GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do the same on Spiderman Miles Morales. This is like lens flare, chromatic aberration (yikes). They oversuse it but it will be more reasonnable with time.

I really wonder if this is because the more subtle effects people often claim they don't notice. Maybe devs feel like they have to add something that Pops. Like in cp2077 case the correct shadows grounding graphics and making it look more believable is great to me. Some folks might say they don't even notice it or don't care and want more resolution/textures. Well, at least that is my subjective impression. Link is timestamped to one location that shows this more subtle usage of ray tracing.

The Medium:

RT Ultra @1440p Single Reality:
3090 is 77% faster than 6900XT
3080 is 57% faster than 6900XT
3070/2080Ti is 25% faster than 6900XT

RT Ultra @1440p Dual Reality:
3090 is 48% faster than 6900XT
3080 is 38% faster than 6900XT
3070/2080Ti is 9% faster than 6900XT

MetaHuman Character Demo Ray Tracing

Video consists of a raw Pre-Rendered Demo footage and captured Viewport Real-Time Rendering. I used the official MetaHuman sample project with an additional single directional light, ray-tracing with 3 samples per pixel and shadow source angle set to 5. All done in Unreal Engine 4.26.1 without colour correction.

Workstation Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X & NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB

This upgrade is so extensive, it will require a Ray Tracing capable GPU as the minimum spec, and we will need to deliver this version as a separate product – it is not a simple ‘patch’ to the base game – instead it will be offered as an extra entitlement to all existing Metro Exodus PC players.
NextGen-PCEnhanced-Asset_4AV3.png

Last edited:
Seriously cool stuff. I'm happy I haven't played metro exodus yet. Perhaps this is the version that compels me to buy and play it.

edit. Bought Metro Franchise Bundle from steam sales. Love to support developers who keep supporting their titles. Not same as buying this as new, but it's still better than me not buying those games at all. I'm not sure if I will like this game, but I'll give it a chance once the enhanced edition comes out.

Last edited:
Sure, until you move the camera or the lights or anything else in the scene.

It doesn't need to be tied into camera. It's not a screenspace solution. Lightning or scene changing is another thing. On the other hand something like sun moving slowly should be fine as you would discard too old samples.

It doesn't need to be tied into camera. It's not a screenspace solution. Lightning or scene changing is another thing. On the other hand something like sun moving slowly should be fine as you would discard too old samples.

Caching sun bounces only works if the scene is static. When your character or other occluders move through the scene they will invalidate any cached radiance data.

Whatever they’re doing it’s not “infinite” bounces.

Caching sun bounces only works if the scene is static. When your character or other occluders move through the scene they will invalidate any cached radiance data.

It's realtime graphics, it's bound to be an approximation. If they get something like 90fps on high end rig with dlss enabled they get to accumulate 90 samples per second. Should be pretty good for anything but the fastest moving objects. They could also have some smarts to distribute ray budget so that static things get less rays and faster moving things get more rays. I think there is ton of ways to try to get good approximation going on now that they are fully invested in ray tracing. Especially so if the alternative is static environment+baking+artists suffering during production to do hand placement and hand tuning.

For the Nth bounce lag is much less noticeable then for the first, so if you can do one bounce per frame for the entire scene, it works well even if the scene has large dynamic elements.
Any method which caches in worldspace is fine to claim support for 'infinite bounces'. Technically there is not much to argue about it.
To me the term 'realtime GI' is much more controversial, because it often means support for dynamic update, but with a noticeable lag of about a second. Can handle doors that open slowly, like that on the ceiling in UE5 demo.
If this door would close / open in an instant, the lag becomes noticeable and we want a faster method with less lag. But how should we call this method then?
That's why i think we need to shift from FPS to lag, to indicate performance for some things.

It's going to be fun dissecting artifacts. DLSS/TAA, noise removal etc. will all contribute in some way. But I think we are at seeing something completely new. Will be interesting to follow what problems emerge and how they are solved/mitigated. I suspect smart distribution of ray budget is the biggest low hanging fruit. Second one but probably more challenging is finding good ways to cache and used cached results. Another one is getting very high framerate or perhaps even decoupling rendering rate of certain things. Neural networks doing some processing of outputs/help caching is emerging interesting approach but quite unknown at the moment.

What I believe will be most difficult is that there really isn't going to be native resolution at all anymore. Perhaps not even native framerate. That will be difficult to process for many people who want pure 4k/8k and are not sympathetic towards approaches that are not native but likely still produce better compromise. We already see this with dlss/taa to some extent. It's only going to get worse for those who want native resolution.

Last edited:
This Metro edition will be really interesting. They're promising a lot. I'm mainly going to be interested in performance at 1080p and 1440p to see where the bottlenecks are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back