Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you're referring to NBA 2K21

if so, not photo mode however, it's a particular camera angle during play with the backboard transparency that causes frame dips.

I think this may have been the game.
--------------------

Could this be attributed to XBSX possibly using VRS in Control or a lower precision RT reflection during a given scene? (Not my image by the way)

ySUzduJ.jpg

Not sure if you're referring to NBA 2K21

if so, not photo mode however, it's a particular camera angle during play with the backboard transparency that causes frame dips.
Using the same settings in the same scene this game performs better on PS5. But it's during gameplay. The XSX has usually the performance advantage in cutscenes or photo-mode, rarely during gameplay. I think we'll see this pattern for the whole gen.

Using the same settings in the same scene this game performs better on PS5. But it's during gameplay. The XSX has usually the performance advantage in cutscenes or photo-mode, rarely during gameplay. I think we'll see this pattern for the whole gen.

So are we talking possible CPU limitations or strictly issues relating to GPU alpha transparencies / pixel shaders?

So are we talking possible CPU limitations or strictly issues relating to GPU alpha transparencies / pixel shaders?
I think we'll learn more about the why when we'll finally get our hands on a PS5 die shot: unified L3 cache for the CPU would explain most of what we are seeing in gameplay scenes.

Really cool benchmark. "only" 16% gap makes sense -- you can't ever fully saturate a gpu, and faster clocks mean less pain from bad synchronization (my understanding is fast + narrower means periods of bad utilization 'get out of the way' quicker) -- the gap will vary in the real world from closer to the theoretical difference in games that saturate everything super super well (probably rare but maybe not impossible as renderers offload more and more to compute shaders) down to games where the ps5 outperforms (common for crossgen and gonna become very rare as engines modernize) but 16 or less is what i'd expect to see even when the xbox "reaches its potential".

--------------------

Could this be attributed to XBSX possibly using VRS in Control or a lower precision RT reflection during a given scene? (Not my image by the way)

ySUzduJ.jpg
there's no VRS on Control IIRC.
I think that's a bug. Typically VRS doesn't destroy detail that is marked for high quality. It would scale detail really far away instead. Reflection rendering at distance is just fine if you look further back behind it. It's possible they just forgot to include the poster as part of the BVH tree.
The floor by her foot on xbox is also reflecting red on the steps, which is a continuation of the reflection by her right arm. But we don't see that on PS5 for instance. And on the right side of the stairs near the bottom you can see a red tinge on the steps for Xbox reflecting onto it, and that red tinge is missing on PS5 (or at least is extremely difficult to see). So once again, not sure if it's just angling, or being a bit more forward for PS5. But I don't think this is a by product of low vs high. it might just be rendering distance and PS5 is just closer and therefore it rendered and XBox is further back. You can see on the right side of screenshot the red box sticking out that is not present on Xbox. DF does their best to line up the positions, but it may not be perfect.

I think it's just a forgotten texture. Or its' entirely possible as we'll soon find out, there are actual differences between the two games in terms of textures etc. (see below)

Last edited:
I'm hesitant to say that stuff can't explain any fps delta -- if it's decals being excluded from the bvh or ray shader then maybe it has a meaningful impact?

More likely guess: all these missing details are yet another sign of microsoft totally dropping the ball on tools and lots of tiny visual bugs slipping in to the xsx release of a game that came out perfect on ps5.

I wonder if DF can find-out the actual truth behind the file size differences between XBSX and PS5, other than the wishful conjecture that's been going around on gaming boards.

lta -- if it's decals being excluded from the bvh or ray shader then maybe it has a meaningful impact?
Its on the developers to determine what goes into the BVH. They may have just missed a checkbox.

Yes.

PS5 install is around ~28GB
XBSX install is around ~48GB
yup, just checked you're right.

Yea not sure, I guess they forgot to compress it on Xbox or I dunno. The version is GDK; Scarlett Gen 9. So it's delivering the correct version. I think it would deploy a different version on XBO.

16% over 21 test samples!

In this case, I am not sure why photomode would underclock the GPU. On PC - when you turn on photomode, the game's CPU related framerate skyrockets as the entire simulation threads stop. Here I actually think we are looking at a thermal situation on PS5, by means of inference, where the CPU is doing very little and the GPU has all the power it wants for full clocks.
During gameplay the difference should increase a bit, if there isn't another bottleneck (e.g. memory bandwidth).
The corridor of doom is strange, though. If the CPU is somehow limiting here, it would make sense, because than the GPU would not have that much work and the PS5s CPU would "upclock" to it's maximum. That could explain why they are both almost on par in that scene.
But I really don't know why this scene is so CPU limited. Doesn't really look like something special is going on there. Maybe it is just one thread limiting there, or an engine inefficiency or something like that.

yup, just checked you're right.

Yea not sure, I guess they forgot to compress it on Xbox or I dunno. The version is GDK; Scarlett Gen 9. So it's delivering the correct version. I think it would deploy a different version on XBO.
The xbox one version, should also be build with same GDK version, as this is for all xbox one/series consoles.

--------------------

ySUzduJ.jpg

might not be the case, because the shot is not made from the exact same spot. On the PS5 image the character is at least one step nearer or the camera angel is further away on the xbox shot. Might just be that RT is just not done that "far" away ^^. Might be just a step behind the RT border.

Last edited:
16% over 21 test samples!

In this case, I am not sure why photomode would underclock the GPU. On PC - when you turn on photomode, the game's CPU related framerate skyrockets as the entire simulation threads stop. Here I actually think we are looking at a thermal situation on PS5, by means of inference, where the CPU is doing very little and the GPU has all the power it wants for full clocks.

Really interesting video as always. What I find really strange is the abysmal 6800XT performance. Not only is it far slower than it should be compared with the consoles but it's also only 42% as fast as a 3090. Even in an RT title that's way outside of the norm.

I know the double res RT reflections are going to be impacting that comparison so it would be really interesting to see how those same GPU's, and the consoles perform in the exact same scene with RT turned off. That should give some context as to how much impact the rouble res RT reflections are having.

Did PC receive an update with the release of "next gen" versions ? Maybe it did not get the optimisations found in the new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back