Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a gpu limited test - 10900K.
I also have access to Ryzen 5 3600 and a 3900x
Control at 60fps is not taxing the mobile Zen 2 CPUs (8MB cache at 3.5ghz) even a little? A scene GPU limited on a 10900k running at 5ghz might not be GPU limited on those consoles CPUs. And the Ryzen 5 3600 has 32MB of L3 cache. You really should consider testing those games with a similar mobile Zen 2 CPU if you want to really compare the GPU and not a combination of CPU + GPU.

Control at 60fps is not taxing the mobile Zen 2 CPUs (8MB cache at 3.5ghz) even a little? A scene GPU limited on a 10900k running at 5ghz might not be GPU limited on those consoles CPUs. And the Ryzen 5 3600 has 32MB of L3 cache. You really should consider testing those games with a similar mobile Zen 2 CPU if you want to really compare the GPU and not a combination of CPU + GPU.
Why would I do that? The most common CPUs on PC are not mobile ryzen Parts! Steam HW survey Puts the 3600 at immense popularity!

Quick overview for settings.

XCD1yWn.png

So, uh...is this good or bad? xD

...guess Control is kind of like the Red Faction of 8th-gen from what I'm seeing. Everything being destructible at a moment's notice, I actually would prefer more games push for that level of interactivity at the AAA space than simply pushing prettier visuals, even if some settings have to be toned down to make it so.

Last edited:
Why would I do that? The most common CPUs on PC are not mobile ryzen Parts! Steam HW survey Puts the 3600 at immense popularity!
no need for using mobile cpu but for gpu comparison probably better to use ryzen 3600 than intel 10900k (tough I know you testing gpu limited scenes)

...guess Control is kind of like the Red Faction of 8th-gen from what I'm seeing. Everything being destructible at a moment's notice, I actually would prefer more games push for that level of interactivity at the AAA space than simply pushing prettier visuals, even if some settings have to be toned down to make it so.

means PS5 is on par with 4-500dollars cards, not bad for the price.

Well, the résumé of the video was unnecessary. "never looked so good on consoles" ... well, more or less something I would expect at least from a next-gen patch.
I really don't understand why the game has so low settings. Yes, the RT settings are low, I can understand that. But the other settings. Texture resolution just medium, filtering just low, ....
Seems a bit underwhelming for such "big" GPUs like in the next-gen consoles, when the mid-gen consoles already had something similar (expect the RT settings). I didn't expect an SSD optimized engine, but this more or less seems to be a really, really low effort next-gen patch. Just to get the game somehow running with RT.

If I take my RTX3070 (yes I know it is a bit higher performance card than in consoles) and activate RT @1440p I almost never get stable 60fps (actually around 45fps) even if I lower all other non-RT settings. Those other settings don't even change a bit (even going from 4x MSAA to 2XMSAA or turn it off). So RT is limiting the performance here. With RT on @1080p I finally get stable 60fps. The game targets 1440p/30 in RT mode. I really don't see, why they shouldn't reach 30fps with every other setting on high when they even lowered the RT resolution.
What CPU you got?

Well, it performs around RTX2070/5700XT, just as expected.

means PS5 is on par with 4-500dollars cards, not bad for the price.

Depends on where you reside i think then. RX5700XT/RTX2070 class gpus aint 5000 dollars where i am atleast. Their old.
Aside, a 2070 is going to give you better RT; and in case of DLSS, much better performance (which would be stupid to not use at this point).

Well, the résumé of the video was unnecessary. "never looked so good on consoles" ... well, more or less something I would expect at least from a next-gen patch.
I really don't understand why the game has so low settings. Yes, the RT settings are low, I can understand that. But the other settings. Texture resolution just medium, filtering just low, ....
Seems a bit underwhelming for such "big" GPUs like in the next-gen consoles, when the mid-gen consoles already had something similar (expect the RT settings). I didn't expect an SSD optimized engine, but this more or less seems to be a really, really low effort next-gen patch. Just to get the game somehow running with RT.

If I take my RTX3070 (yes I know it is a bit higher performance card than in consoles) and activate RT @1440p I almost never get stable 60fps (actually around 45fps) even if I lower all other non-RT settings. Those other settings don't even change a bit (even going from 4x MSAA to 2XMSAA or turn it off). So RT is limiting the performance here. With RT on @1080p I finally get stable 60fps. The game targets 1440p/30 in RT mode. I really don't see, why they shouldn't reach 30fps with every other setting on high when they even lowered the RT resolution.

RT performance on rdna2 is bad. These aren’t very powerful gpu’s. You get what you get.

That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Don't forget that most journalists (yes, even gaming journalists) started off from a love of writing. And taking some liberties while writing an article is a completely natural creative aspect of the job, even if they may state the obvious at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back