Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent video.

Was waiting for the PS5 comparison to the 2060S. It sounds like the 4k mode is the closest match (LOD distances, etc.) to PC. Is it fair to elaborate the PS5 pushing ~2x resolution of the 2060S? I would have thought it was unlikely, but the video only shows the 2060S at 1440p... so not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent video.

Was waiting for the PS5 comparison to the 2060S. It sounds like the 4k mode is the closest match (LOD distances, etc.) to PC. Is it fair to elaborate the PS5 pushing ~2x resolution the 2060S? I would have thought it was unlikely, but the video only shows the 2060S at 1440p... so not sure.
never had the chance to play this one? But it looks more like a Ninja Gaiden and Less like a Dark Souls?
It's odd how Digital Foundry markets games better than traditional marketing techniques.

never had the chance to play this one? But it looks more like a Ninja Gaiden and Less like a Dark Souls?
It's odd how Digital Foundry markets games better than traditional marketing techniques.

Me neither. I hardly play games at all anymore, so when I do I always set them to "easy". I only ever get 30-60mins once a week to actually play. I used to be a hardcore gamer, but I've been replaced by two hardcore gamers.

...so yeah, any of the games deemed "hard" I avoid (though I enjoyed Bloodborne a few years back). Best games for me are short or multiplayer.

Me neither. I hardly play games at all anymore, so when I do I always set them to "easy". I only ever get 30-60mins once a week to actually play. I used to be a hardcore gamer, but I've been replaced by two hardcore gamers.

...so yeah, any of the games deemed "hard" I avoid (though I enjoyed Bloodborne a few years back). Best games for me are short or multiplayer.
yea I feel you on this one lol.

You really have to pick and choose, or you choose the ones that are going that have little time investment.
The F2P battle royale games really took off for this reason I think, each round is like a different adventure really.

With medium wrapped up, I am ready to take on some God of War now

You really have to pick and choose, or you choose the ones that are going that have little time investment.
The F2P battle royale games really took off for this reason I think, each round is like a different adventure really.

gow its quite long (over 30h)

Excellent video.

Was waiting for the PS5 comparison to the 2060S. It sounds like the 4k mode is the closest match (LOD distances, etc.) to PC. Is it fair to elaborate the PS5 pushing ~2x resolution of the 2060S? I would have thought it was unlikely, but the video only shows the 2060S at 1440p... so not sure.
Depending of the game we have seen PS5 trading blows with 2060s, 2070, 2080 or even 2080 Super. Maybe it's equivalent to 2080 S with this game? But without direct comparisons it's really hard to say.

Have fun! Getting the platinum was very fun (and not that time consuming).

gow its quite long (over 30h)
ooo that's actually fairly long, though shorter than Demon Souls likely.
Right now I get to choose between PoE 2: DeadFire, Disco Elysium, or GoW. The first 2 are pretty long lol. 60+ hr investments. I want to get through some of the Sony classics before I take on the juggernauts.

Have fun! Getting the platinum was very fun (and not that time consuming).
Thanks! I will enjoy it I'm sure!

ooo that's actually fairly long, though shorter than Demon Souls likely.
Right now I get to choose between PoE 2: DeadFire, Disco Elysium, or GoW. The first 2 are pretty long lol. 60+ hr investments. I want to get through some of the Sony classics before I take on the juggernauts.

Thanks! I will enjoy it I'm sure!
maybe try miles morales if you like shorter games, about 8h of story with some side missions, 15h for clearing map ;)

Excellent video.

Yeah for a "VS" video I was expecting a little more discussion on how PS5 and the PC versions compare, especially with respect to the performance needed to get to the PS5's resolution. There's discussion of the PC's lower LOD (!) and comparative shadows, but not much beyond that. What res is the PS5 running at in comparable scenes to the PC, is the aniso settings comparable, what's the core load distribution on PC, etc.

As always 'depends on your PC', but I think for 120fps the PC version definitely has the edge as the shadows and LOD in the PS5 version in that mode is pretty brutal (plus the PC has VRR), but for the Quality mode on the PS5 it seems based on this video you would need a 2080 to equal 60fps at roughly the same res, but still not get the higher LOD.

What's interesting about DLSS coming to the PC is that I don't think Nioh2 uses TAA (? - at least judging from the clips, there's quite a bit of pixel shimmering in some scenes). So I wonder if they'll add TAA in a patch for all versions as that's required for DLSS.

Ultimately I'd be surprised if they don't patch in the higher LOD setting to the PC version, they were pretty quick to release a patch that fixed the massive slowdown with high effects at least, without that patch this would been a far worse showing for the PC based on the discussion I saw at it's release.

That is hardly a "win", when the devs doing the ports are lazy and omitting settings that normal PC games have had for years as a standard....lazy port is lazy port.
Only results matter. If those settings are unavailable, and the experience is "better" one platform A than platform B, then it's a "win" for platform A.

That is hardly a "win", when the devs doing the ports are lazy and omitting settings that normal PC games have had for years as a standard....lazy port is lazy port.
at least their engine is proper coded with good performance on both platforms

:rolleyes:

It's a 'win' for a platform that has the best version of the game. Any supposed developer incompetence is irrelevant if the end user can't fix it themselves. If the PC version is patched to provide this then we'lll see.

NIOH 2 is NOT optimized for NVIDIA GPUs, at 4K the 6900XT is 20% faster than 3090, Vega 64 is as fast as 1080Ti, the 5700XT is as fast as the 3070. Comparing PS5 to NVIDIA GPUs is not really valid, a better point would be comparing against AMD lineup.

https://gamegpu.com/rpg/ролевые/nioh-2-the-complete-edition-test-gpu-cpu
Why do you mean not optimized? Game seems pretty well optimized. Some games tend to do better on AMD hardware, some on Nvidia. Well, up until now, most on Nvidia but one GPU having lead doesnt make it non optimized for other.

NIOH 2 is NOT optimized for NVIDIA GPUs, at 4K the 6900XT is 20% faster than 3090, Vega 64 is as fast as 1080Ti, the 5700XT is as fast as the 3070. Comparing PS5 to NVIDIA GPUs is not really valid, a better point would be comparing against AMD lineup.

Just curious but do you think it's AMD drivers converting the front end to primitive shaders is giving the lead? Or do you think it's compute shaders optimized for AMD?

Because I feel like this is a random factor that is relevant enough to almost have to always factor in. The performance of those primitive shaders differential is really about how much the developers decided to do geometry processing with compute shaders or not.

Not optimized meaning no official driver support (WHQL) for NIOH 2.
not sure how big of a difference that will make. I feel like this exact positions have been found in some other titles as well. I think the investigation needs to look elsewhere.

This is from Feb 4, pre-patch note. Regardless it doesn't become 'invalid' to compare against one GPU when another vendor happens to do better with a particular game, especially when that GPU manufacturer is the one that the majority of PC gamers actually own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back