NextGen Audio: Tempest Engine, Project Acoustics, Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, DTS X

Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video (when connected to a supported device)
I'd say they're only listing the formats that fall under Sony's own licensing. I.e. if you're playing a blu-ray then the blu-ray player's license for Atmos is paid by Sony.
But if you're watching Netflix then they're the ones paying the license.

That is to say: streaming apps pay their own licenses, so there's little reason to believe Atmos wouldn't work on the PS5 when watching e.g. Netflix.

I'd say they're only listing the formats that fall under Sony's own licensing. I.e. if you're playing a blu-ray then the blu-ray player's license for Atmos is paid by Sony.
But if you're watching Netflix then they're the ones paying the license.

That is to say: streaming apps pay their own licenses, so there's little reason to believe Atmos wouldn't work on the PS5 when watching e.g. Netflix.
Well it's out in the US, surely someone can tell us?

There is a separate bitstream setting while you're in the blu-ray app that enables atmos output. The one in the main console settings presumably only applies to games.

The rest (no dolby vision, 3D blu-ray, lack of 4k in some apps) is a shame though. Hopefully some of this can be added in future updates.
I think to me the biggest issue is no Atmos in the apps - let alone games!

I'm hopeful its just from a rush of getting the base media apps onto the platform, and that in a few months time after the holiday's and vacations are out of the way, we will see support.

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

To my utterly immense surprise, my now-ancient TV (Sony ZD9 from 2016/2017 I think?) got a software update and it now supports Dolby Atmos on apps such as Netflix, and my AVR is accepting it through eARC.

I can now only hope and wait for Sony to do the same for PS5. One day. Maybe not in 4 years.

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

To my utterly immense surprise, my now-ancient TV (Sony ZD9 from 2016/2017 I think?) got a software update and it now supports Dolby Atmos on apps such as Netflix, and my AVR is accepting it through eARC.

I can now only hope and wait for Sony to do the same for PS5. One day. Maybe not in 4 years.

Correction! So far my AVR is not taking the signal. I’ll have a little check.

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

I wish sony would update their phones that long. Currently its one android OS update, even for 1000 dollar flagship phones.

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

I had 2014 sony tv and even that got one update in 2020, and it were not even expensive model back then

Arc worked well and so does new earc on Sony A8H I got.

Only complain about ps5 is the damn coil whine. I can hear it from other side of the room. Fan is audible too, but not annoying.

And no console is silent, even if people claim it

I've seen 4 PS5s and all have the same "loud" coil whine, so it is what it is. Still annoying because the noise is so piercing that only noise canceling headphones mask it out.

Sony always fucks up by making noisy consoles.

I had 2014 sony tv and even that got one update in 2020, and it were not even expensive model back then

Arc worked well and so does new earc on Sony A8H I got.

Only complain about ps5 is the damn coil whine. I can hear it from other side of the room. Fan is audible too, but not annoying.

And no console is silent, even if people claim it

I've seen 4 PS5s and all have the same "loud" coil whine, so it is what it is. Still annoying because the noise is so piercing that only noise canceling headphones mask it out.

Can you return it and get a new one? I can see high frequency noise being extremely annoying too.

PS5's where not loud during launch time though. Also, coil whine is more typical to higher clocked components. Mine has it but its not audible on normal distances. My GTX670 OC had it (and some other GPUs). Usually coil whine increases when FPS increases. Try sitting in a menu with unlocked framerate.

Back