AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Anyone else here thinks it's ridiculous that reviews of new RDNA2 cards with 3rd party coolers / PCBs continue to popup everywhere?

No one can buy these cards, other than a handful of miners who don't care about gaming performance and will just downvolt and downclock their cards for maximum hash/power.
OEMs are just wasting their marketing budget by sending cards to reviewers at this point.

I guess this is also true for all the RTX30 cards.

Anyone else here thinks it's ridiculous that reviews of new RDNA2 cards with 3rd party coolers / PCBs continue to popup everywhere?

No one can buy these cards, other than a handful of miners who don't care about gaming performance and will just downvolt and downclock their cards for maximum hash/power.
OEMs are just wasting their marketing budget by sending cards to reviewers at this point.

I guess this is also true for all the RTX30 cards.

I understand the reviewers, the have a limited amount of time, so I don't see them saying "send us one when we can buy it". But yeah the situation is ridiculous...

I understand the reviewers, the have a limited amount of time, so I don't see them saying "send us one when we can buy it". But yeah the situation is ridiculous...

Of course I don't blame reviewers.. they're getting cards to test and then post the reviews that get them ad revenue. They're just doing their job.

What I don't get is OEMs sending those cards to reviewers, while perfectly aware that their customers can't buy their cards.

In other words, it's good that RT is still essentially meaningless in games but next year you probably won't want to be using a Radeon 6x00. Or a 3080 because 10GB. Good thing we can't buy them!! :)

But the next generation will probably be out of stock too. :runaway:

See it as an assesment for the console ray tracing hardware abilities. Their gpus will be same ones next year too (if available) ;)

In other words, it's good that RT is still essentially meaningless in games

This whole RT hoopla has really made me pay attention to lighting in games. It’s amazing how we get used to glaring deficiencies.

What do you mean only one light casts dynamic shadows? Why isn’t my car showing up in that cube map reflection on the road? Aaargh!! I can’t unsee that stuff it’s so obvious now. Sadly this generation’s hardware still isn’t nearly fast enough to do proper lighting (using RT or otherwise).

In other words, it's good that RT is still essentially meaningless in games but next year you probably won't want to be using a Radeon 6x00. Or a 3080 because 10GB. Good thing we can't buy them!! :)

But the next generation will probably be out of stock too. :runaway:

I like posts like this when I dive out from my DXR gameplay......excuse me while I go back to my "meaningless" gameplay...don't let reality bump into you /shrugs

This whole RT hoopla has really made me pay attention to lighting in games. It’s amazing how we get used to glaring deficiencies.

What do you mean only one light casts dynamic shadows? Why isn’t my car showing up in that cube map reflection on the road? Aaargh!! I can’t unsee that stuff it’s so obvious now. Sadly this generation’s hardware still isn’t nearly fast enough to do proper lighting (using RT or otherwise).
I am happy that I that is the case - all those things Stick out rather badly to me these days.

Yes, and when you start looking at these things outside your screen, you will start noticing things. How in traffic the first order reflection in approaching cars are there, but the secondary reflections are sometimes absent. Or how the lighting inside the noses of people don't quite have the proper mixture of subsurface scattering and ambient occlusion, so the shadowing is subtly wrong.
And why is there suddenly a number of sturdy fellows closing in on me to take me away....?

Welcome to my pain as a photographer.

Films are another annoyance: two people are having a face-to-face conversation outside and the film shows one of them at a time, where one person is in sunlight and the other person is under an overcast sky. Or, someone is driving and it's sunny. They get out of the car and it's overcast. etc.

Welcome to my pain as a photographer.

Films are another annoyance: two people are having a face-to-face conversation outside and the film shows one of them at a time, where one person is in sunlight and the other person is under an overcast sky. Or, someone is driving and it's sunny. They get out of the car and it's overcast. etc.

Lol I’ve never noticed that in movies but I’m sure it happens.

Of course I don't blame reviewers.. they're getting cards to test and then post the reviews that get them ad revenue. They're just doing their job.

What I don't get is OEMs sending those cards to reviewers, while perfectly aware that their customers can't buy their cards.

Actually you can't at MSRP if you don't get them on the rare restock on the AMD site, but i.e. in Germany it seems to exist some overpriced stock of 6000 series cards ATM, even the 6900XT. You can just check Geizhals.de.

Prices from Denmark today (Proshop):

ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF OC 4.390,00 kr. ($717,95)

ASUS Radeon RX 6800 TUF OC 6.390,00 kr. ($1.045,04)
ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 TUF OC 5.390,00 kr. ($881,50)

ASUS Radeon RX 6800 XT TUF OC 7.190,00 kr. ($1.175,87)
ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 7.290,00 kr ($1.192,23)

ASUS Radeon RX 6900 XT TUF OC 10.590,00 kr. ($1.731,92)
ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC 14.390,00 kr. ($2.353,38)

(Side note: It is very hard to get AMD cards, a lot more NVIDIA cards are flowing into Denmark and has done so ever since launch)

So excuse me while I ignore people from the US whining about prices :devilish:

Back