Control [XO, PS4]

I think the major problem here is not that they're charging extra for the upgrade. It's that everyone else isn't.
Is it possible to upgrade a standard edition to the ultimate, or do people with the original game need to pay for the whole thing again?

Regardless, control will still be playable on the PS5 and Series X and probably with better framerates and/or resolution (if it's using dynamic resolution).. what they're holding off is on the upgrade that probably brings ray tracing to the new consoles.

Is it possible to upgrade a standard edition to the ultimate, or do people with the original game need to pay for the whole thing again?

No information about next-gen upgrade purchase. Have to rebuy entire game for $40 (as the Ultimate Collection) to get the enhanced next-gen version. No details on what they will sell the next-gen only versions for.

Also, I would absolutely hope it gets higher frameworks on next-gen as some parts of the game dip into the 10s of framerate based on reports. Still having spots of 10s fps on next-gen would be disaster.

The real d*** move is that even people who have the game and both expansions will still have to (re)buy the Ultimate Edition to get the next gen upgrade. If you just have the base game, then $40 is only $10 more than buying both expansions, so not unreasonable.

Maybe Black Friday brings a price drop. That’s not long after the earliest we’ll see the next gen consoles (that Nov. 6th XSX controller embargo sticker).

Did Sony or MS prohibit charging money for a next-gen upgrade of an existing game?

Microsoft heavily discourages it, but it’s allowed, NBA is doing it. Frankly I would say it’s more than Sony is demanding that they do it this way in order to provide the free PS five upgrade

Still sounds like bullshit for the people who already bought the game. Hopefully sales tank for them.

Last week, alongside information about the upcoming AWE expansion for Control, we also released information about Control Ultimate Edition – a Control package featuring The Foundation and AWE expansions, coming to current and next gen consoles, as well as PC.

We spent several months exploring all of our launch options for Control Ultimate Edition and no decision was taken lightly. While it is challenging bringing any game to next gen platforms, we quickly realised it was even more difficult to upgrade our current user base to next gen with full parity across platforms with our year-old game.

Every avenue we pursued, there was some form of blocker and those blockers meant that at least one group of players ended up being left out of the upgrade for various reasons. As of today, we can’t offer an upgrade to everyone, and leaving any one group out feels unfair. We understand that is not what you want to hear.

Understandably, there are still some questions about what this means for those that already own Control on current gen consoles and we hope to clear this up.

Will I be able to purchase the Control base game on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, without the additional content?
No. The only version of Control available on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X will be Control Ultimate Edition.

However, if you have the Control base game, the Expansion Packs or the Season Pass on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One in your collection, you will still be able to play 100% of your game and enjoy an enhanced experience through backwards compatibility.

Does this mean the Season Pass won’t be available to purchase separately on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X?
Correct. All content featured will be available as part of Control Ultimate Edition. The original base game, Expansion Packs and Season Pass will not be sold separately on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X.

I own the Control base game and Season Pass. Is this not the same as Control Ultimate Edition?
The objective of Control Ultimate Edition was not to release new exclusive content on the next gen platforms, but to offer the full Control gameplay experience to new Control players in a single, easy-to-find product. The PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X versions of Control contain the same content as the current gen game, though they do take full advantage of the power and features provided by these new consoles.

The upgrade path that we are offering is only possible when upgrading from the same version of the game. As we are only doing additional development on Control Ultimate Edition on the next gen platforms, we are unfortunately unable to offer an upgrade path to all existing Control players. We understand how this might upset a number of players but you will still be able to play the 2019 edition of Control and each Expansion on the new platforms.

Is Control backwards compatible with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X?
Absolutely! Owners of the original edition of Control on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can enjoy backwards compatibility when next gen systems launch.

In conclusion…
To bring Control to next generation consoles in any form, we had to make some difficult decisions and those came in the form of creating the simplified Control Ultimate Edition product plan we have today.

That we took a while in responding does not mean we have not been listening. We are sorry we couldn’t meet everyone’s expectations and we hope you will continue to support Control. We thank you for your support thus far.

https://controlgame.com/ultimateeditioncommunityblog/

Tommy McClain

They would have been better off not stirring the pot with their updated statement since it doesn't present anything new.

The clip was taken from a PS5 build.

MGCYODm.png

Last edited:
Is the woman floating in the air an homage to CP2077? :p
(j/k I know it's in Control).

Btw great that they have a 30fps RT option, but I'd rather have another 60fps RT option; I don't care if it's half res RT

that is kind of what I miss about PC gaming, and what is also a bit of a thing amongst some PC gamers (tm);
a friend who is a pretty big PC fan, would turn off CA, OBM, SSAO, DOF, nearly everything because "they look stupid and don't cost performance" and then be like " look I have 80fps at ultra settings!!11"

It's not really ultra settings if you have to turn half of it off

Is the woman floating in the air an homage to CP2077? :p
(j/k I know it's in Control).

Btw great that they have a 30fps RT option, but I'd rather have another 60fps RT option; I don't care if it's half res RT

that is kind of what I miss about PC gaming, and what is also a bit of a thing amongst some PC gamers (tm);
a friend who is a pretty big PC fan, would turn off CA, OBM, SSAO, DOF, nearly everything because "they look stupid and don't cost performance" and then be like " look I have 80fps at ultra settings!!11"

It's not really ultra settings if you have to turn half of it off

To be fair, CA and DoF shouldn't even be classified as any type of quality setting. They are de-quality settings, they make everything look worse, IMO. :p My eyes don't operate like that and it's headache inducing to have them in game. Same goes for motion blur, ugh. 3 things I immediately turn off.

SSAO generally also makes things look "wrong" and can cost a lot of perf. So, off that one generally goes, although it does sort of work in some games.

It's only been in the last year that Shadows have started to look decent enough in games to where it's worth it to leave it on, IMO. Prior to that there's always been so many things wrong with shadows in games that it's been a distraction that actually reduces the graphics quality of many games, IMO.

But for people that enjoy the jankiness of those settings, more power to them. :)

RT's potential to eventually make SSAO a forgotten piece of the past is the thing that I'm most looking forward to with RT. That and shadows that aren't so horrible and janky.

Regards,
SB

To be fair, CA and DoF shouldn't even be classified as any type of quality setting. They are de-quality settings, they make everything look worse, IMO. :p My eyes don't operate like that and it's headache inducing to have them in game. Same goes for motion blur, ugh. 3 things I immediately turn off.

SSAO generally also makes things look "wrong" and can cost a lot of perf. So, off that one generally goes, although it does sort of work in some games.

It's only been in the last year that Shadows have started to look decent enough in games to where it's worth it to leave it on, IMO. Prior to that there's always been so many things wrong with shadows in games that it's been a distraction that actually reduces the graphics quality of many games, IMO.

But for people that enjoy the jankiness of those settings, more power to them. :)

RT's potential to eventually make SSAO a forgotten piece of the past is the thing that I'm most looking forward to with RT. That and shadows that aren't so horrible and janky.

Regards,
SB

Chromatic aberration and film-grain looks good in certain horror games giving them an old-school B movie appeal. But yes, CA and DoF in general aren't my cup of tea as well.

Its a last gen title, it wont be too intresting for that reason. But nice to see a 30fps/RT mode for those that want RT, and those that want performance can take the 60fps mode.

CA and DoF shouldn't even be classified as any type of quality setting

Those generally dont even eat much performance.

Regards,
SB

That sounds about right. There would also be a "my rig still runs all titles at 60fps ultra!"
But that is not really what ultra settings means.
My old 2007 laptop could run Crysis at "ultra" settings. Yeah I turned everything off, but in my mind those effects cost little to no performance and they make the game look worse anyway lol!

Checked briefly on ps5, game is not a looker also rt probably not worth halving fps. Kudos that switching between performance mode and graphic is instant without need for level restarting.

Tried Control on PS5.

Not convinced at all. I disabled film gain but it still looks very grainy/not clean, maybe the aa is messed up, on scenes with a strong contrast it looks like upscaled 720p with aliasing, it's bad. The animations are not good, and, ok I played for only 2 hours, but it's not fun at all... I guess without the RT buzz, nobody would have talk about this...

@Rootax I played Control at basically 720p medium-ish (so I could get high frame rates) and no RT on my 1060 at the time, and I'd probably say it was my game of the year. The visuals are pretty noisy. A lot of the screen space effects have this weird dithering. I believe it's a combination of the GI and screen space reflections being massively low resolution. It can look pretty ugly at times. Not to mention even on PCs with lots of VRAM textures will stream in late (there are mods to address this issue), and their AA takes a number of frames to converge.

Back