 non xt and that was 950. So i decided not to buy lool.

Looks good ! what riser did you use ?

I went to microcenter to buy my wife a new card. Was online for 30 minutes and I was 17th in line. The only cards they got in were a 6900 which was 2k retail and a 6800 non xt and that was 950. So i decided not to buy lool.
The riser is called PE501 V1.1, which has 6pin and molex connectors. It came with black USB 3 cable and the 1x to usb converter wasn't 90d dangled one like the image but it's straight. The 12V to 3.3V step down converter on the riser is 85% efficient and can handle up to 3A which is sufficient for this type of load. I used 6pin connector to power up directly from the PSU.
Screenshot_20210304-082704__01.jpg

6900XT is really the worst for mining, it's as expensive as 3090 in retail and performs like 3060Ti, yikes.

Last edited:
6900XT is really the worst for mining, it's as expensive as 3090 in retail and performs like 3060Ti, yikes.
Yeah, if you buy it for mining purposes only. If you mine as a pastime for your gaming card, you can get 6000 series near 5700 levels of efficiency. Too bad, that Infinity Cache only gets you so far due to ASIC resistant random memory accesses. But with a 6800, you can basically get a striclty two-slot card with great gaming perf, 62-ish MH/s and living-room-bearable noise levels during mining.

Yeah, if you buy it for mining purposes only. If you mine as a pastime for your gaming card, you can get 6000 series near 5700 levels of efficiency. Too bad, that Infinity Cache only gets you so far due to ASIC resistant random memory accesses. But with a 6800, you can basically get a striclty two-slot card with great gaming perf, 62-ish MH/s and living-room-bearable noise levels during mining.
yea people think the 6700xt will be in the high 40s . That is what my vega does . But i am sure that the 6700 will do it using less power , makes less heat and of course less noise than my vega. Also when my wife games she would have a new video card vs a 4 year old card.

I am still trying for a 3060ti as for her i think its the best bang for the buck

Very nice , I've been wanting to grab my wife a 3060/ti or a 6700 but they are impossible to find. Right now since I started mining in early feb/ late jan I have made $600 and spent around $40

So I finally moved to a dedicated rig and HiveOS, only left the RTX 2060 in the PC. It's so much simpler and stable on HiveOS. No need to have screen keyboard and mouse, you can control remotely by phone or any browser. Although open frame have slight improvement on temps, noise levels decreased drastically.

previously in PC
img_20210731_1239383dj8s.jpg

open mining frame
img_20210817_102819hyj7d.jpg

img_20210817_104941qek9p.jpg

img_20210817_102858mbkpt.jpg

img_20210817_1050566tkip.jpg

ekranalnts1xkkk.png

+30MH/s in PC, ~315MH/s total, power readings are wrong 730W from wall.

Back