Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It's pretty hard to re-invent the wheel with a racing game... Better graphics and new circuits is most of the time the next version... (well, problem is right now Nintendo can't do better graphics since Wii u...)
Again, exactly my point. They are unashamedly remasters bringing nothing new. This is not what I want from PlayStation developers. What brand new cool games could Nintendo's teams have made had they not been cranking out endless remasters?

Look forwards, not back.

They tried Pikmin, Luigi mansion, the latest Starfox tried something new.... I'm not opposed to MK on each console. Fun is fun. Now, miyamoto said years ago that no new F zero was in the work because they don't see how to make something new with it. So they're aware... But on a console without a lot of games, I would take MK9 instead of nothing...

/Sorry for the OT.

I can't help feel you're still blindly focussed on numbers of entires in a franchise. I am not. :nope:

The reason I used Mario Kart as an example is because it's evolved very little in 30+ years. Unlike Super Mario as a platformer, which has. Plenty of franchises rack up number entires - the number of outings in the Halo overshadows Mario Kart but the FPS games evolved with new mechanics and the franchise included RTS entires as well. Gears of War has had five third-person cover-shooter outings and one turn-based strategy outing. Most franchises are constantly iterating and evolving.

Mario Kart has not. The fact Nintendo don't do this with every franchise does not detract that Mario Kart is a cheap remaster money-grab. :nope: And this is not what I want Naughty Dog to become.
I would argue that Mario Kart has evolved a fair amount from entry to entry, with the inclusion of motion controls, flight, underwater sections, and new minigames/battle modes. At least as much as Gran Turismo has evolved. Which is why I compared them to begin with. And, yeah, I did focus on the numbers because it's important to take into account the pace of releases in this context. One of the criticisms I received is that you can't compare GT to MK because they are different types of racing games, but really I wasn't. I was comparing the number of releases, taking into account gameplay changes per release, and the pace of releases. Not the actual games themselves.

It's not that I don't disagree on a fundamental level that all Mario Kart games are basically the same. Really my argument is that all Gran Turismo games are basically the same as well. This is a Playstation thread, so I never brought up Gears or Halo, but the same argument could be applied to those games also. Yeah, there are RTS/Tactics spin off titles in those series, but Mario Kart is a racing spin off of the Mario franchise, so I wouldn't include those games in any comparisons without including Mario Paint, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario RPG, ect.

The point is that every company makes the same games over and over. I find it strange that Nintendo gets criticism for it when all companies do it, and often at a pace that exceeds Nintendo. Video games are one of the most franchise / sequel driven industries. The only thing that really competes with it in this regard is probably the romance novel industry.

Everyones guilty of this IMO..... be it sony, ms or nintendo. Sony tries different things atleast (destruction allstars and some others), but for the most its all remasters/remakes, or follow ups like HZ, god of war, GT, uncharted, sackboy, spiderman.... ratched and clank.
Im fine with that allthough 3rd person adventure/action games are a making up a very large portion of the collection. Its in this day and age not easy to reinvent or create new IP's. Same for MS with halo, gears and nintendo with mario etc etc.

Sony probably tries the most, last year (or the year before?) we had Predator which i thought was a nice idea. They really need to invest into the MP space i think, i mean, invest more into it.

Everyones guilty of this IMO..... be it sony, ms or nintendo. Sony tries different things atleast (destruction allstars and some others), but for the most its all remasters/remakes, or follow ups like HZ, god of war, GT, uncharted, sackboy, spiderman.... ratched and clank.
Im fine with that allthough 3rd person adventure/action games are a making up a very large portion of the collection. Its in this day and age not easy to reinvent or create new IP's. Same for MS with halo, gears and nintendo with mario etc etc.

Sony probably tries the most, last year (or the year before?) we had Predator which i thought was a nice idea. They really need to invest into the MP space i think, i mean, invest more into it.

I'd be happy if Sony would invest in more genres for their 1st party such as a nice new fps, jrpg, wrpg. When I say fps, not necessary to be a shooter.

Mp feels oversaturated across every platform imo but who knows. Sony might be able to make a new trendy game.

Some new ip in ps4 era: Days Gone, Horizon, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Driveclub, Bloodborne, Astrobot, Until Dawn, The Order, Detroit, Judgment. Briliant list to be honest, what will brings this generation we will see but many want sequels of at least some of title in this list and is good that some we will get.

Some new ip in ps4 era: Days Gone, Horizon, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Driveclub, Bloodborne, Astrobot, Until Dawn, The Order, Detroit, Judgment. Briliant list to be honest, what will brings this generation we will see but many want sequels of at least some of title in this list and is good that some we will get.
I wouldn't consider Spier-man a new ip considering it's a licensed game from an existing ip. Death Stranding isn't a Sony IP is it? I thought Kojima had the rights to it. Driveclub also. Doesn't Evolution or Codemasters own that? I think Sony owns Until Dawn, and it's cool. Sort of fits into that "They kept making games in the series" mold though, with 3 releases on PS4 I think. Detroit is owned by Quantic I'm fairly sure. I'm pretty sure Quantic owns the ip for all their games, which is why they (and not Sony) published them on PC. Judegment is neither a new ip (It's part of Yakuza), nor owned or published by Sony (it's Sega), nor exclusive anymore (it's on Xbox Series and Stadia).

well, nintendo just released an AR Mario Kart.
Oh, snap. Forgot about that. There really are 10 Mario Karts (if you count 8 twice). Although, I would imagine an AR game with real world karts probably is enough innovation to exclude it from the criticism of being too samey to the rest of the series, right?

I wouldn't consider Spier-man a new ip considering it's a licensed game from an existing ip. Death Stranding isn't a Sony IP is it? I thought Kojima had the rights to it. Driveclub also. Doesn't Evolution or Codemasters own that? I think Sony owns Until Dawn, and it's cool. Sort of fits into that "They kept making games in the series" mold though, with 3 releases on PS4 I think. Detroit is owned by Quantic I'm fairly sure. I'm pretty sure Quantic owns the ip for all their games, which is why they (and not Sony) published them on PC. Judegment is neither a new ip (It's part of Yakuza), nor owned or published by Sony (it's Sega), nor exclusive anymore (it's on Xbox Series and Stadia).
Judgment is not part of Yakuza even tough its location is Kamurocho is separate title with no story connection. Evolution was bought by Codemasters but was ealier Sony studio and think Driveclub is still Sony ip (but don't know what would change if they sell also Driveclub ip ?) Yes Detroit and Death Str. are not sony ip but were playstation exes thats why I put it on list (also because I like these games).

Judgment is not part of Yakuza even tough its location is Kamurocho is separate title with no story connection.
So we can disagree about Judgment's inclusion in the Yakuza series but still agree that it isn't a Sony IP, or even an exclusive. I would argue that there are universe connections based on shared lore, locations, and factions, but I can see the argument that it's separate enough. But still, not a Sony game, just a timed exclusive from a 3rd party.

You are right about Evolution, though. My memory on them was pretty foggy. They were a Sony studio, so Driveclub must be a 1st party ip. I don't think any of the IP transferred to Codemasters after doing a bit of research, I think just team members were let go at Sony and ended up reforming at Codemasters so no IP was transferred.

So we can disagree about Judgment's inclusion in the Yakuza series but still agree that it isn't a Sony IP, or even an exclusive. I would argue that there are universe connections based on shared lore, locations, and factions, but I can see the argument that it's separate enough. But still, not a Sony game, just a timed exclusive from a 3rd party.

You are right about Evolution, though. My memory on them was pretty foggy. They were a Sony studio, so Driveclub must be a 1st party ip. I don't think any of the IP transferred to Codemasters after doing a bit of research, I think just team members were let go at Sony and ended up reforming at Codemasters so no IP was transferred.
yes, still this generation we got many new brilliant ips from first and 3rd party studios and some people says that only sequels of old ips are in development as it wasn't at least true for ps4 generation

The Last Guardian, Knack, Resogun, not a new IP but they totally reinvented God of War on PS4 and of course brought VR to the great unwashed and the many new IPs that brought with it! And least we forget other things like the attempt to bring us a touch pad and that complete failure of a button called share!

SMH @ unimaginative Sony.

Speaking of Sony and them hopefully expanding on their creative output, I hope they return to some of the AA focus they had during the PS3 and Vita era. I think that was Sony at their peak in terms of creative variety, even if some of their arguably highest-rated 1P games have come out during the PS4 era and some of my personal 1P favorites (UmJammer Lammy, the Tomba games which I think were 1P) came during the PS1 era.

Speaking of which, why have they not made a sequel to UmJammer Lammy? It's definitely the best Parappa game in the series, I'd of love to get an actual sequel to it. And Tomba 3, where is it? I'm playing the first game right now and even with a couple of BS areas (Lava Caves can go kick rocks) it's still really fun and charming, same goes for the quite bigger sequel. A third game as some smaller-budgeted AA effort maybe done with the team that handled the Crash & Spyro remakes, that would be awesome.

Tomba and Klonoa are probably my favorite platformers on PS1 and it's kinda sad they don't get the love of Crash, Spyro etc.

well, nintendo just released an AR Mario Kart.

Really love that Nintendo does things like that and, IMO, there's more a future for AR than VR in terms of what they can do for the industry, though a healthy balance of both would be best.

The only other AR-infused racing game I can think of is from a super-old Sega arcade game back in the late '80s or early '90s. Something where you'd sit in a cabinet and have an assigned RC car with a camera built into it, and you'd race around the track with the feed from the camera displayed on the cabinet monitor, controlling the RC car with cabinet-style racing controls. Super ahead of its time, I'm glad Nintendo took at look at the concept and streamlined it further with the AR Mario Kart game.

Hopefully it's not the last AR-focused thing they do on the platform.

Speaking of Sony and them hopefully expanding on their creative output, I hope they return to some of the AA focus they had during the PS3 and Vita era. I think that was Sony at their peak in terms of creative variety, even if some of their arguably highest-rated 1P games have come out during the PS4 era and some of my personal 1P favorites (UmJammer Lammy, the Tomba games which I think were 1P) came during the PS1 era.

Speaking of which, why have they not made a sequel to UmJammer Lammy? It's definitely the best Parappa game in the series, I'd of love to get an actual sequel to it. And Tomba 3, where is it? I'm playing the first game right now and even with a couple of BS areas (Lava Caves can go kick rocks) it's still really fun and charming, same goes for the quite bigger sequel. A third game as some smaller-budgeted AA effort maybe done with the team that handled the Crash & Spyro remakes, that would be awesome.

Tomba and Klonoa are probably my favorite platformers on PS1 and it's kinda sad they don't get the love of Crash, Spyro etc.
Other notable references: Legend of the Dragoon, Omega Boost (I d LOVE a proper next gen sequel), Arc the Lad, Xtreme, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, Motor Toon, Colony Wars, G-Police, Vib Ribbon, Medievil, Syphon Filter, The Getaway, Primal, Siren, Ghosthunter, Mark of Kri.....there are so many games that came from Sony's owned studios, that were abandoned

Yes Klonoa was amazing. The gameplay is very refreshing and super fun. I wish we saw more of that franchise. But it was produced by Namco I think.

The only other AR-infused racing game I can think of is from a super-old Sega arcade game back in the late '80s or early '90s. Something where you'd sit in a cabinet and have an assigned RC car with a camera built into it, and you'd race around the track with the feed from the camera displayed on the cabinet monitor, controlling the RC car with cabinet-style racing controls. Super ahead of its time, I'm glad Nintendo took at look at the concept and streamlined it further with the AR Mario Kart game.

Hopefully it's not the last AR-focused thing they do on the platform.
I want to check that out. Does anyone remember the name?

Back